August 01, 2024, 11:27:20 AM

Poll

Please vote for including as is, including but working on, or not including the following ships in Battlefleet Bakka BFG:R.

Enforcer, include it as it is in BFGM 2.
2 (3.3%)
Enforcer, include it but it needs work.
8 (13.3%)
Enforcer, do not include it.
6 (10%)
Defender, include it as it is in BFGM 2.
1 (1.7%)
Defender, include it but it needs work.
8 (13.3%)
Defender, do not include it.
6 (10%)
Cardinal, include it as it is in BFGM 2.
2 (3.3%)
Cardinal, include it but it needs work.
9 (15%)
Cardinal, do not include it.
3 (5%)
Vanquisher, include it as it is in the 2010 Compendium.
5 (8.3%)
Vanquisher, include it but it needs work,
9 (15%)
Vanquisher, do not include it.
1 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: March 28, 2013, 04:52:27 PM

Author Topic: BFG:R Vote 57: Battlefleet Bakka Ships  (Read 34352 times)

Offline Bessemer

• Loc: UK
Re: BFG:R Vote 57: Battlefleet Bakka Ships
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 02:31:26 AM »
The Havoc from Plaxor's BFGR. I was under the impression this has been adopted for both Chaos and Bakka in this version of BFGR. Got to say, I much prefer the 2010.

Do you mean a Demiurg style silo for the dorsal mount? swapping prow and dorsal in this instance could be a good idea if this is the case (s4/5?). If so, this would open the case for all round torpedoes!

By explosive detriment, you could make it take +1 dam for dorsal critical hits.

I always imagined silos for the prow section, really. Don't older hull types have more esoteric technologies and whatnot?
I refuse to be killed by something I've never heard of.

Offline afterimagedan

• Loc: Chicago IL, USA
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 03:01:28 AM »
Dan, if you think the cardinal has use, then give me the use cases for taking it. That's what I asked for and since you are advocating adding a ship we don't currently have in, the burden of proof is on you to prove the ship has any reason to be included. I posit that any use case you bring forward is already covered by the the Acheron using the reserve rules as per FAQ2010.

If you want, I can just copy and paste my earlier post: "You are arguing against it's usability in the fleet and because of that, say it should be removed. Some people think it is more usable and would prefer more than you would. I have said this many times: you don't just argue for a ship being removed because you think it's crappy. I would also make the case for the Tyrant and the Gothic because I don't think the IN NEED any of those ships when they have Lunars but they add options to the game for people to use them if they prefer. It's the same with the Cardinal. It should be priced where it is competitive and not just throw out because some people don't like it."

The reason it should be included is some people really like it, it was part of the original Bakka fleet, it is in BFGM#2, and in IAX, and I think we could discuss it again and make sure it is properly priced and included.

Discussion: the enforcer should not be added. Period. There is nothing else to discuss. This is exactly the kind of power creep that needs to be reigned in. There is good reason some ships never made official status. Leave them for friendly games with permission. We don't have to add everything.

Sounds like an attempt to bully people out of this. The fact is, BFG:R IS for friendly games and won't be accepted by people who do tournaments or anything official. That's just not what BFG:R is for. BFG:R is already used on a "with permission" basis. If this is power creep that should be reigned it, that doesn't mean that you throw something out. It can be reworked and repriced to make it non-powercreep.

Vaaish, you make a point about the Enforcer at 120pts. Let's talk that through some more.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 03:08:36 AM by afterimagedan »

Offline afterimagedan

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 03:02:21 AM »
The Havoc from Plaxor's BFGR. I was under the impression this has been adopted for both Chaos and Bakka in this version of BFGR. Got to say, I much prefer the 2010.

As is, the Havoc is the 2010 version in BFG:R (the new wave of BFG:R that is).

Offline Bessemer

• Loc: UK
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 03:13:40 AM »
Wonderful, two cockups in the same thread :'(
I refuse to be killed by something I've never heard of.

Offline AndrewChristlieb

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 04:42:18 AM »
Ya thats pretty spot on to what i was thinking. A Str 4 dorsal mount and +1 damage on dorsal crit sounds pretty reasonable. Background could be that it was an attempt to make the older classes more cohesive with newer fleet doctrines and the Acheron has already introduced that class as a test bed for new systems. The "explosive" detriment and low strength help force the price down and supports the problems of having a turret mounted firing system (limited shots and or longer reloading, poor munitions storage, etc).
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Offline afterimagedan

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 05:50:20 AM »
-Vanquisher. I think the version in Planet Killer is a better option for players but also more fluffy at 20cm.  I think it should be at 320pts with those stats (basically, the same stats as 2010 Vanquisher but at 20cm movement and 4 turrets).

