August 02, 2024, 11:17:39 AM

Author Topic: BFG:R Adeptus Mechanicus  (Read 43769 times)

Offline Talos

Re: BFG:R Adeptus Mechanicus
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2013, 04:52:52 AM »
Okay you all win...let's just stop quoting giant text blocks guys, it's getting hard to read this... ;D

I'm really more in favor of the points buying it's just easier, fits in with existing pricing mechanics and will make the list more competitive.

AndrewChristlieb had a pretty good chart back there, but I have no idea how we would price those.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2013, 05:28:48 AM »
You say its just icing on the cake and claim that this conversation is evidence that people sorry more about gifts than the ship.  I see it a different way. This conversation is more about making admech a list that isn't something people avoid playing because of the random factor. You admit that there are games where you can actually get terrible options for your ships. There are also games where you can roll really great options. By why leave it where we just have to hope for good gifts for our fleet and not bad? I bet no one will bring Admech to Adepticon this year and its precisely because you may be sitting there rolling for your gifts before the game, get total crap, and then feel like you got screwed for that game. Even if gifts are just icing on the cake, which I think they are more than just novelty, you still paid points for something that you rolled randomly and was crap. If we really want to fix this and have the best of both worlds, we should just make all options viable and properly priced instead of random.
But now (with points) people will only take the good stuff and leave the bad stuff.
Plus the current AdMech isn't as bad as people make them to be. Yes, mostly outnumbered with upgrades that can be iffy to use but if you play there strengths you can win it with them.
Without a carrier I had most succes, lol.

Now with a pool you can place the random upgrade where you want.
Plus a 6 on the Ld dice roll is a select option, plus the magos can select.

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2013, 05:59:15 AM »
Its better, but purchasing upgrades is just a better idea if we want to have this be a competitive list.

You need to seriously rethink how admech works if you feel that gifts are necessary to competitiveness for admech. The fleet should be competitive without the gifts, not because of them. If the fleet is failing in that regard you are only using the gifts to make up for larger deficiencies in the fleet.

You admit that there are games where you can actually get terrible options for your ships. There are also games where you can roll really great options. By why leave it where we just have to hope for good gifts for our fleet and not bad?

No, I admit that there are some ship and gift combinations that are better than others but none of them will make or break your fleet.

I bet no one will bring Admech to Adepticon this year and its precisely because you may be sitting there rolling for your gifts before the game, get total crap, and then feel like you got screwed for that game.

This is purely assumption. It is just as easily the case that adMech is more expensive and by nature of having fewer ships less forgiving of mistakes regardless of the gifts you get.

Even if gifts are just icing on the cake, which I think they are more than just novelty, you still paid points for something that you rolled randomly and was crap.

Chalking something up to the dice gods, having a laugh and moving on is still a far better result than limiting the option everyone wants and then telling them they have to pay for an upgrade they don't want.

If we really want to fix this and have the best of both worlds, we should just make all options viable and properly priced instead of random.

This will never have the effect you desire. No option will ever be perceived to equally "good" to every situation. The net result is that you first set points then restrictions and then removal entirely. Look at nids. The solution was to just eliminate the refits in one of games.

If you want people to have control over what a ship gets and not create complex solutions, stop trying to reinvent the wheel. Random gifts aren't broken by any means, just give the player control over how those upgrades are assigned.

The disappointment isn't that you didn't roll AWR, it's that your gothic got FDT and your dictator got AWR. If you let people assign from a pool you keep the current system intact, elmininate the need to point out each gift and create restrictions, and give players more control over what each ship has.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 06:03:16 AM by Vaaish »
-Vaaish

Offline Brethren

« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2013, 01:01:50 PM »
This discussion is way to big. It's hard enough trying to follow, yet to contribute something useful.
Still, I've got one idea for a upgrade restriction I want to drop. Fell free to use, comment or completely ignore it.

"All upgrades have to be picked at least once, before you can pick it a second time." Trying to go for diversity here.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 01:06:07 PM by Brethren »

Offline Talos

« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2013, 01:53:50 PM »
@Vaaish Your random pool pick is not a terrible idea, but I feel like you are not grasping the implications of why people don't like random things.

