September 27, 2024, 10:28:26 PM

Author Topic: Mixed IN Fleet Tactics  (Read 14354 times)

Offline Talos

Re: Mixed IN Fleet Tactics
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2012, 08:19:06 PM »
Do you use standard 2010 faq nova? In my limited experience, the nova seems underwhelming on its own. What size of game board does everyone typically play on? The sizes in the book are quite small, which limits the nova cannon even more.

Offline AndrewChristlieb

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2012, 10:20:12 PM »
4x6 or 4x8 typically ive not had any problems with the sizes in the scenarios theyre pretty spot on for what the scenario requires.
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Offline Talos

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2012, 11:51:01 PM »
Hmmm...that is actually quite a bit larger than what we were playing with (cruiser class size, which is 60cm by 90cm +starting zones, which we were ruling as 20cm), as there is no real mention of boards as large as what you are suggesting...although I believe you, page reference would be ideal. That will certainly improve my nova's ;D. Length wise or width wise deployment? Or, if both are options, what do you recommend for IN?

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2012, 03:26:48 AM »
Hi,
we play on 120cm x 180cm.
Ideal for up to 2500 points in my opinion.

Page reference:
BFG rulebook
advanced rules
battlefield
page: 40

Offline Talos

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2012, 04:59:47 AM »
Thanks a bunch, horizon...That should give me a lot more nova's ;D. Also, thinking of purchasing some grand cruisers, they seem decent in faq 2010 and really good with BFG:R revisions. What is the common consensus on these in the IN? Are they worth their points value with either profile? Also, I have read of people using them in pairs as pseudo-battleships, does anybody know anything about that?

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2012, 05:59:16 AM »
Hey,

The Chaos Repulsive Grand cruiser is pretty good, a tad slow for the Chaos fleet but a good addition to the IN arsenal (eg with the right fleet list etc).

The IN Vengeance is good.
The IN Excorcist is good.

2 Vengeances is a good concept, add an Emperor BB and you have an awesome 'abeam' line.
Vaaish uses this setup.
They work well in pairs, yes.

The Avenger is great in concept.

the BFG:R variants are... ehm .. don't remember, better priced I guess. haha. But the FAQ2010 Vengeance/Excorcist are good already.

Offline Talos

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2012, 06:17:19 AM »
Avenger gains 4 battery a side and costs only 200, veangence has its weapons at 45cm and costs 230 and the exorcist cost 260 and has 3/3 launch bays! I get the impression AC are slightly weaker in BFG:R, however, so maybe this is more balanced. Do people run dictators at 220 or 210? Maybe I will buy a pair of veangence for resilient line boats...Ok, so what about falchions? They seem good defensively against ordnance, but are they better than just grabbing cobra's and swords?

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2012, 07:08:23 AM »
Ah yeah, I didn't agree with 3/3 launch bays on the Excorcist. But, alas, the majority decided.
Avenger change was good-ish change.

We run Dictator at 220pts.

Falchions have a place as you say. It is Cobra/Sword combo but wastes less torpedo when anti-AC is the operative. If you field may AC the Sword is a better choice.

Offline AndrewChristlieb

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2012, 02:11:03 PM »
The real gem of BFG-R grand cruisers is the addition of varients with additional weapons emplacements. If everyone playing the revised rules then go ahead and use their pricing but if not then of course you shouldnt.

Offline Talos

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2012, 08:01:29 PM »
How do you use dictators in fleets? My experience with them has been pretty poor, and they seem to have mediocre offensive capabilities for a really hefty price tag. Am I not using these right? How do other players field them, and how are they played?

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2012, 03:36:39 AM »
Actually... the Dictator is a real attack carrier. A must even as it doesn't have long range weaponry like the other carriers. Now it is expensive, yes, but it is also a pretty unique vessel in the Imperial (and even Chaos) arsenal:
It can do a synergy attack on its own:

Torpedoes & Bombers from one ship in attack run is quite good. Turrets can only shoot one of them down.

Also imagine the AAF shotgun of this vessel as AAF does not half ordnance capabilities.

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2012, 01:36:14 PM »
How do you use dictators in fleets? My experience with them has been pretty poor, and they seem to have mediocre offensive capabilities for a really hefty price tag. Am I not using these right? How do other players field them, and how are they played?

BH is right. One of the main tactics of the IN is the AAF shotgun approach. You line up your fleet as close to the opponent as possible, facing directly toward him if he's facing you or a little in front of him if he's abeam, then go AAF on turn one with everything and fire your torps and AC. That covers an average of 54cm (bombers) to 64cm (torpedoes). This is often enough to get a first turn hit in. AAF does not halve ordnance. Therefore the Dictators will be able to launch all 4 AC and 6 torpedoes. They will have to spend the next turn reloading, but it's not like they had a lot of firepower to lock-on with anyway. By turn 2 the IN are usually either in the enemy lines or perilously close to it, at which stage the Dictators can generally pick a target and shotgun it with both torpedoes and bombers. Oh, the term shotgun regarding ordnance refers to the act of launching them and attacking with them in the same turn, before the opponent has an opportunity to intercept them with his own AC, thus bypassing the enemy's strongest defence.

Offline Talos

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2012, 01:54:21 PM »
It's probably just my inexperience then ;)...I find it really hard to line up torpedo salvoes, although my only opponents so far have been tau and eldar, which does skew my perception a little. Do the other movement specials not affect ordnance either (burn retros, come to a new heading)?

Offline AndrewChristlieb

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2012, 04:21:36 PM »
Ya the only thing that affects ordinance is brace for impact and crippled. You shouldnt have much difficulty hitting Tau with this but they can do it back to you ;), eldar on the other hand....

I personally dont care for aaf, i perfer to turtle and close slowly but its all subjective. Either way once your in 30 the Dictator can really put a hurting on. For the points tho id rather have an Emperor than two Dictators in most fleets, especially one with assault boats.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2012, 06:05:07 AM »
It's probably just my inexperience then ;)...I find it really hard to line up torpedo salvoes, although my only opponents so far have been tau and eldar, which does skew my perception a little.

Lining up vs Tau should not be a problem as they run on the same speed as the Imperial Navy.
And do remember the fact torpedos are fired in the front arc and not straight on only. So you can give an angle on it when firing.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 06:02:36 AM by horizon »