September 17, 2024, 10:21:57 AM

Author Topic: Nicassar Caravan Firing Arcs  (Read 2136 times)

Offline Loyalist

• Loc: Halifax, NS Canada
Nicassar Caravan Firing Arcs
« on: August 17, 2014, 02:07:28 AM »
Having read the Nicassar Caravan section of BFG 2010 FAQ I'm wondering how one determines the aspect of a target.

I've test fitted Dhows to a Tau orbital and they are too long to be attached parallel to the arms of the modules. This makes it impossible for all four Dhows to face in the same direction of travel. They can be mounted with opposite pairs facing in the same direction, which gives two pairs pointing at 90 degrees to each other, or with all four Dhows facing in different directions as if circling the core module.

Given that situation and the ability of the Caravan as a whole to move in any direction, how do you decide if a target is closing or abeam?

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
Re: Nicassar Caravan Firing Arcs
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 07:21:43 AM »
I would go with the leading Dhow and keep that vessel as the point of orientation regarding anything and everything.

Offline fracas

• WarMancer
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 12:57:21 PM »
or just designate a point on the rig itself

Offline Loyalist

• Loc: Halifax, NS Canada
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 06:41:18 PM »
I think I'll make one pair of longer granitic hook arms so all the Dhows can point in the same direction. No questions about heading then!

Offline Don Gusto

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 03:55:02 PM »
The Nicassar Caravan is classed as a defence (just like the Rigs, Groot Warspheres and Ork Rockz). Shooting of weapon batteries is resolved on the column left of 'closing capital ships' irregardless of facing/heading.
Distance to and from a Caravan is measured from the models stem.

At least thats how I understand it.