July 19, 2024, 06:18:07 PM

Author Topic: Modelling bits for 3d printing  (Read 110345 times)

Offline Malika

• Loc: Netherlands
    • Bits Blitz
Re: Modelling bits for 3d printing
« Reply #375 on: March 10, 2021, 01:21:29 PM »
Work on the grav gondola is ongoing...
Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #376 on: March 19, 2021, 12:05:25 PM »
Some new scatter terrain:

6mm Waste Bins Set

Even in the future you need somewhere to put your rubbish.

Set contains:

4 x large waste bins with lids

8 x bins (2 variants)

4 x wheelie bins

Novan Elite and Regular shown for scale purposes only and is not included in this set.
https://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/shop/6mm-waste-bins-set/

6mm Gothic Dragons Teeth

A set of 30 x individual dragons teeth tank obstacles.

Novan Elite shown for scale purposes only and is not included in this set.
https://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/shop/6mm-gothic-dragons-teeth/

Offline osjclatchford

• Loc: chigwell, essex, uk
« Reply #377 on: March 19, 2021, 01:18:32 PM »
takin' out the trash! literally!
2017 Droppod Studios -  A subsidiary of the OSJC

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #378 on: April 01, 2021, 10:18:54 AM »
Teaser...

Offline Lord Borak

• Loc: United Kingdom
« Reply #379 on: April 05, 2021, 12:15:50 PM »
Nice!  ;D

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #380 on: April 08, 2021, 12:45:03 PM »
Very impressive scatter stuff!
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #381 on: April 13, 2021, 12:43:46 PM »
I really hope that Vanguard will release more of my scatter terrain bits. I've already submitted a bunch of cogitator banks and holodesks a long time ago, but they're in the internal production queue.

Offline osjclatchford

« Reply #382 on: April 17, 2021, 09:18:26 AM »
good luck with that. here's to hoping they don go the way of your lovely ordnace models and get lost to folly and time...

yes I'm still bitter about that! LOL... ::)

all great stuff though...

Offline Lord Borak

« Reply #383 on: April 18, 2021, 11:18:29 AM »
Please don't release any more scatter terrain. My Wallet hasn't recovered yet lol.  ;) :o

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #384 on: April 18, 2021, 08:46:03 PM »
good luck with that. here's to hoping they don go the way of your lovely ordnace models and get lost to folly and time...

yes I'm still bitter about that! LOL... ::)

all great stuff though...

Don't get me started on that. It's kinda frustrating, if not almost heartbreaking, to see your designs submitted (and in some cases even printed) but then end up trapped in production limbo and in some cases eventually disregarded . :(

Offline Lord Borak

« Reply #385 on: April 19, 2021, 07:53:11 AM »
Have you not considered getting them cast up yourself? It's what I did in the end.

Offline horizon

• Mod
  • Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #386 on: April 19, 2021, 08:21:16 AM »
Agreeing with Lord Borak here. And in case you don't have the equipment to do by your own I think your network will have some possible options. Right?

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #387 on: April 20, 2021, 10:58:31 AM »
I could do that, but it would mean I'd have to design new models since I've sold the rights to those previous designs to Vanguard Miniatures. I am tempted to give it a shot though, or perhaps even sell them through a Print on Demand service or something. Still in doubt.

In the meantime...one of my 6mm designs finally got released!

Novan Regulars – Self-propelled Heavy Siege Mortar

An uncommon sight on the field of battle the self-propelled heavy siege mortar can however be found in very small numbers as assets in most Novan Regulars artillery regiments.

Set contains:

2 x heavy ordnance hulls

12 x siege mortar components sprues

Models painted by Gregory Bailly
https://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/shop/novan-regulars-self-propelled-heavy-siege-mortar/

Offline osjclatchford

« Reply #388 on: April 20, 2021, 05:06:29 PM »
I know you and I have been over this before regarding your fleetscale ordnance models, but some of it bears mentioning again for the others, I feel that third party print services are gonna end up far too expensive for the casual buyer.
shapeways, is a good example, they charge the earth, give piss-poor quality print and mediums and only get the author +/- 2% proffit.
the vanguard business model is nice when it works because the author gets the one high end print then, its cast and sold for them, the buyer getting a great and cheap model in a reliable medium and the author gets a better percentage, well, I assume. please do correct me if wrong...

I know I'm prejudice, but I can tell you now I wont buy 3d prints anymore because of the effect of them when stored over years... so much of my 3d printed models in my bfg thread that are in gw storage boxes require me to clean them up of leaked salts, oils and residues with a toothbrush once or twice a year now... you've got to agree that thats fucking rubbish considering the cost of the bloody things... and, no not unpainted stuff ( i know that can degrade), no,  I'm talking about ones that are already bloody painted!
the grey-night strikecruiser, the deathwatch strikecruiser, the falcions (these are particularly oily for some reason), the two 'razor' prowed cruisers (the voss armageddon and mars battlecruisers) and the earliest painted of my grimdarkbitz thunderhawks a bit too...
its horrible. cant understand it at all. If you've got to go and buy a uv lamp to cure it for six weeks after buying it, then its no fucking good is it? at the price they charged it should be done before its even shipped... I'd sooner wait longer and get better stuff...

so far the printed backpacks and chainaxes on my spacesharks have shown no similar degredation as of yet. they have all been undercoated with humbrol matt black (no. 33) as opposed to chaos black spray which (afaik) all the offending ships were painted with... perhaps thats the issue then?
I do live in a damp house but this is counteracted with a dehumidifying system. perhaps either of these are contributing factors? but it shouldn't matter.
I'm truly buggered if i know but I can assure you that I'm not and will not likely EVER be sold on 3d prints that cost more than a few quid a go. 
but, hell, even then, its not just the cost of the model is it? its all the time and labour and love you put into modelling and painting it thats getting soiled too. its heartbreaking.   

oh, god ive been triggered, haven't I?
I shall try and stop now while I can... ::)

scourge scenics have some glorious stuff, not bought any though. for that very reason, just look at the pics, it looks like it would break apart with the first swipe of a drybrush... I'd love to know if any of you here have had similar stuff with shapeways products or if you've tried scourge scenics stuff at all?

I remember i tried to get the guys at scourge scenics to consider malika as a guest author but it seems they just gave it bollocks... 

GAH! I really don't get it...  nor do i want to I think...

nice to have a rant up though...

anyway, back on topic, those bomards are gorgeous!
the painted examples show off the detail to wonderous effect... really really nice...

« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 05:08:24 PM by osjclatchford »

Offline horizon

• Mod
  • Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #389 on: April 21, 2021, 10:07:31 PM »
First time I hear of 'leaking' 3d prints. That's crappy.

What has improved with printing is the switch to resin printing which is being made. Quite an improvement. Vanguard uses this for example.