July 30, 2024, 03:16:18 PM

Author Topic: Expanding the fleets  (Read 12993 times)

Offline CyberShadow

• Administrator
  • Swarm Tyrant
    • Loc: Singapore
    • CyberShadows Hobby Blog
Expanding the fleets
« on: February 07, 2012, 08:04:55 AM »
With this section getting more traffic these days, and being one of the few BFG places on the web for discussion, I would like to add a few boards, expand this section, and organise things a little better.

Please let me know your suggestions for additional boards and/or organisation in this thread.

Thanks.
My blog: http://www.cybershadow.ninja
The Tactical Wargames Network: www.tacticalwargames.net

Offline LuCarD

Re: Expanding the fleets
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 08:25:58 AM »
Don't  ;D

More boards will not make it more clear it will just result in half empty boards. The oldest thread on this board on the first page is from November 2011. As soon as the oldest thread is week old or maybe two weeks old it would be time to reorganize.

And personally I like the mix of topics  ;)

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 12:46:33 PM »
For the ones who remember:

General Discussion
Rules Questions
Tactics & Strategy
Experimental Rules
(painting & modelling) -> GothiComp & General painting & modelling
(Technical forum issues) -> general forum

:)

Offline Zelnik

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 02:15:18 PM »
How would expanding the boards change anything? What could we possibly add?

Offline Chitin

• Lurker
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 02:13:59 AM »
The only one i think is missing is a trades board for those who wish to exchange models with others.

(That is assuming that that would be acceptable on this site)

Offline Lex

• Global Moderator
  • I wonder...
    • Loc: Bergen op Zoom, Netherlands
    • Warmuster . BitzBox
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 06:55:53 AM »
The Trade board is intentionally put on the higher level of the forum

Trade board

Offline fracas

• WarMancer
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 10:56:46 AM »
coalesce rather than divide the board

Offline Daemon_Primarch_Lorgar

• Loc: Stockholm
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 05:50:18 PM »
With this section getting more traffic these days, and being one of the few BFG places on the web for discussion, I would like to add a few boards, expand this section, and organise things a little better.

Please let me know your suggestions for additional boards and/or organisation in this thread.

Thanks.

How about a battle report section :)? I would love to see more BFG batreps and it could potentially help new players (like myself) to get some inspiration and learn the rules. Just a thought I had, but perhaps a little something to help SG in these dark times ;).

Offline Seahawk

• Bombardment!
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 07:27:17 PM »
A battle report section would be amazing, as well as tactical discussion. Absopostivolutely nothing against the BFG:FE work (which has been awesome), but it filled up the discussion board so much that there was no space to see any actual discussion, like tactics, batreps, model finds, etc. Either that, or all of that talk should've been moved to the Experimental Rules section, because that's what it is. ;)

The rules questions section is fine and necessary.

The experimental rules section can simply be a sub-forum of the rules section, to reduce clutter. I honestly can say I never go there, because it's not for me (I like printed stuff :D).

Change the GothiComp board to the Painting/Modelling board, and make GothiComp a sub-board. I also never visit that board, nor do I go to the general one up higher. I really only go to the discussion one, and only recently has it been interesting!

Something like:

[BFG] Discussion (general stuff)

[BFG] Tactical Bridge (tactics, strategies, etc)
>> [BFG] Battle Reports (sub-forum)

[BFG] Rules Questions
>> [BFG] Experimental Rules Feedback (sub-forum)

[BFG] Modelling and Painting (BFG-specific hobby stuff)
>> [BFG] GothiComp (sub-forum)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 07:31:53 PM by Seahawk »

Offline afterimagedan

• Loc: Chicago IL, USA
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 07:37:42 PM »
I don't think there needs to be sub-forums in some of those, Seahawk, but those are a great start. It could just be Discussion, Tactics and Battle Reports, Rules and Experimental Rules, Painting/Modeling, Gothicomp. I would hate to see Gothicomp put into a subforum.

Offline Seahawk

• Bombardment!
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 08:06:46 PM »
On the other hand it's only a once a year thing, so having a full-on forum just for it is silly. I also didn't want it overrunning said painting section the time of the year it comes around, so it makes the most sense.

Just my rationale! :D

Offline afterimagedan

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 08:34:55 PM »
No, it's not silly. I think it should be easily accessible and more in the front so that people see the forum and are able to have better exposure to the gallery. Put it in a subforum, it won't be seen nearly as much.

Offline Seahawk

• Bombardment!
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 09:24:52 PM »
Of course it will. Simply put in the description on the front page that GothiComp is within and it will be as visible as it is now.

For 1/2 of the year, that forum is a ghost town where nobody comments (but everybody looks with doey eyes :P). I can think of a few people who could be showing off ongoing projects in an easy-to-find BFG area, with the competition forum being in a sub-category; it makes all perfect sense. Empty forums are wasted bandwidth.

Switching the current forum to be painting/modelling with GothiComp in a sub-forum would be super easy. Just move those three threads into the "archive" and rename it GothiComp. Move all BFG painting threads from the generic area into the painting/modelling forum. Done! :D

Offline AndrewChristlieb

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 09:35:07 PM »
GothiComp itself should really be a gallery with just the voting and rules and such on the forum. But its fine the way it is too.
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Offline afterimagedan

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 10:15:25 PM »
Of course it will. Simply put in the description on the front page that GothiComp is within and it will be as visible as it is now.

So then what's the difference? You either have a description under the Painting/Modeling section that explains that Gothicomp can be found inside, so you click twice to get there. Or, you can just give it it's own link right there. One click. Either way, it's on display. Might as well keep it clickable.

Empty forums are wasted bandwidth.

Switching the current forum to be painting/modelling with GothiComp in a sub-forum would be super easy. Just move those three threads into the "archive" and rename it GothiComp. Move all BFG painting threads from the generic area into the painting/modelling forum. Done! :D

How does your idea change the bandwidth any?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 10:18:35 PM by afterimagedan »