July 19, 2024, 04:27:31 PM

Author Topic: Modelling bits for 3d printing  (Read 110340 times)

Offline Malika

• Loc: Netherlands
    • Bits Blitz
Re: Modelling bits for 3d printing
« Reply #105 on: December 08, 2014, 09:05:31 PM »

Not sure yet what I wanna do with this. It's basically me trying to build a tower, but the scale is still a bit of a mystery. At first I imagined it to be a complete city, the model is about 15cm tall, so it would have been perfect for BFG scaled stuff. However, since it's standing on a planet's surface, it might not be that interesting for such games. I could keep the model the same and count it as an Epic scaled thing, which in itself could be interesting. Or keep it at the 28mm scale, and have it be some sort of broadcast tower.

Or maybe forget about the whole model and approach it as an artwork piece...

Options, options, options!
Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Offline Geep

« Reply #106 on: December 10, 2014, 06:55:14 AM »
It's definitely an interesting thing, but 'what is it?' does spring to mind quite quickly.

Offline Ole

• TTT
    • Loc: Hamburg
Modelling bits for 3d printing
« Reply #107 on: December 10, 2014, 07:42:48 AM »
Great it remines my of a heaven class spire

But our princess is in another castle!

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2015, 03:35:49 PM »
Started working on something more infantry sized...

It's basically a more humanoid version of my hounds and other creatures. Drones put together by whatever pieces of scrap there are. I kind of imagine this to be a robotic zombie of a sorts.

Still very much a WIP, the basic shape is there, but now the detailing needs to be done...

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #109 on: March 20, 2015, 10:26:23 AM »
Started working on two other drones:

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #110 on: March 20, 2015, 11:44:51 AM »
What size are these ones?
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Geep

« Reply #111 on: March 20, 2015, 01:20:12 PM »
I like the idea of them. I'd suggesting making the legs thicker on the latter two though, and maybe varying the arms a bit more on the first one. You could also branch away from the human template a bit with an occasional track or wheel (depending on how crazy you want them to look, vs actually functional).

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #112 on: March 20, 2015, 05:55:05 PM »
@Stormwind: They are about 32mm tall (from bottom of the feet to the top of the head).

@Geep: I agree with you on the legs, I will see what I can do. However, I don't want to bulk them up too much since I still want them to have this rather frail undead kinda vibe.

Plan is to make around 5-10 different fellows, so there will be variations. Also, if I'm not gonna do them multipart, it should be rather easy to chop them up and make even more variants.

As for branching away from the human template, have you seen the creatures on the previous pages? ;-)

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2015, 05:38:20 PM »
Started working on the rifle, it's about 99% ready I think. In the meantime I also ended up doing a pistol variant. As you might notice it's quite a chunky one. I imagined it more as a kinda 'single shot' variant of the rifle.

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2015, 01:59:31 PM »
I continued working on the junkbots. Slowly adding more and more details to the figures, changing their poses a bit, etc.

The human model represent a 32mm tall miniature, just to give you an idea of scale. I am a little bit tempted to increase the size of the junkbot models by 10% or so, not sure yet...

Whilst the legs and arms are already quite detailed, the torsos still need a lot of work. I'm trying out to include some spinal elements in there, but I'd also love to have a bunch of them with their 'guts' (I guess tubes and such) hanging out, to still go for that robotic zombie feel.

The more I play with the models, I notice that the arms really should be interchangeable. I kinda need to figure out if that would then mean that the bodies/limbs would get a pin connector (kinda like the models you can easily put together from the 40k starter kit), or take the easy road and leave the connectors out (meaning you'd have to glue the model together).

Heads are going to be even tricker to get as separate pieces, would need to kinda rework the whole neck area (mainly for the fellow on the right), but that should be doable...

Offline Geep

« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2015, 09:08:51 PM »
I like them all. The one second from the left though has triggered, "If you want it then you should have put a ring on it..." in my head... his dancing is clearly not impressing the girl, however.

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #116 on: April 01, 2015, 04:02:20 PM »
Very early WIP...

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #117 on: April 02, 2015, 09:20:02 AM »
I've been extensively updating the hounds, adding all sorts of details, fixing their tails, adding spinal columns and all sorts of other nastiness to them. They still need a lot of work though, like the legs for starters...

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #118 on: April 02, 2015, 11:29:25 AM »
Dang they look like mean hounds!
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Geep

« Reply #119 on: April 02, 2015, 02:30:32 PM »
Those are very cool- will all of that extra detail be able to be shown on the model though?