August 12, 2024, 10:25:30 AM

Author Topic: Tournament rules pack?  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Hrothgar

• Loc: Leiden, the Netherlands
Tournament rules pack?
« on: June 25, 2013, 07:56:08 PM »
This might be a silly question which has already been answered loads of times, but I'm too tired to mount a proper search right now.

Anyone have any suggestions for a rulespack for a 1500 pts tournament?
Suggestions for best scenarios to play?
Limitations on fleet selection?
Is 1500 pts the right amount, or would 1000 to 1200 be better in order to be able to get three games in but still in a reasonable time?

Offline unseelied

• Loc: Levittown, PA 19057 USA
Re: Tournament rules pack?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 03:48:43 PM »
Hi, I ran a BFG tourney a couple of months ago.  I basicly went to the adepticon site and stole their format rather than trying to invent it all on my own. It makes a great starting point if nothing else.  All I had to do was run my own scenerios then.  I hope they don't mind.   :)  Anyway I ran three games at 1500pts each at 2 hours and 45 minutes each.  I like having the extra time but I think that you can get away with 2.5 hours for each round.  I've played at 1250 as well in the past and I find that to be a good number if you are pressed for time.  Large enough to bring a battleship but small enough to finish a little quicker.  Good luck.

Offline lordgoober

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 11:33:12 PM »
As the Adepticon BFG organizer.  No.  I don't mind you stealing the rules pack.  As a matter of fact, if we all want to use that as a base and tweak it to make a "universal" 1500 point rules pack that we could use for tournaments all over the place that would make things easier on all of us, especially since the game is "dead" in GW's eyes.

Offline unseelied

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 02:25:34 AM »
Good to know my blatant theft is forgiven.  Good to meet you as well.   As to a universal rules pack I can see it may be helpful.  Its been awhile so I'd have to go back and compare but I don't remember any huge changes on my end. Not sure what you would want to tweek actually.   Even if the game wasn't "dead" to GW, I don't see a lot of other people running BFG tourneys so we can do what we want.  I know the Mechanicon BFG tourney organizer as well.  Are there any other regular BFG events? 

Offline Seahawk

• Bombardment!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 09:08:45 PM »
Frankly, no, not at all. This makes me sad, naturally, but hey what can you do.

I fully support a universal tournament pack. One can even include all the special rules one can think of in it, then simply choose a few to apply for the event. This way it'll be like a WHFB event, where there are 6 scenarios in the book but only 3 will be used, kinda thing.

Offline unseelied

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 10:42:31 PM »
Well the only thing a person can do is run a tourney themselves if there is no tourney nearby.  You can get by with four people.  If you know four people that play BFG you can have a tourney.  It won't be much of a tourney but better than no tourney and at least you'll get three games in with three different people.  Also people will see you play in public and you might be surprised that there are other people that always wanted to get into gothic, or used to be into gothic but didn't know anyone who played. 

When I ran my tourney the other month I contacted everyone I knew who I had ever played BFG with in the last like 12 years that I could.  I managed to get 10 people to come out to it and even though I didn't get to play, there was a even number of people, it still was great to see that much BFG in one place.  We had a better turnout for BFG than many of the stores Warmachine events.  I can probabally say its the east coast's largest BFG tournament and not be lying.   It wasn't too hard to run either as most people who play BFG have been playing it for so long they actually know their rules unlike say a 40k event. 

I'd suggest to anyone on these boards to give running a BFG event a try.  Unfortunately BFG is not like 40k.  You can't just go down to the store and get a pick up game.  You have to actively hunt down players if you want to play. Worse thing that could happen would be no one would show up and that would leave you no worse off than normal.   Even if one guy, one guy, you don't know shows up thats one more guy for you to play.  Nothing to lose and much to gain. 

Offline Hrothgar

• Loc: Leiden, the Netherlands
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 10:26:54 AM »
Where can I find the Adepticon BFG tournament rules pack?

Offline lordgoober

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 06:26:06 PM »