August 18, 2024, 01:23:20 PM

Author Topic: [BFG] - Designing new ship types - 3d printing madness  (Read 151026 times)

Offline Malika

• Loc: Netherlands
    • Bits Blitz
Re: [BFG] - Designing new ship types (Homeworld inspired)
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2013, 04:54:29 PM »
Some people mentioned they didn't like the eagle head as a prow, here are two alternate designs. Just as a backup in case the eagle head won't work out at all...

Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Offline fracas

• WarMancer
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2013, 11:39:32 PM »
I liked the eagle prow

Offline Islacrusez

• Loc: Plymouth, United Kingdom
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2013, 11:54:13 PM »
Could you try a prow where the top and bottom surfaces come together, rather than the sides coming in? Not sure what to use as reference, but I think the Galactica has that sort of shape (though it has the advantage of a flat top and bottom), iirc.
Quite crucial to be able to tell minefields and rally points apart...

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2013, 07:08:01 PM »
In the meanwhile, I've taken updated the front, added some torpedo tubes there. The ones on the top of the ship have been removed and have been replaced for the turrets.

The design of the turret is growing on me, however...I'd still like to one day replace them for the more spherical ones...

Offline Islacrusez

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2013, 11:41:18 PM »
I'd recommend having the torpedo tubes extend back into the prow, rather than out from it. Use WW2 submarines for reference for this. I'd also either use more of them per side, or arrange them in a > shape, as the line feels very... bland and sterile? Just my opinion though.

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2013, 04:31:37 AM »
I agree, a long hole in the hull is more pleasant than an external tube. And it would be recognisez as a torpedo tube by anybody.

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2013, 08:00:35 AM »
I'd recommend having the torpedo tubes extend back into the prow, rather than out from it. Use WW2 submarines for reference for this. I'd also either use more of them per side, or arrange them in a > shape, as the line feels very... bland and sterile? Just my opinion though.

I removed the extension, so it's just tubes going into the hull. How many should I do per side?

Offline Islacrusez

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2013, 08:53:28 AM »
You could go with 3 or 4, in like a > or a >- shape, with two above each other on the inner side, then one toward the outside, and if you want, another one outboard of that. Also depends how you want to do them. If you just have holes leading into the hull, you can get two next to each other, but if you have them like the cobra has them (or imperial torp launchers in general) then you probably shouldn't.

Shape is basically:

O
       O
O

or

O
       O         O
O

(viewed from the front, that'd be on your right)

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2013, 01:56:12 PM »
This better?

I've been playing a bit with the torpedo tubes, and parts of the prow armor.

Offline Islacrusez

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2013, 03:34:27 PM »
Looks better ^^

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2013, 06:14:10 PM »
Now I need to come up with some ideas for torpedos and boarding/drop pods. Got any suggestions?

Offline Islacrusez

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2013, 03:32:25 PM »
The design of the turret is growing on me, however...I'd still like to one day replace them for the more spherical ones...

I've used a hemisphere turret for my corvette, it's doable, but needs a bit of experimentation once you know how to get the hemisphere!

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2013, 10:08:07 PM »

Two things I'm toying with for these ships. I've been getting a lot of feedback regarding the eagle head prow, meaning I'm starting to doubt whether to keep the eagle head or not. I kinda like the eagle head, gives it this megalomaniacal feel, but it does limit its use for other factions/games/settings. That in itself shouldn't really matter since this is primarily aimed at SITA/Sciror/etc.

But then I'm thinking, would other factions use the same type of ship? If so, would they perhaps have a different prow instead of the eagle head? What if I'd make it multi-part, enabling players to pick their prow?

Second piece of doubt is scale. At first I was thinking of having a prototype printed which would fit the BFG scale, since the ship would be classified as a cruiser in 40k, it would be around 80mm long. This means that a lot of the details would go lost, meaning I'd either have to remove a lot of the detailing, making it look more like a caricature almost, or go for a larger scale. I am very tempted to have this ship be made in a larger scale, around 200mm to 250mm long. The amount of detailing could then be really crazy.

However, this might bring a few problems:

*Multipart: When doing the ships on this scale, I would assume they'd have to be multipart kits. I guess this could be done by making the turrets, prows and components (blocks of which the ship is built of) separate. I wonder if multiple prow options would then still be fitting when doing it on such a scale... But on such a scale I might even have to make all the tiny components separate, meaning it could end up being a kit consisting of hundreds of tiny bits...

*Scale: When making the ship this big, it will become a very cool display piece, but it might not be that useful in a game of BFG or whatever other space ship game on that scale. That in itself isn't so bad, but I would imagine that a lot of the sales would go to clients who'd wish to use this ship as a proxy for other miniature lines. Should I keep this in mind when designing/producing this ship?

*Costs: I can imagine that producing such a large model will take a lot of resources. Having it 3d printed will cost a lot, meaning I'd really need to hollow out the ship as much as possible. But even then, having it cast afterward would also require a lot of resources.

But there are also some awesome advantages:
*I can go quite crazy on the details, add an extra level to what I've got now.
*The ship would really be an amazing display piece.
*Fighter drones, torpedos and boarding/drop pods would be more in the same scale as the ship. The Star Wars game sort of seems to be doing the same, so it might not be that weird to go down this route...

Your thoughts?

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2013, 10:43:51 PM »
About the head, a multi head vessel would clearly be a very very nice thing.

About printing and details, i would say print one and we will see if those details are as worse as you think or not.

If you print it via shapeway in ultra frost detail, it could be better than you think. And not that much costy.

Offline Malika

• Bits Blitz
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2013, 10:02:19 PM »
Ok...I have caved in, for now! The eagle prow is gone (once again: for now), and went for something more generic. Now I still need to make the front stand out a bit more. It will need some torpedo tubes and such. I'd prefer to the keep the prow pretty blocky like this, there's something crude and almost hammer-like about it.

I think that for now I'll be going for a more conventional size, meaning that the model will be around 80-90mm long. First of all because it will fit in easier with games like BFG and such, especially since I want this ship to be able to have been around in during the DAoT and Great Crusade. I might make a larger (and more detailed) version of it at a later date, sort of as a collectors' item.

As for this model, I've got a feeling that it's almost done and ready for a few test prints to see what it will look like at this scale.

Next up is a battleship. Since this stuff is originally meant for Sciror, I'll use Philip Sibbering's concept as a basis and sort of create my own interpretation of it:

I guess it will get some exhausts at the back and the front will be used as tordedo/pods launcher. The rectangles around the Distortion Engine (round thing in the middle of the ship) will function as launch bays. Hopefully more on that in the coming weeks...