October 12, 2024, 03:26:47 AM

Author Topic: [SH] Ecorium terrain for 3d printing  (Read 31220 times)

Offline Malika

• Loc: Netherlands
    • Bits Blitz
Re: [SH] Ecorium terrain for 3d printing
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2014, 08:18:58 PM »
Another revision in the design. I've removed some of the details of the wall panels. At first I was worried that they'll become too bland when losing the details, but I think the design looks more powerful now. What do you think?

Also, I started working on some window components, it's still WIP since I need to add some more details here and there, and also a means of shoving a piece of see through plastic into it.

Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2014, 09:31:52 PM »
In the meantime, a quick update on the windows:

Offline Islacrusez

• Loc: Plymouth, United Kingdom
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2014, 10:43:19 PM »
I don't think the design of the wall pieces is appropriate for such an oft repeated piece... If it is to have a vertical central feature (light) it should probably have at least one other piece to alternate with (and should then be assessed with both side-by-side) or have horizontal and thus more continuous features. At any rate I do not think it is appropriate for the "default wall" piece.
Quite crucial to be able to tell minefields and rally points apart...

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2014, 11:16:30 PM »
Dammit, you're right! Now that you mention it, the wall design is starting to annoy me now. Which means I'd need to have another detailing in the center. Lights would then go in the ceiling (bottom of the floor tiles). This means that light will have to be redesigned so that the tile can be placed in any angle without it looking off compared to the rest.

Back to the drawing table I guess! :)

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2014, 07:30:08 AM »
Ok, so I removed the details of the wall panels. Didn't like them too much anymore, the lights seem too dominant and those side speaker things looked a bit silly, especially in that size!

I need a new detailing pattern for the walls. Not sure yet if that's going to be a vertical or a horizontal one. More on that later I guess.

However, I did build the some lights, now they're underneath the floor tiles. Meaning you could see them if you have multiple levels.

Maybe it's the colours, but right now the design really feels like some sort of scifi prison to me, which in itself isn't such a bad thing I guess! :)

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2014, 10:36:05 AM »
New version of the standard wall:

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2014, 01:48:07 PM »
Blast shuttered windows!

It's not a variant on the whole component, but a separate piece you can add on to the windows you want closed down. Left is the window with the blast shutter placed on it, right is a normal window.

On the bottom you can see the new version of the standard wall component

Offline Islacrusez

• Loc: Plymouth, United Kingdom
« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2014, 03:12:35 PM »
I think part of the problem might be the connection system you've opted for - it separates the segments and enforces the grid.

That said, why not use the "blank" panels as the default wall, with the others as optional details? One thing you could try on them is to replace the top pipe set with long vents of similar dimensions?
Quite crucial to be able to tell minefields and rally points apart...

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2014, 03:18:42 PM »

Little extra bit. The component containing the rifles can be removed, meaning I can also make other components such as screens, consoles, etc.

@Islacrusez: Let me ponder a bit on that one. :)

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2014, 12:05:21 PM »
Started working on an elevator:

The thing still needs a lot of work, insides and platform need detailing, the platform will also need some sort of control panel. The block that pushed the platform up will need more details, but will also be cut in two pieces, enabling you to make the elevator look as if it's moving between two levels.

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2014, 07:58:52 PM »
Here's the second version of the elevator. I removed the silly ramps and the block pushing the platform up and down. The insides have also received some detailing.

The only real problem I'm running into now is how to keep the platform stuck where ever I want. It's also rather difficult to move the platform up and down, especially if the elevator is deep inside a structure. But then again I really wonder how often who would move such a bit. It's not like you'd constantly open up your transport vehicle's hatches every time you unleash your cargo during a game.

Just realized this could be pretty cool terrain for Necromunda as well!

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2014, 11:59:35 AM »
Here a bonus picture by the way...

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2014, 10:05:42 AM »
Hmm, I'm seriously stuck and it's really frustrating me. At the moment we're pondering about a new version for the connectors:

It's castable, but it would mean I'd need to redesign the walls, and we'd lose a lot of its modular character: multiple floors become rather difficult, splitting up rooms will be impossible. However, it does mean (a lot) less parts and easy castability.

But on a personal level it then makes me wonder, why bother with this then if I can get a kit by Hirst Arts, Spacestation X or Battle Systems? Or even better, spend that extra buck on a Zone Mortalis table!

It basically means I need to get back to the drawing table and come up with a connector system that (a) maintains the modular character of what I've done so far, (b) doesn't look too obvious and (c) is easy to cast.

In the meantime, to maintain my own sanity, I put some Half Life characters in my previous modular system:

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2014, 10:45:11 AM »
Philip Sibbering and I have been experimenting with different means of connecting the panels, check it out here.

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2014, 02:28:07 PM »