@Brethren Yeah, me & Vaaish & horizon & afterimagedan are making this pretty freaking hard to follow. Reminds me of the nid thread...Not a bad idea either, but I doubt it will gain much traction since AdMech fleets are so small, you are basically saying that no Gift can be taken twice. Concept is great, but it's the execution everybody here (including me!) is having a hard time with.

Everybody want's AdMech to be:
1) Balanced: The fleet is of equal power level with all the others.
2) Fun: The fleet brings something new to the table, basically a combination of unique aesthetics, playstyle and ship design
3) Flexible: Every fleet should have vessels that fulfill different roles and have different strengths to allow for many different lists and combination. What we don't want is fleets with only one "effective" list.
4) Streamlined: Part of BFG:R consists of getting rid of clunky "one of" rules and designs to make the game both easier to play and consistent throughout the entire game system. A good example of this is horizon and Sig's MMS 1.9b, which streamlines eldar rules to better fit with existing gameplay and mechanics.
5) Competitive: Similar to balanced, everyone wants the AdMech to see more play a tournaments as an army that stands a chance of winning. It can still have unfavorable matchups, but it should be just as good in its niche as any other fleet.

Since we all want these things, it's fairly easy to see where our mechanic should fit in.

1) A cheap random gift of properly priced selected gift both appeal to a sense of balance. If the gifts are weaker and the player only pays 5pts for it, it becomes more like an exciting little goody than a true upgrade. On the flipside properly priced and chosen gifts becomes the true distinction between vessels of a certain class. In both cases they achieve a balance the current fleet is lacking.

2) AdMech already has different aesthetics, and it's playstyle is distinct from IN, mostly due to significantly enhanced ranged firepower and and a weakness to boarding/H&R. The small random gifts are definitely fun, like opening a christmas present. Purchasable and balanced gifts are also fun, same as normal upgrades are. Options equal player satisfaction, as long as all the options are interesting.

3) The AdMech fleet has good selection of vessels with distinct roles, so this is not too much of a problem.

4) Any kind of random rolling for abilities is unfortunately not a widely used mechanic (outside of orks, obviously) and so keeping it seems oddly outdated, like wearing platform shoes and bright pink fedoras to a formal evening.

5) Being competitive is a combination of a fleet being balanced in general but having and advantage against whatever is expected to be most popular. If this were 40k and Daemons were the big in thing ( ::) :o), Grey Knights would be a good example. Good in general, and strong against the most common opponent. This is more of a question, but is there any fleet that AdMech currently does better against than IN? Enough to count as having at least a slight upper hand.

Offline AndrewChristlieb

« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2013, 02:19:17 PM »
The gifts should just be flavor I agree with this. The problem is that not all of the gifts are useful, like at all. getting advanced engines kind of sucks when every other ship moves slower, paying for a gift that does nothing unless your ships is crippled also sucks. I mean comeon we should be working to make a list of SMALL changes to the ships that are instantly useful on most every ship and wont break how you want to play your fleet.

Dan those ones I listed were way over the top and that was the idea behind them, theyre so good you want all of them, we need to go the other direction tho, so minor your ok with getting any of them.
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Offline afterimagedan

• Loc: Chicago IL, USA
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2013, 06:02:45 PM »
You need to seriously rethink how admech works if you feel that gifts are necessary to competitiveness for admech.

Actually, I don't and think that you do. Let's no go that route because it's not productive and I really don't want this to go that sort of angry, unkind route. I could respond to each of your points but I think we just aren't going to agree.  I am simply not in favor of randomness in upgrades.  Basically, making Tyranids not able to take evolutions in one off games was crap. What made that work? Proper limits on how much of things you can take and giving them proper prices. I think we should do that with Admech as well.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 06:06:27 PM by afterimagedan »

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2013, 06:43:49 PM »
Well, Dan, you run the show.
Vote on it? (first round: random or points)

Then : which upgrades should it be. If vote is on points, how much?

