August 02, 2024, 11:15:59 AM

Author Topic: New 40K Tau Codex...  (Read 4783 times)

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
New 40K Tau Codex...
« on: April 10, 2013, 06:47:12 AM »
So, just released...

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?369073-New-tau-fluff

some points:
* Demiurgs are not mentioned
* Space Travel:
Tau do not use Warp-based space travel. At all. In any way. No sign of earlier fluff on space travel is here. First stage expansion is not explained, but second stage was done using "ZFR Horizon Accelerator Engine" which "allowed ships to attain near-light speed". Third stage is done with "impulse reactors" which "propelled starcraft forward at hitherto unthinkable velocities". I would assume this to be true FTL travel, but still slowish since "to further lessen the burden on those space-faring craft with the longest journeys, the Earth Caste had outfitted transport craft with large stasis chambers - Aloowing Hunter Cadres or whole commands to shift to far distant battle zone months or years away without actually aging a day in the process."
Gravitic Warp Dive Engine is no longer mentioned (  :( ). And they really called it... ZFR Horizon Accelerator Engine... no way...
* Other xenos introduced
* Continent sized space station (actually, they read Warp Rift and saw German BFG player Harkon his immense space stations I assume!).
* Attempts to harvest the energy from stars  (Demiurg reference?)
* Having starkilling weaponry

Less the discussion begin. And do others have more info/insight?

Offline Khar

• Loc: Frozen Wastes of Poland
Re: New 40K Tau Codex...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 10:42:59 AM »
I'd really like to see them build and maintain interstellar empire while being capped at 'near light' speeds. Really. And it's worth noting that 2nd sphere is most of their empire.

They fought Orks, and Damocles crusade, while not having FTL drive. And in both those conflicts, they actually had reinforcements arrive! This is some military genius, I tell you, they must have sent them before they even knew there will be a war! :D

Ok, i can't keep it up any longer, it's just hilariously stupid... :D

Assuming their systems were really, REALLY densely packed, we're still talking about years of travel between two neighboring ones. If I remember correctly, Tau empire was supposed to have around 300 light years in diameter. You do the math. Because the author clearly did not.

Offline Trickstick

• The Last Airship Pirate
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 03:30:47 AM »
I can't decide whether this is better or worse than the removal of the Necron's FTL systems. I think that I will treat it the same way and just ignore the change.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor

Offline Zelnik

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 12:17:20 AM »
The new codex does not actually change anything mechanics wise for the Tau, but certainly opens up for new rules to be made for the more modern tau stations and orbital cities

Offline Dragon Lord

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 02:47:46 PM »
*Facepalm*  I haven't got the new Tau codex but I can see I'm going to be ignoring significant parts of it...

Why, oh why does GW seem to think it is necessary to give every race their own method of FTL.  One of the best things about the 40k universe IMHO is the Warp, so why not just stick with that!

Offline BaronIveagh

• Dark Reign
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 04:18:11 PM »
Reading it atm it sounds more like Tau are on the verge of getting the inertialess drive now that Necrons use the webway to travel...

But yeah, there are things that make little sense. 

On our front:

Tau now have fortress stations that based on their description are somewhere between a Ramilies and a Craftworld.  The new description for orbital cities makes them sound more like Ramilies now than their old stats.

They have supernova causing weapons in prototype, but so far have not developed a practical version.  Whatever that means.  Supposedly they've caused several novae by accident trying to 'harvest energy' and seem to be working on weaponizing it.

They have captured examples of Imperial Warp drives, but so far are frustrated by the fact that captured tech priests have no idea how they actually work.
non nobis domine non nobis sed nomine tua da na glorium

Offline Dragon Lord

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 04:38:04 PM »
Quote from: BaronIveagh
They have supernova causing weapons in prototype, but so far have not developed a practical version.  Whatever that means.  Supposedly they've caused several novae by accident trying to 'harvest energy' and seem to be working on weaponizing it.
Really?  If so that is just ridiculous, the Blackstone Fortresses were created by the pre-Fall Eldar at their height and you need three of them to destroy a star.  The Planet Killer is a Warp-spawned monstrosity and that can only kill planets.

