September 16, 2024, 12:18:24 AM

Author Topic: IN Fleet 1500  (Read 2761 times)

Offline Fat_Bloke

• Lurker
IN Fleet 1500
« on: March 18, 2012, 03:05:28 PM »
Hi guys, I have recently managed to get some people at my local club to take up BFG on a regular basis. We are a competitive bunch and we will be using no house rules. With that in mind I have bought 6 cruiser hulls. I have built 2 into Luna class and am yet to construct the other 4. My initial thoughts for fleet composition at 1500 were as follows:

Mars
Mars
Luna
Luna
Luna
Luna

A little boring I know but I am a big fan of focussing on a line formation and bringing the most efficient units into the fleet. Any suggestions or critique would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Offline AndrewChristlieb

Re: IN Fleet 1500
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 04:46:17 PM »
If your using faq 2010 I'd say to bring the dominators for your carrier support. The lance decks work better for support than the weapons batteries of the mars and without the nova your free to stay at range presenting your broadsides, your torps will be helpful in case the enemy closes within range.

A pair of lunars a dominator and a tyrant w/nova and range upgrade would round you out pretty nicely, but your still going to have points left over. Maybe a dauntless to add some flexibility and a lead 9 admiral.
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Offline Fat_Bloke

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 06:00:44 PM »
I must confess I am a confused by your reply. As far as I am aware the Dominator has no carrier capacity, nor does it carry lances. I may well be missing something though.

Offline afterimagedan

• Loc: Chicago IL, USA
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 06:54:17 PM »
In my personal use of Imperial Navy, I like to either have lots of novas and a more long range fleet or use no novas and get in there quickly. The problem I have with going a line formation with your current line-up is that your Lunars will want to get close and torpedo shotgun them and the Mars cruisers will want to hang back and nova and provide ordinance. You will have to break them up at some point. Where your Lunars will want to all ahead full to get close, your Mars cruisers will be reloading and hanging back.

Personally, I would drop Mars cruisers for Dictators which will be able to stick to the torpedo line formation and provide ordinance support. Also, I am a fan of Armageddons and Overlords. I would consider those as well if you have the points.

Here is what I would chose...
Armageddon + Tyrant w/ range upgrade (these would be in the middle of the line of the 6 or maybe furthest away from there you think the enemy ships are heading)
2 Lunars (these would be coupled on the side of the line where you think the enemy fleet is going)
2 Dictators (these would either be coupled on the line furthest from where you think the enemy fleet is going or in the middle)

Hope that helps!

Offline Fat_Bloke

• Lurker
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 07:40:13 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of putting the AC on Dictators and having more fun stuff on the BC's. Is there any particular reason to have the Armageddon with a tyrant as opposed to a second Armageddon?

Offline fracas

• WarMancer
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 09:23:07 PM »
I like your list
2 nova cannons for long range action
2 carriers
i like the lunars in pairs for their versatility with batteries and lances

alternatives is to take dictators as carriers (all ordnance)
and lunars/armageddons with nova cannon as your gun ships (no ordnance)

Offline afterimagedan

• Loc: Chicago IL, USA
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 10:06:30 PM »
A second Armageddon is a great choice too. I use 2 Armageddons, 2 Lunars, and 2 Dictators often too.

Offline AndrewChristlieb

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 10:18:16 PM »
Lol sorry Id10t error. I ment dominion from the bakka fleetlist. 2 45cm lances and 2 lb/side 2 60cm dorsal lances and 6 torps.

Tyrant/armageddon works well because at best the geddons are one for one other cruiser. A lot of people seem to dislike the ranged IN fleet but it does work quite well.
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Offline Brutalrage

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 10:24:35 PM »
are u the Fat Bloke who used to be the White Dwarf Editor?

also, good luck with ur IN list :)

Offline Fat_Bloke

• Lurker
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 10:33:33 PM »
Hi brutal, much to my eternal disappointment I am not Paul Sawyer :P . That is where I took the name from.

Thanks again for all the responses guys.

Offline fracas

• WarMancer
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 09:36:50 PM »
the key is to keep ordnance ships together so they roll for "re-load ordnance" together while gunships are free to roll for "lock on" or other maneuverings