July 18, 2024, 08:30:02 PM

Author Topic: [WM] a smidgen of Dwarves  (Read 23303 times)

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • Loc: Worcester, MA
    • The Epic Gamer
[WM] a smidgen of Dwarves
« on: July 13, 2012, 04:26:46 PM »
I've been waffling between a bunch of projects lately so progress is sporadic. I have started bulding my Dwarves though, they've been easy to bring along and prep the last month or so. These are my Rangers, I managed to separate all the models from one-another so I can stagger them on the bases and make them look a little more skirmishy.

The Thunderers are all set too, and since I had some room on the strips I added two heroes and my general to them.

The general's just a regular hero with a weapon swap, guarded by the halberdiers from the Throne of Power pack.

The heroes are a "Warrior hero" and a "Thunderer hero". I've also got parts to do a "Dragonslayer hero".

« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 04:29:54 PM by Dave »

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
Re: [WM] a smidgen of Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 05:26:29 PM »
Oh I see!  You made me insecure about my High Elves before I started them, and now my Dwarves are going to be similarly discouraged before they even meet paint. Typical!

But seriously though, this is awesome, looking foward to what you do. = )
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 05:36:46 PM »
Dwarves are all about equal opportunity. I tried to point out the social ramifications but they were having none of it.

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 05:49:05 PM »
Dwarves! this is going to be very interesting!

Offline Geep

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 03:50:11 AM »
Looking forward to the painted dwarfs, and also interested in the Man O War in the background- will we be seeing that later?

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 12:03:20 PM »
I can post the MoW stuff here too, it's up on the blog at the moment:

http://the-epic-gamer.blogspot.com/2012/07/now-with-more-games-nobody-plays.html

Offline Guthwine

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 08:35:34 PM »
Really like your small conversions like the weapon swaps and helmet removal of the hero guy! Looking forward to see them painted up for some inspiration, as dwarves are also on my future do list! :)
Warmaster:
- Bretonia
- Dwarves
- Highelf WIP

Epic:
-Imperial Guard
-Necrons
-Space Marines WIP

Offline TheIronPainter

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 01:19:50 AM »
Looks good! Now paint!  ;)
Visit my painting blog!
www.theironpainter.blogspot.com

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 05:28:37 PM »
Work continues on the Dwarves. I finished cleaning up the half-naked Troll Slayers this week. These will be a hoot to paint, maybe I can try for some tattoos on them.

Also, this is my "Dragon Slayer" hero. The idea is that he'll be being "held back" by his two minders until he's allowed to jump in the fray (the other dwarves get upset when he kills everything before they can get a chance).

And this in my Rune Priest, sans anvil. Just some weapon swaps here.

I also managed to finish building my artillery. I learned from the High Elf bolt throwers that it'll be easier to paint the crew on the base, base it and then add the cannon on later.

Same goes for the Flame Cannons. These came with an extra bit that looked like one of Wile E. Coyote's Acme dynamite detonators. I have no idea where it was supposed to go (even after looking at pics of the 28mm Flame Cannon) so I left it off.

Finally, the Gyrocopters are all set as well. I used clear acrylic rods to base them.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 11:29:01 PM »
How on Earth do you get the weapon swaps to stick?!  I'm wondering if you have some secret glueing power I could use to repair High Elf spears.
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 03:47:16 AM »
I keep the weapon hafts long, and put a bit of a point on them. The hammer heads I drill into so it's kind of like pinning them. I also use zap a gap ca+.

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 07:23:45 PM »
This army is going to be Top notch....

Did you consider base the helicopters in different highs (with two transparent plastic rods of different lenght). I see something like somewhere and when the two gelicopters were close together it makes a great effect.

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 01:56:35 AM »
Yep, they'll be at different height and one of the blades is at 45 degrees to the other so their bases can sit edge-to-edge.

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 01:01:57 PM »
The Dwarves are now all primed up and ready for some paint (I'm leaning towards a light grey and blue scheme). I'll either be embarking down that road next or painting up the MoW Empire fleet. Not sure which as of yet.

As with my Elf command strips I did a little bit of conversion on the banners. A friend at my FLGS gave me some Warhammer Dwarf shield icons and I turned them into banner tops.

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 01:14:06 PM »
Great, the banners are very important to personalize the unit (a very useful to recognize it in the battle field).