September 10, 2024, 08:14:30 PM

Author Topic: Use of Possessed Cruisers  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Eetion

• Lurker
    • Loc: Sheffield
    • New Badab
Use of Possessed Cruisers
« on: February 17, 2013, 01:32:18 PM »
So I'm considering one of these little beauties when I add my next mail order.

So I'm thinking of asap deploying them aggressively, heavily gunned, possibly a Hades or Repulsive. Materialise them right in the enemy formation. The enemy first turn they have to essentially move past them, allowing me juicy shots to the rear, or come about and break up their formations.

Is this aggressive formation breaker a viable use? Any recomendations?

Also any suggestions on how to convert?

What is the best use of Possessed vessels?

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
Re: Use of Possessed Cruisers
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 08:55:23 PM »
Best use? Not using them...

They're sitting ducks waiting to be destroyed. Read their materialize rules again....

Offline Eetion

• Lurker
    • Loc: Sheffield
    • New Badab
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 09:36:22 PM »
Choose where they deploy from turn 2 on wards
Cannot be attacked or harmed in this state

At end of any chaos turn can materialise.
So Enemy fleet can get the first shot in.
Chaos turn.

Did I miss anything?

What im suggesting that the set up occurs near the rear of the enemy fleet on a same course.
So turns 1 and possibly 2 they have to carry a forward momentum bringing the stationary possessed to their rear.... Ripe for a for being a nuisance.
Or
They detach 1 cruiser for a slugging match which is gonna struggle against the likes of a Hades close up, 2 detached to have the best chance of destroying the possessed.
With 250pts or so,
I could take 2 cruisers off their fleet, or 1 more powerful vessel if their serious, or have some firepower hitting them from behind and amongst them.

If the possessed gets into trouble if they disengage, and redploy amongst my fleet, or pull the same trick again.

Hopefully peel off sections of an opponents fleet to deal with with the possessed ship.

That was my thinking anyway.

Offline Bessemer

• Loc: UK
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 10:46:52 PM »
I think the main opposition to Deamonships is that whilst they're spectral or off-table, they're not actually doing anything. Add in the extra cost to make a ship a deamonship, that's a good portion of your fleet missing and something a canny opponent will exploit.

I do see what your plan is, and I've even done the same (usually with a Repulsive) and gotten mixed results. Not really enough to warrant actually buying/converting one at any rate. If you can make it work, post it up and let us know :)

Whilst on the subject, has anyone actually got some experimental rules they want to share? seeing as BFGR Chaos is currently on the boil?
I refuse to be killed by something I've never heard of.