August 01, 2024, 01:20:49 PM

Author Topic: BFG:R Light Cruisers  (Read 44301 times)

Offline BaronIveagh

• Dark Reign
Re: BFG:R Light Cruisers
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2013, 02:52:38 PM »

What *IF* we do this:
the Defiant does get 4 AC in total, but only fighters.

or only a max of 2 bombers and a max of 2 fighters? (But a wave of 4 with mix 2/2 is possible).

I say we just break down and give it four Lbs like it's current fluff has.  This also brings it into line with the other Voss LCs as '1/2 a regular IN cruiser'.  (Since some of you are hot to hide behind 'what they're meant to be'.)

And before anyone has fantasies about AC spam, they're still limited to 2 per 500 points.  If you're going for AC spam, they barely edge out Dictator and don't come CLOSE to SCs.
non nobis domine non nobis sed nomine tua da na glorium

Offline Khar

• Loc: Frozen Wastes of Poland
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2013, 05:25:18 PM »
True, the model does have full launch bay section, and numbers are restricted. I, personally, wouldn't mind it for the Navy, but if Admech could still use it without restriction, they could reach Tau level of ordnance saturation. With better Ld for effective reloading. Scary.

So while 4 bays could be tested [i know i will], it would probably require restricting Defiant numbers for Mechanicus.

Offline BaronIveagh

• Dark Reign
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2013, 06:53:33 PM »
True, the model does have full launch bay section, and numbers are restricted. I, personally, wouldn't mind it for the Navy, but if Admech could still use it without restriction, they could reach Tau level of ordnance saturation. With better Ld for effective reloading. Scary.

Admech and IN can already do Tau levels of ord saturation, you just have to abuse the right rules.  The changes that BFG:R makes to Grand Cruisers make a few IN lists brutal as far as ord goes. 

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2013, 07:01:35 PM »
Perhaps we should revisit the cgs to rectify that...
-Vaaish

Offline AndrewChristlieb

« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2013, 07:19:40 PM »
At 110 O_o??? Even at 130 you would still be able to drop 12 launch at less then 500, thats a whole ships worth more then it is now. 730 pts for 20, 885 for 24....

Not considering crazy gcs. If the Grands are comming out bad maybe they do need to be revisited. Post up some stuff in the test thread?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:37:10 PM by AndrewChristlieb »
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2013, 08:16:38 PM »
Revisiting a certain CG and dropping some launch bays is something I would agree on.  ::)

Offline Jimmy Zimms

• Beshert is Beshert
    • Loc: World Traveler
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2013, 08:21:48 PM »
if Admech could still use it without restriction, they could reach Tau level of ordnance saturation. With better Ld for effective reloading. Scary.

So while 4 bays could be tested [i know i will], it would probably require restricting Defiant numbers for Mechanicus.

Well, like you state, that sounds like a problem in AdMech fleet list and not the Defiant itself. 4 bays with restrictions sounds cleaner and more sane approach in my opinion if consistency is more important (for me it is not). However I am fine with 2 bays provided she's dropped in price to make her worthwhile. The 130 in the original stats was just plain overpriced-110 feels about right if you take a fleet restriction (see end paragraph).

Interesting idea on the fighter only-no bomber but seems harder to keep track of (defined as more being greater than 0 additional rules to also keep in mind when playing no matter how easy/small they are).

Personally I'd actually tie their numbers to other ships of the general style. It's already in the fluff that her sister classes are usually in mixed squadrons so I think we can logically extrapolate this to the defiant as well. Something like "you may take 1 defiant or endurance for every 2 endevour in a fleet" or something along those lines, to keep the beardiness potentialaility matrix level down to playable levels. (IIRC the original BF Armegedon  fleet only had a limitation of "not more than")
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 08:24:21 PM by Jimmy Zimms »
As we Imperials say, "The Emperor [class battleship] Protects..."

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2013, 08:28:51 PM »
In Armada it is: 1 Defiant or Endurance per Endeavour.

Offline Jimmy Zimms

• Beshert is Beshert
    • Loc: World Traveler
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2013, 09:07:57 PM »
Cool my crusty brain isn't useless then.  ;D
I'd like to see a 2:1 ratio myself.
As we Imperials say, "The Emperor [class battleship] Protects..."

Offline BaronIveagh

• Dark Reign
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2013, 10:19:01 PM »
Revisiting a certain CG and dropping some launch bays is something I would agree on.  ::)

Coming from the man that wanted the HA to remove AC from the game, that's not surprising.

My thoughts:

120pts

25cm
+5 armor
2 str 2 LBs.
+1 ldr (maybe swappable for a str 4 prow torp, but not sold on that.)
3 turrets
no +6 prow

1 per 500 pts or fraction thereof.

pros: heavy LB

Cons: No direct fire weapon is a serious liability.

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2013, 10:38:26 PM »
Why not just keep the same limitations in admech that the endeavor series has elsewhere instead of reworking the limits?
-Vaaish

Offline AndrewChristlieb

« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2013, 02:35:35 AM »
I dont think the Admech would really need the limit if they stay at 2 lb, after all the biggest downfall to taking Defiants is your taking Defiants ::).
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2013, 03:14:15 AM »
Wait, we were really seriously considering 4lb on a light cruiser?
-Vaaish

Offline afterimagedan

• Loc: Chicago IL, USA
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2013, 04:07:44 AM »
Some might be. Not me!   8)

Offline Bessemer

• Loc: UK
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2013, 04:19:57 AM »
If spamming is becoming a concern, how 'bout we re-introduce the original Armada limit?

Combined numbers of Endurance/Defiance cannot exceed number of Endeavours in your fleet?

And no to 4 LB's :P
I refuse to be killed by something I've never heard of.