July 18, 2024, 08:30:11 PM

Author Topic: [WM] a smidgen of Dwarves  (Read 23303 times)

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
Re: [WM] a smidgen of Dwarves
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2019, 06:35:24 PM »
If I'd kept my dwarves I would have painted them blue and white like this!  In the end it was the pointy ears I did in this scheme, ha ha.

I tried painting things like this to begin with, but eventually I had to force myself to clear my desk of everything but one unit and complete it one at a time!
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2019, 07:59:59 PM »
I long to see them ended.

What decals will you use ? For my part i ues old epic ones, but they are in very bad conditions with those 20 or 30 years...

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • Loc: Worcester, MA
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2019, 02:20:10 PM »
I'd like to finish the basing on the Dwarves as well as their artillery before the end of the year but I'm burnt out on them for now. This is what I managed to get done last week before Fall In! I finished the skin and hair on the dwarves, and got them on bases along with the ballast. The decals didn't end up working out, they printed poorly and I found myself touching them up far too much. I scrapped the idea and painted simple patterns on the shields to differentiate the Warriors. I'll got back and match the shield pattens on the banners as well.

The general still is a work-in-progress, I'm converting him up along with an unreleased musician. I did manage to get some good decal prints for him and the Anvil, they'll be the only two in the army.

Offline docdom

« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2019, 06:31:38 AM »
That's really great painting. I especially like your use of washes and the highlights. And the choice of the light blue as uniform color makes them even more 3D.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2019, 04:28:34 PM »
Very nice work!
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline marell le fou

« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2019, 11:14:03 PM »
An unreleased musician ? We want pictures !

Extremly nice dwarf army. I was sceptical at first, but i must say you did very well. Your way of painting after spraying everything is very nice. Only showes what it can do at the very end.

Congrats !

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2019, 11:55:57 AM »
Thanks guys.

The king is unreleased too (as well as some heroes and runesmiths), he was holding a beer mug though so I'm swapping it out for a hammer. I don't think I'll get to paint this week, maybe next.

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2021, 01:40:52 PM »
I've been working on the Dwarves that I left unfinished two Novembers ago. The bases are nearly done, just another drybrush and flocking left. The artillery needed a bit more work, the crews are nearly done now with just the leather, wood and small details to go. Once they're done I'll finish the wood and metal on the artillery pieces themselves.

I also had two more heroes that were left half-done. They've been along with the ride with the crew. With these done I'd need to do some more building but I have another dozen or so units planned to bring the army up to 3,000 points.

Offline Ragsta

• Loc: Edinburgh
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2021, 10:20:27 PM »
Beautifully done, sir! Considering the scale my mind is definitely boggling!

Offline Pugwash

• Warmaster Downunder
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2021, 08:44:57 PM »
Coming back to an army is hard (for me at least) but I'm really glad to see more pictures of these - they're inspirational !  Ever since I first saw them pictures of this army has made me want to paint my dwarves - really looking forward to seeing more.
Warmaster Downunder http://warmasterdownunder.blogspot.com - My Armies, Painting and Battle Reports.

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2021, 10:01:45 PM »
Thanks guys.

I finished drybrushing all the bases for the Warmaster Dwarves this week, just the flock left on all them.

I finished the characters too and got them on their bases.

Finally, I did the base coats for the artillery as well. They still need washes and highlights however, hopefully I'll be able to get to that next week.

Also, I wanted to mention I started using Testors Glosscote and Dullcoate via my airbrush, thinned 1:1 with lacquer thinner. I had been using the cans but they're getting so expensive now I thought I'd try the liquid stuff. I can't tell any difference between the two right now, but it sure does dry super fast via the airbrush. I was able to pick up the artillery in under a minute.

Offline Apocolocyntosis

« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2021, 09:27:56 AM »
really impressive, always amazed at how you work through these mass-army projects (even if this one did take a holiday)

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2021, 06:35:45 PM »
Thanks Apoc. There's pros and cons to it. You can definitely get burned out if you take on too big of chunk, but I definitely think it speeds the process along so long as you can avoid that.

I finished the Warmaster Dwarf artillery pieces this week. I also edged a few bases on the entire army as well. My goal for next week is to finish that up and give myself Flock Lung putting the flock on everything. After that, it's on to something else.

Offline Lord Borak

• Loc: United Kingdom
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2021, 12:13:04 PM »
Damn, those are some nice models. Are these all the old GW ones? A mate of mine has recently been printing a shed load of 10mm stuff and he's just done some dwarves.

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2021, 03:27:01 PM »
They are, sculpted by Gary Morley.