Offline afterimagedan

« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2013, 06:48:25 PM »
Actually, do you think we should work with Andrew's suggestions? I think his suggestions are awesome but I would like to discuss that first.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2013, 07:05:28 PM »
Okay...

Emergency Energy Reserves: When crippled,
the ship does not reduce  turrets, shielding or
weapons strength. The vessel still counts as
crippled in every other respect.
A big improvement to the EER.

Advanced Engines: The ship gains +5cm speed,
as well as +1D6 when on All Ahead Full special
orders. The ship adds +1 to its leadership when
attempting All Ahead Full, Come To New Heading
or Burn Retros special orders.
The +1 seems reasonable addition.

Advanced Shielding: Ignore all negative effects
of having a blast marker or gas clouds in contact
with the ship's base as it applies to leadership,
movement and repairing critical damage. For each
hit against the shields, roll a D6, the hit is ignored
and no blast marker is placed. This effect goes
away if the ship suffers “Shields Collapsed” critical
damage
Rolls a 6 on a d6 I imagine? ;)
So, if you roll a 6 no BM is placed, if you roll 1-5 BM is placed secondary effects to be applied. So order of writing needs to be changed.

Fleet Defense Turrets: Two fleet defense turrets
are added to the ship capable of protecting itself
or any one other vessel within 15cm each
ordnance phase, adding +2 to the turret strength
of the ship it is defending (this does not alter
bomber attack rolls when used to defend another
vessel). These otherwise work exactly as normal
turrets do in all other respects.
No change? Is it good as is? Or add option they can fire at torps & ac in the same turn?

Gyro-stabilized Targeting Matrix: Ship
weapons are reduced to 75% instead of 50%
when on All Ahead Full, Come To New
Heading or Burn Retros special orders. Nova
Cannons still may not fire. The ship adds +1 to
its leadership when attempting Lock On special
orders.
Again,+1 Ld is fine.

Augmented Weapon Relays: Weapon batteries
shift left on the gunnery table before all other
modifiers are applied. Lance hits count as double
on rolls of a 6.
Have you ever seen a Gothic on LockOn with this AWR and some ridiculous good dice rolls? I did... :)
On the Retribution this upgrade is awesomesauce as well.

Now, even with these. Convince me to take another upgrade on a Lunar or Retribution then AWR?

EER, AS & FDT are fine options on carriers and the Endurance CL. Perhaps even on the Endeavour.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 07:07:29 PM by horizon »

Offline afterimagedan

« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2013, 07:11:58 PM »
I won't try to convince you because those ships will highly benefit from AWR, but so what? Why not be allowed to take them for a price?

Anyways, I agree with those changes, I think they are fantastic. I also think that the work Andrew was doing when we were discussion Tyranid evolutions, that work could be applied here to make percentile costs, etc.

Vaaish, if you think that the gifts are not a factor in making this a competitive list, why are you against putting a point value on them an allowing people to pick the ones they want? Is it just that you don't want everyone picking AWR for everything?

Offline Talos

« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2013, 07:17:58 PM »
A lot of people play last man standing when they play BFG with their buds in a casual setting, and I can definitely see emergency energy reserves being a winner in this department. Having AWR be very common is not much of a problem, as long as players are not penalized for taking the other options.

Offline Bessemer

• Loc: UK
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2013, 07:20:38 PM »
mmm...if people are that worried, then split AWR into two.

AWR- the column shift. 15pts?

Overcharged Lance Capacitors: 2 hits on 6. 15-20pts?

Any takers?

I know that's going over 6 gifts, but no-one said there should just be 6. Could go 2D6 like 'Nids. D66? :P
I refuse to be killed by something I've never heard of.

Offline afterimagedan

« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2013, 07:22:43 PM »
I could go with the splitting AWR into two.  The lance bonus by itself would probably be less than 20pts, maybe even less than 15 pts.

Offline Talos

« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2013, 08:41:03 PM »
Lance bonus at 10pts would be fine, IMO.

@Bessemer I swear on my dead grandmothers grave that if you claim credit for the AWR split I'm going to hunt you down >:( ;) ;D