August 12, 2024, 08:23:01 AM

Author Topic: Alternative ship profiles. Limits?  (Read 1965 times)

Offline Kor Boreas

• Lurker
Alternative ship profiles. Limits?
« on: June 30, 2013, 11:46:56 AM »
I was looking the Battlefleet Bakka list of the Compendium and stumbled over the Mercury BC alternate profile. (Also, the Mercury looks to me like one of the greatest BC for IN fleets)

The Nemesis and the  Medusa were refitted with improved weapon batteries after the Stabulo Campaign. Its 45cm batteries increase their range to 60cm for +10 points. The Gorgon had its prow severely damaged during the Stabulo Campaign and replaces its Nova Cannon with strenght-6 torpedoes for -20 points

I know the names and such are incorporated to add flavour to the overall text but... my question is:

-Can I  include more than 2 Mercury BC (not taking into account fleet requirements) with improved batteries since historically there were only 2 cruisers reffited that way?

-Can I have a Mercury BC with both improved batteries AND torpedo salvo?

Thank you in advance.

Offline Mallich

Re: Alternative ship profiles. Limits?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 01:27:41 PM »
I know the names and such are incorporated to add flavour to the overall text but... my question is:
-Can I  include more than 2 Mercury BC (not taking into account fleet requirements) with improved batteries since historically there were only 2 cruisers reffited that way?
-Can I have a Mercury BC with both improved batteries AND torpedo salvo?
Quote from: 2010 FAQ, page 17, under "General Fleet Restrictions and options"" if you're using it
Class Variants: Some ship classes have variants listed in their notes, such as the Imperial Dauntless being able to exchange its lances for torpedoes. Unless specifically noted as unique by their fleet lists, such as the Chaos Planet Killer or the named Ork battleships, you may take multiple examples of any class variant.
Quote from: A Q&A with Andy Chambers more than a decade ago, reproduced here
Q: There are a number of ships given names. Some are just famous ships (the Doombringer for example), some have actual weapon variations (the Plagueclaw, for example), some have fluff limiting the number available historically (Fortress of Agony - Despoiler class). Do any of these names/fluff limits actually limit the number of a certain ship you can take?For example, can I take 3 Murder class ships with the variations described for the Plagueclaw and the Despicable Ecstacy? The fluff indicates that these two ships had the weapons re-fit, seeming to mean that only two Murder class ships can get these options.

A: Well, you can always ignore the fluff if you want, but the way I play it is that variants of a class are limited to the named ones.

Q: Basically, are the names given really just for fluff, or are these intended to be like special characters for 40K and Fantasy (there is only one Karl Franz, gosh darn it!)?

A: I treat the armament variants like special characters I suppose, but in general just get what you want.
That's 3 different answers to your first question, all of them saying different things :D Go ask your opponent, but they'll probably agree with the 2010 FAQ (the first answer). I, personally, would go with the 2010 FAQ and say that you can.

For your second question: again, I suggest you ask your opponent. I (personally) would tend towards "no".

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
Re: Alternative ship profiles. Limits?
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 02:20:23 PM »
Andy Chambers has been overruled by Armada. In the fluff of Armada it is written that all/more Mars battlecruisers got the targetting matrix upgrade.
Plus, later is was stated more Acherons have been build.

So, yes, you can take multiples of the variants.