August 09, 2024, 08:19:32 PM

Author Topic: Necron Partcile whips and rolling of 6's  (Read 3145 times)

Offline Lord Duggie The Mad

Necron Partcile whips and rolling of 6's
« on: December 25, 2012, 01:39:18 AM »
Hello friends,

During a scrap last night my opponent and I struck across a conundrum which I don't seem to be able to find an answer for.  A brief  description of said events is as follows:

A locked-on Necron scythe class cruiser opens fire on an Imperial gothic class cruiser.  Only the particle whips were in range and neither ship had suffered any previous damage (though not through lack of trying - blasted Necron 2+ brace saves :o).  Prior to hit rolls being made, the gothic cruiser braces.

The Necron player produces the following rolls on the first attempt, lucky sod 4, 5, 6, 6.

As I understand it, the two '6' rolls punch through the shields automatically and must be braced against.  The other two rolls both knock down a shield and each place a blast marker.  As a result, the net effect of this round of shooting is to knock down both shields and trigger two brace saves (of which one was passed). 

My query is this: did we resolve the shooting correctly?  It seems to me that rolling two 6's produced no extra benefit for the Necron player in this instance; four 4's would have been equally as effective ???

Many thanks

LDTM
"Orders, sir?"
"Blast 'em to bits!  Do I have to think of everything?!"

Offline Bessemer

• Loc: UK
Re: Necron Partcile whips and rolling of 6's
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 02:24:30 AM »
To the best of my knowledge, yes you did resolve shooting correctly. A similar situation happened to me not so long back.
In truth, the whole ignoring shields on 6's is more gimmicky than effective in my experience.

I suppose having PW's cause 2 hits on a 6 would be a good fix (wonder if bfgr Necrons are done yet?)
I refuse to be killed by something I've never heard of.

Offline fracas

• WarMancer
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 02:34:26 PM »
yeah that is how we play it as well

Offline Lord Duggie The Mad

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 06:42:04 AM »
Thanks, chaps. 

LDTM
"Orders, sir?"
"Blast 'em to bits!  Do I have to think of everything?!"

Offline afterimagedan

• Loc: Chicago IL, USA
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 04:07:40 AM »
In truth, the whole ignoring shields on 6's is more gimmicky than effective in my experience.

Consider your 4 5 6 6 roll against an Emperor Battleship. That's where it matters. Normally, 4 blast markers and no need to brace. With particle whips, that would be 2 hits to the body and the IN player is always threatened a little bit by the particle whips. That's one of the best parts. In times where the enemy does not brace, a 6 is right to the body. It makes the enemy player a little more on edge about it.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 08:10:18 AM »
The '6' would mean a hit to the hull yes, but also only 2 (in your example) 2 blastmarkers on the shields, thus the Emperor having 2 shields still available.

Offline afterimagedan

• Loc: Chicago IL, USA
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 04:09:40 AM »
The '6' would mean a hit to the hull yes, but also only 2 (in your example) 2 blastmarkers on the shields, thus the Emperor having 2 shields still available.

Yes, If that is all you have to shoot at the Emperor that turn, you did 2 damage and the shields come back anyways. Normal lances would have done 0 damage.