The vanquisher seems like it will obviously pass. Anyone have a problem with these stats for the Vanquisher?

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2013, 05:53:02 AM »
If you want, I can just copy and paste my earlier post: "You are arguing against it's usability in the fleet and because of that, say it should be removed. Some people think it is more usable and would prefer more than you would. I have said this many times: you don't just argue for a ship being removed because you think it's crappy. I would also make the case for the Tyrant and the Gothic because I don't think the IN NEED any of those ships when they have Lunars but they add options to the game for people to use them if they prefer. It's the same with the Cardinal. It should be priced where it is competitive and not just throw out because some people don't like it."

Actually, you completely miss the point. The ship hasn't been added to begin with. What I'm saying is that just because someone mentioned they like a ship shouldn't be grounds for immediately assuming it must be added. If you want a ship,then the burden of proof is on you to explain why it should be added, not on me to prove why it shouldn't.

So far you've just been trying to argue that I have to prove it doesn't need to be added. I want it thrown out because it doesn't have a place. You keep refusing to actually work through reasons why this ship would be taken and why it is someone would use it over an Acheron pulled in under the FAQ2010 reserve rules.  Unlike the ships you try to mention in your example that all actually have roles and differing play styles, the cardinal is an inferior duplicate of an official ship which is an entirely different situation than what you are presenting. I'm challenging you again, prove why this ship needs to be added. Simply liking something should NEVER be the the only grounds for adding elements. For example, I personally like the Armageddon gun on the PK, but that doesn't mean I have valid grounds to include a PK in the IN fleet lists.  I can guarantee that will end with power creep, and I hope that isn't what you intend with BFGR.

Sounds like an attempt to bully people out of this. The fact is, BFG:R IS for friendly games and won't be accepted by people who do tournaments or anything official. That's just not what BFG:R is for. BFG:R is already used on a "with permission" basis. If this is power creep that should be reigned it, that doesn't mean that you throw something out. It can be reworked and repriced to make it non-powercreep.

I would argue that yes, it does mean it should be thrown out. You cannot increase the AC since its already at the max for a CL, you decrease the lances and you basically have a fast FAQ2010 defiant. Swap them out for WB and we end up with what's basically being proposed as a BFGR defiant. Swap the lances for torpedoes and have the same problem with the torpedo dauntless. At this point you can't really change anything else without taking out the bays or messing with the speed or armor which again brings you into conflict with the endeavor series or the dauntless.

That leaves you with increasing the price considerably which doesn't really solve anything except hoping that people need the points more somewhere else.

Let me reiterate once again, I'm becoming sorely disappointed in the entire process here. People simply say they like a ship and suddenly it's up for inclusion with little discussion or reason outside of they like ship x or y. Once we hit that point any dissent is immediately met with extreme resistance. The only thing you want to "discuss" is how to include the ship with zero proof provided by the people who want a change as to why that change should happen in the first place. Start making people prove why their suggestion should be included instead of making everyone else prove why it shouldn't.
-Vaaish

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2013, 06:03:33 AM »
You are arguing against it's usability in the fleet and because of that, say it should be removed. Some people think it is more usable and would prefer more than you would. I have said this many times: you don't just argue for a ship being removed because you think it's crappy. I would also make the case for the Tyrant and the Gothic because I don't think the IN NEED any of those ships when they have Lunars but they add options to the game for people to use them if they prefer. It's the same with the Cardinal. It should be priced where it is competitive and not just throw out because some people don't like it.

But we're not arguing for a ship being removed, you're arguing for a ship to be included. Big difference. The onus is on you to prove that it is a necessary, viable and fluffy ship that does not alter interfleet balance. The latter 2 may be fine, but the first 2 certainly aren't.

I am certainly willing to have this discussion and making it the appropriate point level so that it doesn't trump the other light cruisers and is a competitive option but not overpowered.

But why do we even need it? Sure it may appear in Bakka fluff or whatever, but why does this "sod all AC" Bakka list have so many new carriers? Give them gunships! That's what they're all about. While I'm rather conservative when it comes to Bakka (the whole list should remain unofficial) if we have to ratify some extreme change I'd rather it be to crap like the Mercury/Long Serpent than yet more carriers. Not that I like that ship at all. It could simply be dropped in favour of an Overlord. Give Bakka the Dauntless, Siluria, Havoc, Viper and Dominion. Ditch the Jovian and replace the Mercury with the Overlord. The Vanquisher and Victory are fine but unnecessary. The Cardinal is complete smeg.

