September 27, 2024, 06:17:47 AM

Author Topic: Proper Starters Guide?  (Read 2751 times)

Offline scw

• Lurker
Proper Starters Guide?
« on: June 18, 2012, 12:53:15 PM »
If I recall correctly Port Maw used to have a few articles to kick new players off in the right direction. Ive been interested in starting for a while but trying to get friends a nice quick guide that sums up maybe a good starting point or something outlining the basics of each list would be brilliant to get them in quickly and hopefully hooked enough to get a small league going.

Also im fairly sure ive got a hold of most of the rules basically everything off the GW site plus I found the compendium covering the Bakka fleet, rouge traders etc have I missed anything? and since the hosting site of warp rift is down is there somewhere else I could find them?

any help would be greatly appreciated, ive started Blood Bowl and Mordheim but trying to find everything I need for Gothic is really doing my head in

Offline afterimagedan

• Loc: Chicago IL, USA
Re: Proper Starters Guide?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 04:23:31 PM »
I am hoping to write one of these plus a tactics article, from my perspective, on each fleet.

As far as the starter article, what sort of stuff would you like to hear about? I am making a list based off of things you mentioned.
-Basics of the game.
-Each fleet with some of their strengths, weaknesses, notable tactics/uses.

Also, I compiled a list of stuff BFG players should know about and where to find rules, etc HERE.

Offline afterimagedan

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 01:48:34 AM »
Alright, he is my basic starter guide including basic fleet overview and game phase overview.

Starting Battlefleet Gothic: BFG Rules and Fleet Basics

Offline scw

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 12:59:42 PM »
Sorry mate could have sworn if replied.

The main reason I'm looking for help is I love the background and models of BFG but as the driving for the local area people will look to me for where to start etc. at the moment I really don't I is where I'd send them too.

I mean I suppose the cruiser bash is a good way to learn the rules but say they pick chaos I've no idea what to reccomened them to start the fleet, what good ships are, even how to assemble lesser used ships without models?

I realize it's a huge list and considering the environment at the moment even something like "IN should stay together and some solid basic builds are torpedo/nova spam. Here's a basic rating of each ship and a 750-1000 point list that isn't terrible/illegal/waste of money/no fun/whichever applicable." even just a paragraph for each race and maybe I regards to tau which list should be used/allowed to be etc.

I remember a few years back there were quite a few little articles detailing say the imperial fleet and how to use it etc but I suppose most were on port maw?

Offline scw

• Lurker
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 01:05:04 PM »
Also restrictions to allying? I know a few that we're untested in using mechanicus and navy together. Also using marines and baby together? I haven't got through the rule book yet with real life getting in the way do if it's a very stupid question I apologize

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 05:37:15 AM »
Alright, he is my basic starter guide including basic fleet overview and game phase overview.

Starting Battlefleet Gothic: BFG Rules and Fleet Basics

Hi Dan,

some notes you should add:

Basic:
BFG is played using the IgoYougo system. Only in the ordnance phase and endphase both players always act.
Distance and range is measured in centimetres.

The movement phase: Unless the special order Burn Retros is given a ship will and must move at least half speed. This is a pretty important aspect to the game.

Cool blog post :)

And
Ordinance = Ordnance.
;)

Offline afterimagedan

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 03:40:01 AM »
Great points there Horizon. Also, I apparently have been misspelling ordnance wrong for probably my entire life. Thank you for pointing that out!