August 02, 2024, 03:20:21 PM

Author Topic: How important is scale and detail on you minis and what details do you want?  (Read 6683 times)

Offline avien

• Lurker

Like that. It'll be to big/out of scale.

Agree with horizon, it would be way too big as a battleship/ barge - more than 100mm longer than current models.

I'd even say that it would be too big for a super battleship...

Offline AndrewChristlieb

Ya thats space hulk territory, 10" may be a bit big for that even.
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Offline Seahawk

• Bombardment!
Yea, that's definitely larger than Space Hulk size.

Remember too, that ships tend to get close in, and the bigger the model, the more annoying it will be to play with/against.

Offline starfox1701

• Loc: SC, USA
Even if the rest of the replacement models are using the same 1 inch = 1 km scale?

Offline Seahawk

• Bombardment!
Then it's all exceedingly tedious and unpleasant to play unless you double/triple all ranges for everything.

Offline starfox1701

I thought rang was always measured from the stem regardless of a model's size? Why would bigger minis require such a drastic change in the rules?

Offline Seahawk

• Bombardment!
So that they stay farther away and the biggerizing of the models doesn't have an effect on gameplay.

There's a reason this is played on the floor. ;)

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1612165/star-trek-attack-wing

Offline starfox1701

we should so do that ;D On the serious side so something very close would be best. Does any one have a preference on what the models are made of?

Offline Jimmy Zimms

• Beshert is Beshert
    • Loc: World Traveler
we should so do that ;D On the serious side so something very close would be best. Does any one have a preference on what the models are made of?
Obtanium please. The current prices on Unobtanium are bankrupting me. :D
As we Imperials say, "The Emperor [class battleship] Protects..."

Offline Nex

• Loc: Sunny Scotland
One of the strange things I feel is that it isn't exactly the level of detail but how what detail there is is used.

For me Chaos, Imperal and Eldar are the 3 "hardest to copy" styles (in my opinion Orks and Nids have no problem because they are so scratchbuild/kitbash friendly).

The more naval nature of the Chaos and Imperial ships is for me something which doesn't mesh with a great deal of other space ship miniatures out there which have more of a sleek traditional scifi design. Turrets and "gun decks" aren't really much of a thing for most space ship miniatures out there.

Offline afterimagedan

• Loc: Chicago IL, USA
One of the strange things I feel is that it isn't exactly the level of detail but how what detail there is is used.

For me Chaos, Imperal and Eldar are the 3 "hardest to copy" styles (in my opinion Orks and Nids have no problem because they are so scratchbuild/kitbash friendly).

The more naval nature of the Chaos and Imperial ships is for me something which doesn't mesh with a great deal of other space ship miniatures out there which have more of a sleek traditional scifi design. Turrets and "gun decks" aren't really much of a thing for most space ship miniatures out there.

I totally agree with this. Tyranids, Orks, Dark Eldar (scratch building), Tau (hopefully with a scratch building guide coming from Khar), and Admech seem to be somewhat easy to come up with a fleet for.

Offline Dragon Lord

I thought rang was always measured from the stem regardless of a model's size? Why would bigger minis require such a drastic change in the rules?

They wouldn't, BFG ships are 'representations' rather than supposed to be in scale with the scenery on the tabletop.  The issue would be WYSIWYG, people go by the sizes of the ships to judge what to expect of it, something that was dramatically larger or smaller than other ships of the same class would throw people off.

I would agree that 'nids and Orks the easiest to scratchbuild for, but Imperial and Chaos are by no means impossible, I give my Dauntless as an example:

Dragon Lord

Offline starfox1701

Been thinking and it might be best if the dimensions of the new models do not perfectly match the old models. One of the reasons that GW went after Chapterhouse was that the parts where obviously made for use on GW models. Insuring that the new parts can't fit old models without some modification would be an obvous protection against GW's interference.

Offline Jimmy Zimms

• Beshert is Beshert
    • Loc: World Traveler
impossible, I give my Dauntless as an example:

Dragon Lord

I fail to see a Dauntless anywhere in your thread. I see an awesome scratch built spaceship that in no way resembles anything from they who shall not be named.  :-X

Been thinking and it might be best if the dimensions of the new models do not perfectly match the old models. One of the reasons that GW went after Chapterhouse was that the parts where obviously made for use on GW models. Insuring that the new parts can't fit old models without some modification would be an obvous protection against GW's interference.

Overly cautious perhaps but nothing that should hurt us in the community by being so. Frankly existing lines from companies should be fine for the supplies that already exist. Adding some varioation on new IP neutral lines wouldn't hurt. IANAIPL but let's not poke the bear, so to speak.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 06:22:12 PM by Jimmy Zimms »
As we Imperials say, "The Emperor [class battleship] Protects..."

Offline starfox1701

Question is there anything published on the design thought process that went into any of the BFG ships?