I am proposing what I think is a better way to restrict carriers in Bakka. Yes, I think I did mention why I think the current limitation system is weak compared to the LC number limit system mainly because it encourages people to use the Jovian pretty much every game. Side note: for Rath, I think it would be easy to just say that Rath adds +2 to the launch capacity limit.

The 2010 Bakka list has no access to Defiants, Enforcers, Dictators, Exorcists, Mars or Oberons. Only 1 Emperor can be taken and then only as a reserve (pfft, yeah right) or as Rath's ship. Ditch the Jovian and AC becomes pretty much self-limiting. This makes for 8 maximum AC at 1000 pts, using either 2 Dominions or 1 Dominion and 1 reserve Dictator. Not terribly over the top.

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2013, 06:05:10 AM »
-Vanquisher. I think the version in Planet Killer is a better option for players but also more fluffy at 20cm.  I think it should be at 320pts with those stats (basically, the same stats as 2010 Vanquisher but at 20cm movement and 4 turrets).

The vanquisher seems like it will obviously pass. Anyone have a problem with these stats for the Vanquisher?

I prefer the 15cm at 300 pts stats.

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2013, 06:06:25 AM »

As is, the Havoc is the 2010 version in BFG:R (the new wave of BFG:R that is).

I very much prefer the 5WB version. Don't know why it was ever changed.

Offline afterimagedan

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 06:16:00 AM »

Actually, you completely miss the point. The ship hasn't been added to begin with. What I'm saying is that just because someone mentioned they like a ship shouldn't be grounds for immediately assuming it must be added. If you want a ship,then the burden of proof is on you to explain why it should be added, not on me to prove why it shouldn't.

If enough people want to add it because they just like it, they can vote it in. They don't need to argue why it should be added. If you want to argue why it shouldn't be added, you may persuade people.

So far you've just been trying to argue that I have to prove it doesn't need to be added. I want it thrown out because it doesn't have a place. You keep refusing to actually work through reasons why this ship would be taken and why it is someone would use it over an Acheron pulled in under the FAQ2010 reserve rules.  Unlike the ships you try to mention in your example that all actually have roles and differing play styles, the cardinal is an inferior duplicate of an official ship which is an entirely different situation than what you are presenting. I'm challenging you again, prove why this ship needs to be added. Simply liking something should NEVER be the the only grounds for adding elements. For example, I personally like the Armageddon gun on the PK, but that doesn't mean I have valid grounds to include a PK in the IN fleet lists.  I can guarantee that will end with power creep, and I hope that isn't what you intend with BFGR.

I like the FLR torpedoes and the fact that I can use a ship that is mentioned in fluff and something that is in the original Bakka. I like the lore of it.  My point is, just because something "has no place" isn't a reason to remove a ship or not include a ship the majority of people want included. My point with the IN cruisers is that there are some ships that have other ships that do the same job or are very similar. That's no reason to throw something out. I am not saying this ship NEEDS to be added. I am saying that if people want it to be included in Bakka, they have every right to vote for it being added, even if solely because they like the ship. If you think the Cardinal breaks IN rules that aren't already broken by the reserve rules you mentioned, then mention it. Your argument about the armageddon gun isn't relevant here.

Vaaish, do you think that is my intention? Power creep?

I would argue that yes, it does mean it should be thrown out. You cannot increase the AC since its already at the max for a CL, you decrease the lances and you basically have a fast FAQ2010 defiant. Swap them out for WB and we end up with what's basically being proposed as a BFGR defiant. Swap the lances for torpedoes and have the same problem with the torpedo dauntless. At this point you can't really change anything else without taking out the bays or messing with the speed or armor which again brings you into conflict with the endeavor series or the dauntless.

That leaves you with increasing the price considerably which doesn't really solve anything except hoping that people need the points more somewhere else.

I would like to keep it how it is and discuss the point cost of it. Different enough from the other light cruisers. What do you mean by considerably?

Let me reiterate once again, I'm becoming sorely disappointed in the entire process here. People simply say they like a ship and suddenly it's up for inclusion with little discussion or reason outside of they like ship x or y. Once we hit that point any dissent is immediately met with extreme resistance. The only thing you want to "discuss" is how to include the ship with zero proof provided by the people who want a change as to why that change should happen in the first place. Start making people prove why their suggestion should be included instead of making everyone else prove why it shouldn't.

I am not meeting you with extreme resistance. I would like to have a dialogue on how to make ships that the majority of people want to be in BFG:R usable and balanced. Is that so wrong? I know that you have been disappointed with this process, but I can't help you with that Vaaish. I am not going to move away from a voting system and I am not going to take one person's perspective on how the process should work against the voting of the forum. Simple as that. If the votes win and we don't include something, then great! If not, then we discuss it. If it doesn't work out, then we can vote again to ditch the thing.

