October 11, 2024, 07:21:54 PM

Author Topic: [BFG] Pre-heresy marine heavy frigate wip.  (Read 23227 times)

Offline Blindhorizon

Re: [BFG] Pre-heresy marine heavy frigate wip.
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 10:46:42 AM »
Okay long delayed update, i ripped apart the rear of the ship and redid the whole thing. C&C is welcome, i also have flat spots over the arched windows on either side, i was thinking that space could go for unit emblems on them so was thinking about leaving them blank. Any ideas?

Thanks for looking, sorry for the hazy pictures.
Blind-

Offline Zarathustra Sucuine

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 10:04:28 PM »
Very nice, I'm going to try and scratch build some Voxx light crusiers, though my try and use some elements of this in them.

Offline little

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 12:05:11 PM »
Lovely frigate ...
For lateral xeapons, you go use what ?

Offline Comrade-K-Rad

• AVE IMPERATOR!
    • Death or Glory
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 02:03:29 PM »
Looking, good!  Keep it up.
The Emperor may be master of the Galaxy, but a Captain is master of his ship!

Offline Blindhorizon

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2013, 08:22:01 AM »
Lovely frigate ...
For lateral xeapons, you go use what ?

Please expand on what you mean by lateral weapons, I'm not entirely sure what you mean exactly.

Blind-

Offline Blindhorizon

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 10:42:50 AM »
Okay so i have hit a creative block and i need some help on what to do next for this build. I added structure down the front of the prow for ramming, but thats about all i can think of to do. Well not true i have thought of maybe putting some wings on the top front with a skull or an aquila. I did want to kind of make this miniature generic to avoid grandma wendy issues. So i'm coming here to you guys for help on what i can do just a couple small things i'm thinking, or just cast as is and make conversion prows like a big ass cannon prow and torp tubes prow also.

Thanks for your help!
Blind-

Offline Islacrusez

• Loc: Plymouth, United Kingdom
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 11:57:38 AM »
Are you looking for what to do specifically with the prow or in general with the rest of the ship?

For the prow, it looks pretty good! Maybe some miniature "crenelations" along the edges of the superstructure, or even point-defence turrets like the weapons chaos cruisers have there.

For the rest of the ship, the dorsal spine is very bare, as is the ventral spine. Add stuffs :P

Your efforts make me want to try sculpting prows despite the fact that I'm really bad at it!
Quite crucial to be able to tell minefields and rally points apart...

Offline Blindhorizon

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 12:06:49 PM »
Are you looking for what to do specifically with the prow or in general with the rest of the ship?

For the prow, it looks pretty good! Maybe some miniature "crenelations" along the edges of the superstructure, or even point-defence turrets like the weapons chaos cruisers have there.

For the rest of the ship, the dorsal spine is very bare, as is the ventral spine. Add stuffs :P

Your efforts make me want to try sculpting prows despite the fact that I'm really bad at it!

Yes sir some idea's on what i can do with the prow. As i am not entirely sure where exactly the ventral and dorsal spines are I'm not entirely sure where you mean. If you are referring to the long stick in the middle of the ship that piece is left bare on purpose i will be adding swappable side panels for different weapon configurations. If you mean something else entirely please try and explain where exactly so i can get a better idea of what your referring too. Thanks for your response i appreciate your help and insights!

Blind-

P.S. I say go for sculpting a prow, I thought i was really bad but this is making me change my mind a little. Not trying to talk myself up at all but i am proud of how far this project has come along. I was in your position a good couple months ago myself.

Offline Islacrusez

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 12:21:57 PM »
Referring to the long flat section, yes, but not to their sides. I'm referring specifically to their top and bottom edge. If you look at an Imperial cruiser, you'll see the top has an overhanging edge with a bunch of detailing work. Basically like the roof of a long cathedral structure, or crenelations. The underside suffers similarly, but that tends to have more flat strips than points. I have no idea if I'm making any sense. Pick up your nearest imperial cruiser and look at the bits above and below the weapon modules ^^

As for the prow, yeah; I'd say go with some of those tiny little guns, maybe some slight accenting on the prow shape - a raised edge all the way around?

I've also noticed chaos cruisers have teeth shapes along the underside of the prow, but I suspect you'd want to avoid those and go for a more Imperial look? Even then, the underside could do with some additional detailing... Supporting "columns" perhaps?

Offline Blindhorizon

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2013, 10:26:56 AM »
Referring to the long flat section, yes, but not to their sides. I'm referring specifically to their top and bottom edge. If you look at an Imperial cruiser, you'll see the top has an overhanging edge with a bunch of detailing work. Basically like the roof of a long cathedral structure, or crenelations. The underside suffers similarly, but that tends to have more flat strips than points. I have no idea if I'm making any sense. Pick up your nearest imperial cruiser and look at the bits above and below the weapon modules ^^

As for the prow, yeah; I'd say go with some of those tiny little guns, maybe some slight accenting on the prow shape - a raised edge all the way around?

I've also noticed chaos cruisers have teeth shapes along the underside of the prow, but I suspect you'd want to avoid those and go for a more Imperial look? Even then, the underside could do with some additional detailing... Supporting "columns" perhaps?

I added some stuff in the slots you where talking about, it's not much but it's something. Also this ship is small it isn't the size of a cruiser to warrant those little cannons everywhere, it's 60mm long which is in between a frigate and a dauntless light cruiser.

More pics!

Not sure whats left, might stare at it a little longer and see if anything comes to mind. C&C always welcome!

Thanks for looking,
Blind-

Offline Armiger84

• Loc: Boston, MA
    • De Bellis Futuris
[BFG] Pre-heresy marine heavy frigate wip.
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2013, 03:54:03 PM »
It's looking great!  I love the detail work around the bridge and engineering, and the gun batteries fit well.

If I were to add anything, it would maybe be some support braces along the flat decks of the rear portion, and maybe the prow.

...Then again, the flat trapezoidal shapes are also very "Space Fleet"-looking (a friend of mine used his old Tyrants as BFG Dauntlesses; they were about the same size, and had that stubby wing feel to them), and as an alternative you could gently engrave some shallow armor plating seams into those flat areas.  Going down instead of up in adding detailwork would leave the ship looking sleek instead of cluttered, and could easily get filled in if it turns out badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
My modelling blog:  http://armiger84.blogspot.com

Offline Islacrusez

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2013, 04:45:15 PM »
Aye, that's looking better!

Perhaps an extra two engines on the outer edges of the rear face?

I echo the stuff about some braces/supports on the flat areas, both fore and aft.

Perhaps a radio mast or two?

Offline AndrewChristlieb

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2013, 03:49:34 AM »
Very cool, we need a 'like' button!
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Offline Jimmy Zimms

• Beshert is Beshert
    • Loc: World Traveler
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2013, 05:31:16 AM »
As we Imperials say, "The Emperor [class battleship] Protects..."

Offline Blindhorizon

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2013, 08:16:05 AM »
Thank you all for all the kind words, I'm happy people like it. I do have a question i'm hoping someone here can help me with. Looking side on at an imperial cruiser, how tall is the middle part of the body?

Thanks,
Blind-