October 12, 2024, 01:24:17 AM

Author Topic: [SH] Ecorium terrain for 3d printing  (Read 31216 times)

Offline Malika

• Loc: Netherlands
    • Bits Blitz
Re: [SH] Ecorium terrain for 3d printing
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2014, 03:10:40 PM »

I'm considering this design finished for now.

The floor component is 10.75mm thick whilst the wall component is 12.5mm thick (counting the connector and bottom part as well).

The detailing has been kept rather simple. Extra stuff will be separate components that could be added later on. One lesson I kinda learnt is that terrain shouldn't outshine models, which can sometimes be a challenge. :)
Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2014, 04:27:20 AM »
Just to say i continue to check what you do every day, and like what i see every day.

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2014, 07:06:10 AM »
Thanks! :D

Here a shot of a whole bunch of these two components put together:

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2015, 06:10:22 PM »
Took a little break from the weapons and robotic hounds and went back to one of my old loves: Space Hulk terrain!

Wall component and floor piece:

Corner component ('front' and 'back' views):

The system allows for easy creation of corridors and rooms. The clunkiness makes sure that you won't need connectors or anything like that, at the same time it kind of adds to the whole claustrophobic vibe of the design.

The main challenge is the size of the wall and corner components. Note that each component is 40mm x 40m (length and width). This is where the clunkiness of the walls becomes a bit problematic. You can't shove a tun of them in an envelope or easy sprue. Weight might also become a problem.

A possible solution for this is to cut the walls in two, but it would mean more parts if you want something complete. Also, the corner piece can't really be cut in two.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2015, 10:06:56 AM »
Looking good!
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Geep

« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2015, 12:22:36 PM »
I agree that it looks good.

If you really want those thick walls able to be posted I'd go drastic- cut it onto 5 sections (walls and ceiling). That can be done for the side and corner walls just as easily. You'd need to design a tab system for easy assembly though.

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2015, 05:15:07 PM »
Here's a little update:

I've managed to break the repetition of the pattern a bit by removing the middle vertical pipe. One other thing I'd like to include here is a separate part that could be added into the middle square of the wall component. That part could include different types of control panels, closets, giant fans, etc. I would perhaps make 3-5 of such different components, allowing you to customize the wall parts and make them more unique.

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2015, 01:36:06 PM »

I've removed the 'half' rivets on the sides of the wall pieces. They might have proven to be a potential castability problem. I've also started working on one of the panels, as you can see in the centre wall piece. You can simply stick those in the existing wall pieces, thereby allowing some variation on your wall designs. Will be doing a few more of those to create some more variation.

Next up would be the hollowing out of the wall pieces and corner pieces, which will be a bit tricky. However, it would make it a lot cheaper to cast and transport.

Offline Geep

« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2015, 06:46:39 AM »
Looks good. Will some of the stick-on bits be covering more?
You could also make a sprue of smaller bits- pipes and things that will go over the centre areas, but just act as more details, not actually covering them.

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2015, 11:37:28 AM »
Thanks for asking!

I have been pondering about designing some computer consoles that should cover a big chunk of the wall component. Top screens and console would be 'plugged' into the round holes on the top and bottom.

The idea of a sprue has really got me thinking. I really love what Maelstrom's Edge did with their ]url=http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/810/644194.page#7779147]terrain sprue[url]. Might try to do something similar that would be compatible with the wall and floor components I'm designing. However, it's a bit lower on my priorities list since I'd first need the basics to be working. :-)

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #100 on: May 28, 2015, 12:43:52 PM »
I've been postponing hollowing out the wall components. Not because I don't want to hollow them out, but mainly because I got distracted by other things...

Very much inspired by this little snippet I got intrigued by the idea of making separate bits that you could put on the existing model. So that you'd have the basic kit (walls and floors) but then can add all sorts of extra components on top of that. Rather than having to produce tons of different walls and such.

So first up, another wall panel variant:

It's supposed to be a safe, or a secret tunnel or something. I feel that it might need some more detailing though...

Pipes have always been a soft spot of mine, my first versions of these type of constructs included all sorts of advanced pipe systems running underneath the floors. This is sort of my tribute to those old versions. At the moment the pipe system consists of two components, allowing to connect to sides of the wall to one another. However, I might do some variants in case people make broader pathways and such.

Computer consoles are always a must in this sort of project. Here are two components, still very early WIP. The control console (the one on the bottom) still needs a whooooole lot of detailing and stuff added to it. The top one is almost ready, a few details here and there. However, both still need to be hollowed out to reduce material cost (both for printing and casting) and weight.

Of course there would have to be a wall panel variant with some larger screen and controls on it, but that'll be up next!

Offline Geep

« Reply #101 on: May 28, 2015, 01:38:37 PM »
Great stuff.

That screen on the upper computer console made me think of a large pipe. That'd be a simple thing to add- put a cover over it like the one on the safe door and it could go on the top or bottom of a wall angle (dispensing something, or as a waste bin).

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #102 on: May 29, 2015, 08:51:21 PM »
In the meantime I continued working on the safe:

Added a lot of detail to it. Got rid of those giant bolts on the sides, replacing them for smaller ones. Also added some other bits here and there, and fixed the doors, felt they were missing something...

Also continued working on the computer consoles. The 'console' component on the bottom part will probably be a separate bit, which will allow me to make a few variants with different buttons/handles/etc.

And yes, I've built a new pipe component... One thing of note, since I've taken this screen shot I've added a wide 'ring' around the beginnings of the pipes, where they connect with the walls, to make it look better. I think you call it a 'coupling' in English?

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #103 on: May 29, 2015, 10:00:29 PM »
It's Friday night and I'm lacking a social nightlife... :P

I've been toying with the idea of a wall component variant for a window. The tricky thing is that I don't like it to be just a big hole. Meaning I'll have to design an actual window component. Sadly enough that's not the difficult part, the tricky part will probably be the casting, but I think that shouldn't be impossible to solve. :)

Offline Geep

« Reply #104 on: May 30, 2015, 04:26:08 AM »
If you don't mind the odd look from the outside, hollow windows with domes over them can be great. If you paint the inside of the dome with the required scene (stars etc.) It'll appear to 'move' in a fairly realistic way as you change your viewing angle of the window. Lighting can be a problem though.

Good idea on the pipe couplings.