When did I MAKE you prove why it shouldn't be included? I am not making anyone do anything, I am merely putting up votes. If you want to make a great case why the ship should not be included, then fantastic. You realize here that my discussion on the inclusion of these ships is just my opinion. If I am outvoted, so be it.I am willing to accept a change to BFG:R, even if I don't like it. Are you?

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2013, 06:18:14 AM »
I can make a few fluff arguments (one of which being that the Cardinal Class Sebastian Thor is STILL listed among the survivors of Circe), but the fact is that IA X already did bring it in, in an 'official but totally forbidden' list (which I strongly recommend that we clean up into something that resembles sanity for BFG:R).

IA X isn't official. Nothing FW does is official unless and until it has be adopted by GW.

Offline afterimagedan

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2013, 06:27:16 AM »
You are arguing against it's usability in the fleet and because of that, say it should be removed. Some people think it is more usable and would prefer more than you would. I have said this many times: you don't just argue for a ship being removed because you think it's crappy. I would also make the case for the Tyrant and the Gothic because I don't think the IN NEED any of those ships when they have Lunars but they add options to the game for people to use them if they prefer. It's the same with the Cardinal. It should be priced where it is competitive and not just throw out because some people don't like it.

But we're not arguing for a ship being removed, you're arguing for a ship to be included. Big difference. The onus is on you to prove that it is a necessary, viable and fluffy ship that does not alter interfleet balance. The latter 2 may be fine, but the first 2 certainly aren't.

Am I the only one who wants these ships included? I think not, considering the voting going on here. I think they should be included because I like them, I think they are interesting to have in Bakka. I think the FDT stuff is a nice option for Bakka. I think the Enforcer has cool fluff. I don't need to argue that it is necessary. Lots of ships are unnecessary. I would like to discuss it to make sure it is viable and balanced.

I am certainly willing to have this discussion and making it the appropriate point level so that it doesn't trump the other light cruisers and is a competitive option but not overpowered.

But why do we even need it? Sure it may appear in Bakka fluff or whatever, but why does this "sod all AC" Bakka list have so many new carriers? Give them gunships! That's what they're all about. While I'm rather conservative when it comes to Bakka (the whole list should remain unofficial) if we have to ratify some extreme change I'd rather it be to crap like the Mercury/Long Serpent than yet more carriers. Not that I like that ship at all. It could simply be dropped in favour of an Overlord. Give Bakka the Dauntless, Siluria, Havoc, Viper and Dominion. Ditch the Jovian and replace the Mercury with the Overlord. The Vanquisher and Victory are fine but unnecessary. The Cardinal is complete smeg.

Those of course are you opinions on the matter. Personally, I am less attached to the Enforcer, though I like it. I just have a different opinion on the matter. I think we should include these ships because of the fluff and I think they are good ships. If they don't pass the vote, then fine!

I am proposing what I think is a better way to restrict carriers in Bakka. Yes, I think I did mention why I think the current limitation system is weak compared to the LC number limit system mainly because it encourages people to use the Jovian pretty much every game. Side note: for Rath, I think it would be easy to just say that Rath adds +2 to the launch capacity limit.

The 2010 Bakka list has no access to Defiants, Enforcers, Dictators, Exorcists, Mars or Oberons. Only 1 Emperor can be taken and then only as a reserve (pfft, yeah right) or as Rath's ship. Ditch the Jovian and AC becomes pretty much self-limiting. This makes for 8 maximum AC at 1000 pts, using either 2 Dominions or 1 Dominion and 1 reserve Dictator. Not terribly over the top.

I prefer my method: 2 LC/500pts +2 for Rath.  I am also not against limiting the Jovian at 2000+ games.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2013, 06:32:26 AM »
1) wtf... LFR torpedoes? Are these dorsal mounted? What does that prow look like? For some reason I never noticed this on other vessels Bessemer mentioned...

2) The Enforcer  :P, the unbelievable amount of 7 people want to work on it. What are the ideas to change on this vessel?

3) Forgeworld IA3 has been used by many tournaments untill compendium 2010 came along.
The problem with most FW stuff: it is not free online, thus most will not have the rules to look into. That would be a reason for me to keep them from an official status.

- warning...

Offline afterimagedan

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2013, 06:36:31 AM »
1) wtf... LFR torpedoes? Are these dorsal mounted? What does that prow look like? For some reason I never noticed this on other vessels Bessemer mentioned...

2) The Enforcer  :P, the unbelievable amount of 7 people want to work on it. What are the ideas to change on this vessel?

7 out of the 13 voting currently. 6 whopping people don't want to work with it. So what? You can't argue limited number of voters when both sides have that little.