July 19, 2024, 06:24:28 PM

Author Topic: Modelling bits for 3d printing  (Read 110347 times)

Offline Malika

• Loc: Netherlands
    • Bits Blitz
Re: Modelling bits for 3d printing
« Reply #135 on: April 24, 2015, 10:34:51 AM »
Thanks!

One thing I wanted to do with these weapons is that they'd have a lot of design elements in common with each other. The philosophy behind it, especially with the energy weapons, is that the weapons' components could be interchangeable. Whilst the automatic weapons might use different types of ammunition, the energy weapons all have the same type of battery. The weapon on the bottom left shouldn't be a laser weapon, I might have to change the barrel a bit then.

Next up would be some more automatic rifles, a few energy pistols, and maybe some types of shotguns.

Close combat weapons will also need some attention, would like to avoid chainswords and such, so maybe more stuff like power clubs/mauls, etc.
Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Offline Geep

« Reply #136 on: April 24, 2015, 01:12:48 PM »
I think the bottom left weapon is fine, it's simply that my brain has been trained to see that particular barrel type and think 'laser'. Similarly, the ridges on the back mean 'plasma'. It's an odd association that you have no need to try and conform to, and in fact I'd suggest you don't to help your designs be unique.

As a shotgun idea, one gun I've always liked is the flak cannon from Unreal Tournament. Purely a personal preference thing, but that weapon idea just seems cool to me. Grenade launchers are also a personal favourite.

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #137 on: April 28, 2015, 01:04:46 PM »
Something was kinda bugging me about the pistol designs, so I tweaked them a bit...

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #138 on: April 29, 2015, 04:46:53 PM »
The solid round pistols are as good as ready:

Next up: 1-3 energy pistols, and then the pistol pack should be ready.

Currently got 4 rifles, the autorifle will need some serious tweaking, and then a few more variants need to be made. After that it's a shotgun type weapon. The goal, like the pistols, is to have a sprue of 8 to 10 weapons.

After that it'll be some more close combat oriented stuff, mainly baton/club/mace like weapons and some shields. Other close combat stuff might be some combat knives, and I definitely want to give it a shot at some more scifi styled throwing axes.

Offline Geep

« Reply #139 on: April 30, 2015, 01:14:07 AM »
Looking good, as always

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #140 on: May 01, 2015, 12:18:40 PM »
Started working on three new weapons:

On the left we see a type of club/maul/mace. Still an early WIP, will need to scifi it up a bit, add some techy stuff on the head.

Then there's the axe, it's as good as finished. I liked the idea of an axe with a way smaller handle, meaning it could only be hold by one hand. Maybe even as a sort of throwing axe.

Finally the new energy pistol. It still needs a lot of work. At the moment it's something that looked better in my head than it does on the screen. Need to play with it some more to make it work...

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #141 on: May 07, 2015, 12:31:07 PM »
Got the clubs ready...

Felt they needed to have some more on them, so spikes and such on it to really hurt opponents.

Offline Geep

« Reply #142 on: May 07, 2015, 03:21:02 PM »
Nice work. What size are they? 2-handed?

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #143 on: May 07, 2015, 03:27:53 PM »
They are all about 27mm long, so I would assume they're more meant as two handed weapons. They have two version of the 2-handed grips, the left ones (grips on the end of the bar and next to the head) are meant to be for more 'accurate' attacks. The ones on the right (long grip on the end of the bar) are more meant to wildly swing them around.

However, when looking at GW and other companies proportions of weapons compared to miniature size, they all tend to be oversized anyways. I think you could even get away with counting them as single handed weapons in that context...

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #144 on: June 30, 2015, 07:38:24 PM »
Been working on the drones again...

It's kind cool to see how this has become this:

And yes, it's going to be a multi-part kit...

The creature is almost finished. It just needs a little bit of detailing here and there, especially the head/neck need a bit of work. The shoulders are also a bit tricky since I need to tweak them so they can easily connect to the torso.

And then there's this fellow who is slowly growing up to become:

This one needs a bit more work than the previous drone though, lots of detailing and gear still needs to be added. The head also needs some serious tweaking.

For both drones the human model next to them represent a 30mm model (from the bottom of its feet to the top of its head). This makes both drones about 33mm tall (also from the bottom of their feet to top of their heads). Also, the parts of the two drones are interchangeable. :)

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #145 on: September 03, 2015, 09:32:12 PM »
Something was bothering me about the legs of these creatures. And then it hit me: get rid of the 'human legs'! And yes, it makes the machines stand a bit taller (34mm from bottom of the feet to the top of the head). However, it does make them look scarier. But that might also be the additional details...

Many months ago I started working on this fellow. Kinda cool to see what it has become. It's almost done, it's mainly the legs that need to be finished. But don't be surprised if I'll end up adding/changing a lot of details.

Remember this one? Still very much a work in progress, but it's getting there slowly. The legs still need a whole lot of work and the arms (especially the shoulders and elbows) need some fixing up.

In the meantime I've also ordered one of the robots' torsos, a head, arm, and leg to see how they'll fit to one another. Hopefully I'll be able to share some pics soon...

Offline Geep

« Reply #146 on: September 04, 2015, 03:16:17 AM »
It's good to see more progress, and the parts break-down. I don't know how I missed that update before.

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #147 on: September 10, 2015, 06:34:09 PM »
Finally got some test prints in! One thing I can say is that I'm kinda digging Shapeways' FXD material, it really handles the detail rather well. The only downside is that there are still printlines and the material would need extensive cleaning. Subtle Discord wrote some interesting stuff on that.

Another 'downside' of the material is that it's see-through, making it rather tricky to photograph.

But yeah, enough talk!

Weapons:

Scrapbot components:

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #148 on: September 10, 2015, 09:38:16 PM »
Nice ones. I like them all.

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #149 on: October 11, 2015, 09:59:39 AM »
Started working on "version 2.0" of the hounds. The previous versions felt a bit too large for my tastes, I wanted something more wolf or dog sized rather than giant hellhound. So I started tweaking some bits and I've got the torso and head ready:

The human model represents a 28mm miniature.