September 13, 2024, 10:15:24 AM

Author Topic: 2 Quick Question plus some nice pics of the upcoming fleet :)  (Read 10611 times)

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
Re: 2 Quick Question plus some nice pics of the upcoming fleet :)
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 09:19:30 AM »
Well, if you bend the scheme a little it could end up like this:
Invictus - Marine Battle Barge

Offline AndrewChristlieb

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 12:16:03 PM »

I guess its ok if I take this guy and play with his rules but paint him up in the black templars colors for my 40k too then?
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Offline Seahawk

• Bombardment!
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 01:33:14 PM »
This would mean that it would never get played. Who'd paint up their fleet in the terrible SM colour scheme?
I think it's a very nice color scheme, blue and white. What's so wrong with that? And Andrew makes a very good point; one can't simply take a unit from a different army and put it into their own and expect everything to be hunky dory. It'd be like making the Planet Killer a Red Corsairs ship, using Marneus Calgar in a Black Templars army, or using the Avatar in a Dark Eldar army. Sure it's close, but in the end it goes against the fluff and you end up looking like a git.

Offline Fidel

• Lurker
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 06:10:30 PM »
This would mean that it would never get played. Who'd paint up their fleet in the terrible SM colour scheme?
I think it's a very nice color scheme, blue and white. What's so wrong with that? And Andrew makes a very good point; one can't simply take a unit from a different army and put it into their own and expect everything to be hunky dory. It'd be like making the Planet Killer a Red Corsairs ship, using Marneus Calgar in a Black Templars army, or using the Avatar in a Dark Eldar army. Sure it's close, but in the end it goes against the fluff and you end up looking like a git.

That seems a bit much though, as the Black Templar Codex and Vanilla Marines Codex are different, and avatars don't show up in the codex of the Dark Eldar. The way I see it is that chapters customise their ships to their chapters needs, and it would seem... really un-fluffy... if Ultramarines were the only ones that got a slugger cruiser. To transfer SO to another chapter might not be that much of a fluff change since all it is is a tougher BB with shorter weapons (now if it had lances or something that made it supremely unique, I would then question transferring it).

And if you don't like SO in this list, what would should I get for my points when I get a Battlebarge instead, since it is less points

Offline Seahawk

• Bombardment!
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 06:43:02 PM »
I started playing when races got race-specific characters and things that nobody else got; those units help provide character to the race. Now it's all "counts-as" and nothing is sacred ;)

Not all SM armies get to use the Blood Angel fast vehicles or Dark Angel Mortis dreadnoughts, despite their superior qualities. It seems more fluffy that way, in that communication isn't instant-galaxy-wide and things stay hidden or jealously guarded by their chapters. Similarly, not all SM chapters will have such a large gunboat, mainly because it is very unfluffy. The IN and Inquisition and whoever else wouldn't allow it, not to mention not all forgeworlds are the same and can produce that kind of thing.

What's so wrong with painting it in Ultramarines colors and saying it's joined up with your chapter for a crusade or somesuch? If anything it gives you the opportunity to try a different paint scheme. Trading it out for a regular battlebarge is only a difference of 25 points, which can go toward a reroll.

In the end it's your fleet, and as such it's not subject to moral complaints by anyone but yourself ;)

Offline AndrewChristlieb

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 09:08:32 PM »
Any of the chaos battleships seem like they would make a good venerable, especially that planet killer one... ::) oberon emperor and apoc would work but they're way slower than the strike cruisers and that may be a problem. The retribution actually sounds good in a sm fleet. Its cheaper, just as fast, armored prow, more torps, lances, range, range, and um range. Loses launch tho, but it makes up for so much that's wrong with the sm fleet.

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2011, 03:42:17 PM »
What's so wrong with painting it in Ultramarines colors and saying it's joined up with your chapter for a crusade or somesuch?

See highlighted section for the answer to your question.

Offline Seahawk

• Bombardment!
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2011, 07:28:00 PM »
You are fail ;)

This is win:

Offline AndrewChristlieb

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2011, 09:01:21 PM »
Looks ok to me, doesn't the SO have lance decks to represent the bombardment cannons tho?

Offline Seahawk

• Bombardment!
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2011, 01:12:24 AM »
That's what my next BB will be ;)

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2011, 03:41:10 AM »
I think that the blue and white CAN be made to work well, but the way the smurf fleet is painted on GW isn't it.
-Vaaish

Offline darth_fraggle

• Lurker
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2011, 09:28:02 PM »
The difference between the SM fleet and the various codexes is that, in order to field Marneus Calgar you're giving up the ability to field Belial or Azrael.   With the 2010 SM list, there's no advantage whatsoever if you don't consider the SO as an option.  I'm looking at starting a Marine Fleet.  I like the idea of a VBB, but I don't like the idea of an IN or Chaos ship as the centerpiece for the fleet(mis-matched styles), thus I'm kind of left with SO, and I play Dark Angles. 

Offline Seahawk

• Bombardment!
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2011, 11:58:49 PM »
To use the SO, you're giving up the option to use the Planet Killer as a VBB...;)

Also, the VBB rules do say the VBB must be painted appropriately, and the SO is an Ultramarines vessel, sooo...:P

Offline AndrewChristlieb

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 02:06:27 AM »
Da should have a fortress as the center piece. This is why I said that the common choices should have their own named vbb's. Shouldn't be too hard to make up a few for the most popular chapters. I also don't see the problem with making a "generic" vbb based off the standard bb also. Seeing how the faq is officially never going to be official ::) official is now pretty much whatever you can get the majority to agree on :D

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2011, 12:51:20 AM »
You are fail ;)

This is win:

Any fleet with such a colour scheme is destined to lose. The Ultrasucky colour scheme is ultrafail.