Tau now have fortress stations that based on their description are somewhere between a Ramilies and a Craftworld.  The new description for orbital cities makes them sound more like Ramilies now than their old stats.
That I have less problem with, I'm sure the Imperium has giant orbital complexes that would dwarf a Ramilies as well, we just don't hear much about them.

They have captured examples of Imperial Warp drives, but so far are frustrated by the fact that captured tech priests have no idea how they actually work.
That makes me laugh a little.  I am of the general inclination that the Mechanicus do know how they work, though the senior tech priests who do would probably not be manning a warship.

Dragon Lord

Offline BaronIveagh

• Dark Reign
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 05:32:49 PM »
Really?  If so that is just ridiculous, the Blackstone Fortresses were created by the pre-Fall Eldar at their height and you need three of them to destroy a star.  The Planet Killer is a Warp-spawned monstrosity and that can only kill planets.

Something that can also be done (as of Deathwatch, though which book it was in I forget atm) by a single unmanned stealth spacecraft smaller than a Viper class scout frig.  So what the point of building the Planet Killer was I have no idea.

That I have less problem with, I'm sure the Imperium has giant orbital complexes that would dwarf a Ramilies as well, we just don't hear much about them.

Actually we do.  Luna is no moon (anymore), It's a Space Station.  The Imperium has a tendency to hollow out moons and very large asteroids and then arm them.  The Bulwark in The Frozen Reaches is a good example of this, though somewhat small.

That makes me laugh a little.  I am of the general inclination that the Mechanicus do know how they work, though the senior tech priests who do would probably not be manning a warship.

You'd think though that the Techpreist Senoris would know though, as they are (in theory) high ranking members of the admech and would have a very good reason to know.  Being they are in charge of fixing broken ones.  To fix something like that, you have to know at least the basics of how and why it works.

But then again, I've been very, very frequently told that 'realism' is a dirty word when dealing with anything to do with 40k, even in the role playing.  Pointing out that tanks have more than four actual facings and that tank armor works better at an angle, and that no one needs to be ordered to use cover in combat... gah.
non nobis domine non nobis sed nomine tua da na glorium

Offline Dragon Lord

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 06:44:42 PM »
Actually we do.  Luna is no moon (anymore), It's a Space Station.  The Imperium has a tendency to hollow out moons and very large asteroids and then arm them.  The Bulwark in The Frozen Reaches is a good example of this, though somewhat small.
Fair enough, good to know there are examples in the background.

You'd think though that the Techpreist Senoris would know though, as they are (in theory) high ranking members of the admech and would have a very good reason to know.  Being they are in charge of fixing broken ones.  To fix something like that, you have to know at least the basics of how and why it works.
It depends, I could see the techpriests on a starship having repair manuals, a supply of spare parts and knowledge of how individual bits of the Warp drive work without understanding the whole thing in enough detail to be useful to the Tau.  From the point of view of the Mechanicus there is actually a degree of sense in arranging things that way from a tech-security point of view, the starship techpriests can't divulge knowledge that could aid the enemies of the Imperium if they don't know it.

As to no-one needing to be ordered to take cover, that is true, but it helps to be told about an incoming risk that requires taking cover that you may not otherwise have noticed until too late.  That tanks have more than 4 facings is also obvious, but it would be too complicated from the point of view of the 40k wargame to treat that, it is a necessary abstraction.  I do wonder whether given the growing preponderance of flyers whether they may need to introduce a 5th 'roof' facing, but overall mechanical things like that in the game I don't find too problematic.  It's where it spills over into stupid fluff that I have problems.

Dragon Lord

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 08:40:56 PM »
The real buggers are, what I think: no demiurg (but no mentioning does not mean wiped like Squats, right?  :P ) and the removal of the warp dive. That was a cool unique aspect.

Offline Zelnik

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 11:04:05 PM »
Remember that the Demiurg were not in the last codex either. They are a uniquely BFG entity... Though now you can buy the space-dwarf/squat/demiurg mini without a membership to White Dwarf.