September 11, 2024, 08:14:46 AM

Author Topic: Vengeful Spirit and Venerable BB models - advice sought!  (Read 31233 times)

Offline timdp

• Loc: Northern California, USA
Re: Vengeful Spirit and Venerable BB models - advice sought!
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2013, 10:53:24 PM »
Psst, look at this: http://blogfleetgothic.blogspot.nl/2010/05/vaisseau-noir-super-lourd-de.html

Interesting. A Repulsive expanded and configured more like a Vengeance with LBs to make it a battle barge.

Doing something similar using a Desolator hull and prow will get closer to Vengeful Spirit IMO.

A couple of possibilities:

Emperor with Desolator prow and front upper hull:

« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 11:05:28 PM by timdp »

Offline Islacrusez

• Loc: Plymouth, United Kingdom
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2013, 11:10:36 PM »
The Desolator-based approach might be the better of those two...
Quite crucial to be able to tell minefields and rally points apart...

Offline Malika

• Loc: Netherlands
    • Bits Blitz
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2013, 07:36:42 AM »
Personally I like the one with the Emperor class hull better, but I'd still add the prow of the Repulsive to it.
Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Offline Islacrusez

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2013, 01:09:59 PM »
Perhaps combining some of the Desolator pieces with Imperial parts on the aft section of the hull?

Offline timdp

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2013, 05:52:58 PM »
Here is the complete (extended) Desolator upper hull on top of the Emperor lower hull. Design and space conflict issues will have to be resolved the in engines/rudder area. This is really just an enlarged grand cruiser in its design and looks to me to be a good direction for the VS assuming the engines rudder area can be resolved.

Note that four Chaos weapons bays are the same length as three Imperial weapons bays.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 05:57:30 PM by timdp »

Offline Islacrusez

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2013, 08:09:05 PM »
My main concern is the prow, as currently it has no relation to the rest of the lower half of the vessel.

Offline timdp

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2013, 02:47:00 AM »
My main concern is the prow, as currently it has no relation to the rest of the lower half of the vessel.

The photochop above is just a quickie mockup, call it a sketch. :-) I foresee some mods to the prow. One possibility is dropping the prow a bit lower the same way a Vengeance prow is lower on its hull. Another thought is to turn the prow into the the literal image of the description, a spearpoint, including making the prow deeper.

Offline connahr

• Loc: shropshire
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2013, 10:06:43 AM »
i think the very top image is hte better one, looks more streamline and less bulky, but still like it an pak a punch and lead an assult
theres no such thing as over kill, its just making sure

Offline Gorlak

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2013, 02:58:59 PM »
Here is the complete (extended) Desolator upper hull on top of the Emperor lower hull. Design and space conflict issues will have to be resolved the in engines/rudder area. This is really just an enlarged grand cruiser in its design and looks to me to be a good direction for the VS assuming the engines rudder area can be resolved.

Note that four Chaos weapons bays are the same length as three Imperial weapons bays.

Thank you for putting these together timdp, they are very useful. The one you show here is very much where I was heading from the discussions we've been having in this thread. My feeling though is still to go with an up-scaled prow based on the Repulsive prow, 3D modeled and printed. Essentially I am imagining the Repulsive prow made slightly larger to address the concerns of fitting, mentioned above, and to add some structure below, similar to the area that has been stretched in your Desolator image above. I will model this in either Rhinoceros or Sketchup when I am back from Sicily next week.

In related news, I have now managed to purchase a (painfully) expensive Repulsive from eBay, which will form the basis of the 3D model and should make modelling that much easier to reference. I will of course be posting work in-progress images here.

I have also started making enquires about 3D printing services. imakr have a physical show room near me in Clerkenwell, London, but their machines there aren't really of a high enough resolution. I have had a look at i.materialise.com and there is of course Shapeways.com, but I've not had expeirence with either. I may ask what people where using over on TacComms as that always looked excellent.

As always, thank you all for the invaluable input!

Offline timdp

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2014, 11:41:28 PM »
Have been looking at the HHCV Vengeful Spirit pic a bit more and have decided we are not even close regarding the scale of the VS. Take a close look at the weapons bays area in this pic. Note the double stacked rows of five weapons batteries. Now start laying out a bunch of weapons batteries out on the workbench in the same layout as the pic... Each one of those five battery bays is about 4" long in BGF scale. An Emperor is 5" long in BFG scale. All of those itty bitty ships in the background are probably battleships...

In Flight of the Eisenstein, Garro notes that the accelerator cannons  on the VS are twice as long as Mortarian's flagship Endurance. Endurance appears to be a grand cruiser in HHCV and a BFG grand cruiser is 5" long making the accelerator cannons about 10" long, which is about how long they appear to be  compared to the 4" long weapons bays.

Going by the sizes of the weapons bays, the VS is at least 16" long in BFG scale. Given that the IW Iron Blood from the new FW Extermination book is more than 11" long, 16"+ does not seem wrong for the VS...

Put that in yer pipe an smoke it....

Tim

Vengeful Spirit (Sons of Horus/Black Legion):
However, this may not be possible and doesn't really fir with the consensus I'm getting from the forum.
Having tried a few options and components though, a new plan is forming, particularly taking inspiration from the ongoing Heresy Era Battlebarge threads and this image:

« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 05:55:42 PM by timdp »

Offline timdp

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2014, 11:51:06 PM »
There is also this new artwork for the cover of the new Vengeful Spirit novel, presumably showing the Vengeful Spirit:

« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 11:53:58 PM by timdp »

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2014, 06:35:42 AM »
Iffy image to establish size, it looks pretty..... small in comparision.

Offline timdp

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2014, 06:57:55 AM »
Iffy image to establish size, it looks pretty..... small in comparision.

If you are talking about the novel cover, I agree, no way to establish size, but it does show a relatively standard Imperial prow and an amazingly tall weapons bay section. much like the CV illustration. Check out the second (upper) row of lights through the clouds/smoke and then the ship structure (or guns firing) in the cloud/smoke hole above that (above and to the right of the uppermost Thunderhawk).

The CV image however, makes it pretty easy to establish size:

Offline Islacrusez

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2014, 01:38:40 PM »
Have been looking at that pic a bit more and have decided we are not even close regarding the scale of the VS. Take a close look at the weapons bays area in this pic. Note the double stacked rows of five weapons batteries. Now start laying out a bunch of weapons batteries out on the workbench in the same layout as the pic... Each one of those five battery bays is about 4" long in BGF scale. An Emperor is 5" long in BFG scale. All of those itty bitty ships in the background are probably battleships...

Holy... You have a point there, and it's terrifying. I... I want a piece of this.

Put that in yer pipe an smoke it....

Done and done.

Offline Armand

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2014, 01:43:01 PM »
Hi guys,

I don't know if this can help, but I did a quick 3d mockup of the model based on the illustration, to see how it would turn out! And it's terrifying....

Cruiser for scale!