September 18, 2024, 12:22:52 AM

Poll

Should the Nova Cannon be changed to the stats listed below?

Yes, make them official.
7 (87.5%)
No, we should use other rules.
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: November 01, 2012, 02:24:02 AM

Author Topic: BFG:R Vote 6: Nova Cannon Stats 2  (Read 5224 times)

Offline afterimagedan

• Loc: Chicago IL, USA
BFG:R Vote 6: Nova Cannon Stats 2
« on: October 28, 2012, 02:24:02 AM »
Should this Nova Cannon be official?

-D6 damage if the hole touches your base.
-1 Damage if it touches your base without the hole over your base. ]
-You can lock-on to re-roll your scatter dice (the scatter die and the other D6s)
-The scatter bands are 30cm - 60cm -> D6, 61cm - 150cm -> 2D6.
-The Imperial Navy is limited to 1 per 500pts.
-Shooting at a vessel with Holofields, the player can make you re-roll your score scatter dice result. If you are on lock-on. it negates this ability and the Nova Cannon shot should be resolved as if Lock-On and Holofields are not in effect.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 08:16:02 PM by afterimagedan »

Offline AndrewChristlieb

Re: BFG:R Vote 6: Nova Cannon Stats 2
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 03:46:53 AM »
Holofields make you re-roll your end result? Meaning you roll, re-roll if locked on then re-roll again for Holofields? Why not just say that Holofields force an automatic re-roll and lockon has no effect? I am assuming that this also mean that the Holofields force a re-roll even if the Nova scatters?
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Offline afterimagedan

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 03:57:37 AM »
Holofields make you re-roll your end result? Meaning you roll, re-roll if locked on then re-roll again for Holofields?
Why not just say that Holofields force an automatic re-roll and lockon has no effect? I am assuming that this also mean that the Holofields force a re-roll even if the Nova scatters?

The Armiral D'Artagnan Warprift 14 articles says that NCs not on lock-on always scatter against holofield vessels. When on lock-on, "For Nova Cannons on Lock On against Eldar, roll an extra D6 in determining distance and remove the highest dice roll(as well as lowest dice roll for the holofields). This means for Eldar between 30 cm and 60 cm, the scatter distance is acquired via 3D6 with the highest and lowest dice roll being removed. For Eldar beyond 60 cm up to 150 cm, the scatter distance roll is 4D6, again remove the highest and lowest dice roll."

What about this? This would make out NC exactly like the Warprift NC except the D3 thing.

Offline AndrewChristlieb

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 04:36:47 AM »
Im not too fond of always scattering :/ thats pretty harsh. What happend to Holofields forced hits to re-roll and lock on negated that? nice and simple

Offline afterimagedan

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 04:39:51 AM »
Yeah, you're right. It is nice and simple. Let's vote on that then.

EDIT: fixes the NC rules writeup on the original post.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 04:46:35 AM by afterimagedan »

Offline AndrewChristlieb

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 05:00:21 AM »
the player can make you re-roll your score scatter dice result

So the Eldar player can have you to re-roll the scatter die, whenever they want, hit or miss? Or by score do you mean they re-roll the scatter distance? I would think the former. I like the wording tho, gives the Eldar player the option of re-rolling a bad scatter too (scatters into a different ship you dont want hit for example).

Offline afterimagedan

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 05:05:04 AM »
the player can make you re-roll your score scatter dice result

So the Eldar player can have you to re-roll the scatter die, whenever they want, hit or miss? Or by score do you mean they re-roll the scatter distance? I would think the former. I like the wording tho, gives the Eldar player the option of re-rolling a bad scatter too (scatters into a different ship you dont want hit for example).

Exactly. They can see what you rolled and say, hmm, don't like it, and make you re-roll. Simple as that. Crap, I don't think this poll will let you change your vote.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 05:19:30 AM »
vs Eldar: for clarity: if the hole is on the base the scatter dice + distance dice is re-rolled.

Offline afterimagedan

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 05:26:22 AM »
vs Eldar: for clarity: if the hole is on the base the scatter dice + distance dice is re-rolled.

why does it have to be that? why not just let the eldar player choose if he wants them to reroll or not?

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 05:40:07 AM »
Dunno. :)

Offline afterimagedan

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 05:49:29 AM »
I just figured leaving it to the eldar player to choose, like a big boy, would be simpler.

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 02:51:46 PM »
Don't word the NC rules any differently against Eldar. Simply amend the Holofield rules to say that NC hits are re-rolled. If NCs on LO are allowed to re-roll misses then this, in effect, would mean that LO/HFs negate each other. Eg: you fire with 6 locked-on NCs at an Eldar vessel, 2 hit and 4 miss. You re-roll the misses due to LO and re-roll the hits due to HFs, therefore all 6 shots are re-rolled, making the initial roll meaningless. As such it can be skipped.

Offline afterimagedan

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 07:03:43 PM »
Don't word the NC rules any differently against Eldar. Simply amend the Holofield rules to say that NC hits are re-rolled. If NCs on LO are allowed to re-roll misses then this, in effect, would mean that LO/HFs negate each other. Eg: you fire with 6 locked-on NCs at an Eldar vessel, 2 hit and 4 miss. You re-roll the misses due to LO and re-roll the hits due to HFs, therefore all 6 shots are re-rolled, making the initial roll meaningless. As such it can be skipped.

So basically:
-Holofields allow the Eldar player to make the NC firer to re-roll.
-When the NC firer is on LO, it negates the holofield reroll.
??

Offline Talos

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 08:02:10 PM »
That's how I think it should work at any rate. LO and Holofields counter each other, so you just roll as if neither rule was in effect.

As for the tin heads, do they roll reactive saves per point of damage inflicted by the NC or for the initial hit (i.e. all in or all out)?

Offline afterimagedan

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 08:13:47 PM »
Each point, just like multiple battery hits. That way, it's not all or nothing.