July 20, 2024, 04:24:09 AM

Author Topic: [WM] Lizardmen  (Read 6305 times)

Offline pw

[WM] Lizardmen
« on: April 24, 2009, 07:53:50 PM »
I've just picked up a couple of packs of Lizardmen to see whether painting 10mm is for me before buying up a whole army. With Skinks being one of the core choices I thought I'd start there. I'm pretty pleased with how the first pair turned out so here they are for feedback and suggestions before I finish the base.

Here's a 'life size' image:

And here's a larger and slightly less forgiving image:

« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 07:56:35 PM by pw »

Offline Lex

• Global Moderator
  • I wonder...
    • Loc: Bergen op Zoom, Netherlands
    • Warmuster . BitzBox
Re: [WM] Lizardmen
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 08:34:33 PM »
Nice paintjob.

A suggestion when doing the skinks (and to some extend any WM missile based troops), is to "snip" them into seperate models.
Not only gives this more skinks for your money  ;D,  but it also allows for more dynamic basing/modeling on the stands !

Offline Chaos_Rabbit619

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 09:17:54 PM »
Look, Maw... SeaMonkies! *lol* 

no seriously, nice looking figs.

Offline pw

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 09:25:11 PM »
@Lex: Thanks for the 'snipping' suggestion, I'd not have thought of that and it's a great idea. I'm not to worried about getting more bases out of them but breaking up that very regimented look makes perfect sense for skirmishers.

@Chaos_Rabbit619: yep, they shout 'FISHMEN' don't they, particularly in the natty shade of aquarium blue I've slapped on here...

EDIT: 15 minutes later and I'm looking at the cut in my thumb and wondering if I still like my new internet friend Lex  :o. Of course I do... what's cooler than individual mini skinks!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 09:43:26 PM by pw »

Offline Lex

• Global Moderator
  • I wonder...
    • Loc: Bergen op Zoom, Netherlands
    • Warmuster . BitzBox
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 10:10:37 PM »
@Lex: Thanks for the 'snipping' suggestion, I'd not have thought of that and it's a great idea. I'm not to worried about getting more bases out of them but breaking up that very regimented look makes perfect sense for skirmishers.
Always warp them in cloth before snipping, so you dont get one in your eye   8)

But yeah, I love the way you can give character to that type of unit. Actualy, I did that with (almost) all my skaven, which means that each and every unit of skaven looks different.
EDIT: 15 minutes later and I'm looking at the cut in my thumb and wondering if I still like my new internet friend Lex  :o. Of course I do... what's cooler than individual mini skinks!
SNIPE, not cut with a blade ......  and what looks cooler then individual mini skinks ...... well, my youngest son (and to make sure, he gets to do his own sniping because he is past 20  8) ) has made one unit of skinks that is half-submerged ......

Offline Guthwine

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 12:02:27 AM »
Great paintjob, its really alot of effort for such a standart unit, but it defenitely pays off, its looks awesome!
Warmaster:
- Bretonia
- Dwarves
- Highelf WIP

Epic:
-Imperial Guard
-Necrons
-Space Marines WIP

Offline azrael71

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 07:27:38 AM »
Great work here.
For a more individual looking unit you can put very small blobs of green stuff on the eyes to make chameleon skinks, especially if you pick out just the blow pipe ones ;)

Take it from me when snipping, cutting or drilling always wear eye protection!

From your friend one-eyed pete  ;D

Offline pw

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 07:17:03 PM »
Another excellent suggestion, shame there are only three 'blowpipers' per pack but I might give this a go regardless. And the bases give me more ideas for 'junglifying' them up.

Here's a specific question - does anyone else have any basing suggestions/pics to share? Normally I'd go for Vallejo pumice for the base with trimmed static grass but if there are any ideas out there for a more jungle-like base I'd be happy to hear/see them.

Cheers, Paul.

Offline azrael71

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 07:27:01 PM »
Aquatic plastic plants are the way to go.
I did my 4k lizardmen army with a single £2 plant.

Offline pw

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 07:57:52 PM »
@azrael71 - that's an idea I might go with, how did you stick the bits to the base? Superglue? Or are they greenstuffed in? I'm also wondering if they take paint ok?

Cheers - P.

Offline azrael71

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 08:23:53 PM »
They don't take paint at all well.
I used superglue gel to excess to ensure they stopped there wedged between models.

Offline pw

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 09:56:32 PM »
Finally the first base is done. In my impatience to get them finished I went with static grass for the base (slightly trimmed!), at least that way they'll match my terrain. Here they are:

What you might not see is that I dropped them during varnishing, bending a couple of bows and scratching some paint, so it's back to the paint station for these chaps. At the rate I paint it'll be a while before the next base is done but if I can finish them in the next fortnight and get my saurus unit painted I think I'll be ordering up an army, they've been fun to paint and I'm pretty happy with the result.

Offline azrael71

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 10:16:41 PM »
Got to say I loved painting my lizardmen army.
I used a really simple paint scheme yet they still look great on the field :)
Looking forward to the rest of your army.

Offline pw

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 10:25:39 PM »
Looking forward to the rest of your army.
Me too!

I picked Lizardmen because to my eyes the miniatures have real character and the potential to 'pop' on the tabletop. That and I like the idea of painting dinosaurs... I'll post some more pics as and when the units get finished. Then I guess I'll be asking for some army list advice before I go shopping.  ;D

Offline azrael71

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 10:37:50 PM »
Easy take maximum number of Stegs  ;D