October 12, 2024, 01:23:28 AM

Author Topic: [SH] Ecorium terrain for 3d printing  (Read 31215 times)

Offline harec

Re: [SH] Ecorium terrain for 3d printing
« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2015, 05:49:35 AM »
Very nice malika, as always ;)
I colaborate with a spanish blog called profanus40k.
http://profanus40k.blogspot.com.es/

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2015, 09:31:12 PM »
hard to do but i love the idea of the ship seen by the window.

Offline Malika

• Loc: Netherlands
    • Bits Blitz
« Reply #107 on: June 01, 2015, 04:25:19 PM »
It could be done through hi-res printed pictures, something like this. :)
Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #108 on: June 03, 2015, 09:46:05 AM »
Been putting together the components I've got:

The new wall component variant (the light grey ones) allow for walls to 'end'. I'd imagine that these would be a later addition to the set if/when these things would go in production. The basic kit would basically only include the floor tiles, straight walls and corner pieces. Others bits are 'expansions' if you will.

No, I still haven't updated the ventilation grill front piece yet. It will need some work to match the level of detailing the safe has. The grill will also be sharpened up a bit. The computer components are slowly evolving. The 'keyboard' bit will be separate and I have been working on a few variants, more on that soon!

However, the biggest change so far must have been the floor panels. There was something about the small panels that didn't feel fully right. Also, the gaps in the previous version's edges would have been tricky with casting (one tiny miscast the the parts won't fit anymore). So I made them clunkier! No worries though, future variants might once again include smaller tiles and such, but they are lower on my priorities list at the moment.

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #109 on: June 03, 2015, 08:44:36 PM »
Excellent aspect. Completly in the 40K style.

One interrogation. Don't you think the walls will be a little bit too high to mainpulate figs inside them ?

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #110 on: June 04, 2015, 09:26:35 AM »
40k but then without the whole gothic/skulls angle. It's one of the things I dug about the old Space Hulk and Necromunda aesthetic. Very techy, but crude looking, but not immediately some death obsessed cathedral. (don't get me wrong, I love the 40k aesthetic, but not for this project)

As for the walls, from the top of the floor tile up, the wall is 54.5mm, the floor panels are 40mm x 40mm. I doubt it would be difficult to manipulate the figures inside.

I started working on a gun turret. It's a two part bit, allowing you to move it into different positions. I'll probably also be doing a variant based on the energy pistol (bottom one):
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 09:50:27 AM by Malika »

Offline Geep

« Reply #111 on: June 04, 2015, 02:02:19 PM »
Great idea, though I think some kind of camera sight should be added (on top or on a side). Even if fully automated, it needs to detect things somehow.

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #112 on: June 04, 2015, 02:11:36 PM »
I imagined that the round thingie underneath the barrel would be some sort of sensor that tracks any potential targets. No need for actual camera. I am however interested in also doing some sort of CCTV like system, but kinda have to ponder how to do that...

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #113 on: June 05, 2015, 02:15:30 PM »

Lots of little things done. The holding mechanism of the gun turret can also be used to carry other equipment. I've included another weapon (a variant on my original energy pistol) and also a screen. Expect more stuff to appear soon. Would love to do some robotic arms and whatever else I can come up with...

The computer console has also received some attention. Still need to add some detailing on the top and build the mechanism to hold the keyboard component.

Also, the floor panels and ventilation grill wall variant have also been updated slightly.

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2015, 07:14:16 PM »
As you can see, I've continued working on the computer consoles:

The major update is the removal of the round screen at the top mounted console. I've replaced it for a smaller screen. This also allowed me to make another top component variant which contains two screens.

The existing 'computer' box has been updated as well, mainly some detailing. I'm currently working on making a mechanism for it that allows players to put different keyboards/controllers on top. At the moment I've got two types of controllers, but there will probably be a few more just for the cool factor.

The bottom bit (bottom left, light grey device) has been completed as well. I guess it'll be some sort of plug hub, allowing other devices to be connected to it or something.

I still haven't made a wall plate that contains a large screen. So for now the walls are covered with the wall plates I've already had (the safe and ventilation shaft).

Offline Geep

« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2015, 12:58:05 AM »
That's looking great.

Do you intend to make any kind of scatter terrain- barrels, etc. not affixed to walls?

If you want to follow an idea from Space Hulk, you could make air vents- exactly the same as corridors, only smaller and higher.

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2015, 03:14:11 PM »
Do you intend to make any kind of scatter terrain- barrels, etc. not affixed to walls?
I did work on a container last year:

Looking back at it, I feel I can come up with something better. Also, I'd like to design some smaller crates and barrels.

If you want to follow an idea from Space Hulk, you could make air vents- exactly the same as corridors, only smaller and higher.
Might be an interesting idea, might play with that in a later version of the system.

Right now there are still two major things that need to be done, and I've been postponing both of them:

Hollowing out the wall components
The wall components are currently solid pieces. Whilst that in itself might not be that bad, it does increase the print costs greatly. Not only that, it also means more material is needed to cast the models. That isn't such a problem since the material doesn't cost too much, however...weight will pop up here. If we can decrease the weight of the models, shipping costs will greatly decrease!

But hollowing out the components is a very time consuming thing, and I've been postponing it for a long time now. Will have to look into that shortly though...

Doors/gates
I've been wanting to do them for a while now. I really love the idea of those very heavy hangar doors. I'm a big fan of what Forge World did with the Zone Mortalis doors. However, I'd like to do something a bit more modular in nature, meaning you could easily conect multiple doors to one another to make it look as if you've got these super wide doors.

The 'minimum requirements' for a door system would be:
-new wall variant (one that can support the door)
-door component(s). Not sure if it will be a single piece or a two piece bit that allows for other doors to be placed in between if you'd want to make it wider
-new floor variant. I'd love the idea that the doors have "teeth" on the bottom and the floor has holes for those teeth to enter. Just looks a lot heavier and more intense. Will try to play with this asap.

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2015, 07:21:07 PM »
Nothing really new, just copied the floor and wall pieces a bit to get a more complete view:

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #118 on: June 09, 2015, 10:48:36 AM »
I tweaked the floor panels a bit...

Here's the 'normal' ones, so without the grill:

Here are the ones with the grill:

And when combined:

Offline Geep

« Reply #119 on: June 09, 2015, 12:45:05 PM »
Is the grill just a texture, or do the holes go all the way through? Depending on floor thickness, some where the holes go all the way through may be a good addition. It'd probably be best as a two-part floor piece- one with the usual boundary and a deep-set series of pipes, over which can fit the see-through floor panel. Maybe that's too much effort for a floor?