October 06, 2024, 07:29:27 AM

Author Topic: [BFG] New Ultramarine carrier  (Read 8845 times)

Offline canucks fan

[BFG] New Ultramarine carrier
« on: July 08, 2009, 07:19:31 AM »
Hey guys,
I've been keeping a thread of my latest WIP at port maw.  Here is a brief summary:

The idea was to have a WWII feel for a sister ship to my large SM BB "invictus"

Fiber optic lights being threaded through the ship sections:

Lets fire it up!

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
Re: [BFG] New Ultramarine carrier
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 08:08:08 AM »
Hi, that is very impresive and cool,

What a good idea using optical fiber!

Offline Meister.Petz

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 08:16:50 AM »
 :o That looks great :o
Warmaster: Skaven

Offline Chaos_Rabbit619

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 09:27:56 AM »
i dont know if your the same person from the old forum that used to do alot of BFG ships with the optical fiber, but if so, nice to see you back. if not, well nice to see someone continuing in his footsteps.

i was wondering will there be parts of the launch deck  ( the cut out parts ) that will also be lit up?

Offline canucks fan

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 06:41:47 AM »
i dont know if your the same person from the old forum that used to do alot of BFG ships with the optical fiber, but if so, nice to see you back. if not, well nice to see someone continuing in his footsteps.

i was wondering will there be parts of the launch deck  ( the cut out parts ) that will also be lit up?

Thanks guys.
Yup, that was me.  You can see the old ships at: http://www.tacticalwargames.net/forums/index.cgi?act=ST;f=8;t=12607

Here's another update: 
I know it looks a little odd right now, but just bear with me for a bit.  The conversion should look more esthetic when all the components are added. 

So, there are four 5mm white LED lights on the bottom of the ship.  These will be well hidden when the ship is finished.  Each LED has 2 wires soldered to the light.  These wires from all 4 lights are then joined in parallel.  It is powered by a watch battery.  There are no resistors.  Each LED is epoxied to the FOL bundle.  This glue not only keeps the LED in place, but also seems to provide better light transmission to the FOL bundle.

Thanks for looking,
CF

Offline Ale

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 01:45:14 PM »
I haven't sen this topic!!!!! This job is one of the best that I have ever seen... congratulations.

Offline russ_c

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 02:37:16 AM »
Good work as usual Canucks Fan!  I had considered putting led's in some of my Chaos cruisers just for engine glow and thought about using watch batteries as well.  But, I haven't followed through with the plan because it didn't seem like a watch battery could put on enough mAh for even a single LED.  Which batteries are you using CR2016 or CR2032 and how long do you find their life is with the 5mm LED's you have?  I'm not experienced with voltage math, but it hardly seemed like it would last a 1000point game even with a single LED.

Thanks,

Russ

Offline canucks fan

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 08:03:19 AM »
Hi all,
Here is another update:

The detail around the weapons was made with resin, and dragging a comb through it:

I'm not sure if I like the look of the new resin piece more like this (as I originally intended):

Or like this (the black areas is roughly the area I could grind away):

Also, I was originally planning to add two more flight decks (like the top airstrip) overtop the wing weapons, but I'm not sure if that would suit the ship.  I'm leaning towards leaving it as is.  Other than the above, the construction is almost complete, and should be ready for painting over by next week.

Finally, I need some help with a name!  This is actually kinda important, as I'm planning on incorporating it into the painting designs.  I'd like something really ultramariney.  I was thinking something along the lines of:

Courgeous
Guilliame's honour
Pride of ultramar

I definately want it to be in latin, but that language is not my strength.  The online dictionaries don't help me too much, because I have no idea of tense or verb conjugation.  For example "honour" online translates into:
"veneratio, ornamentum, macto, decus"
So then would guilliaume's honor be "veneratio guilliaumous"???

or "pride of ultramar" be celsus ultramaris???

Comments would be appreciated,
Thanks,
CF

Offline canucks fan

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 08:06:22 AM »
Good work as usual Canucks Fan!  I had considered putting led's in some of my Chaos cruisers just for engine glow and thought about using watch batteries as well.  But, I haven't followed through with the plan because it didn't seem like a watch battery could put on enough mAh for even a single LED.  Which batteries are you using CR2016 or CR2032 and how long do you find their life is with the 5mm LED's you have?  I'm not experienced with voltage math, but it hardly seemed like it would last a 1000point game even with a single LED.

Thanks,

Russ

Thanks Russ,

The battery is a CR2016.  I've had similar circuits on my other ships lit up for 3 hours and they have had no problems.  I really don't think that the LEDs put much voltage load on the battery , but I'm no expert.  Hope this helps,
CF

Offline canucks fan

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 07:21:30 AM »
Yay,
Its done!!!
Hope all the work was worth it.  This was a #$@!! to pull off.

Here's a teaser pic.
More to come after I take a rest. 
I took lots of WIP pics, so if there is something in particular you wish to see, lemme know. 
Bye for now,
  Mos Ultramarii   signing off...

Offline morkalg

• Lurker
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 01:59:48 PM »
Wow! So... how do you drill those tiny holes to feed the fiber lines through?

Offline canucks fan

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 07:07:11 AM »
Here are some non-teaser pics.
Calgar was the hardest to paint, although the side banners were tricky too.
I'll post some tutorials soon.
Thanks again for all the comments!!!

Offline azrael71

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 07:48:26 AM »
Absolutely amazing.
The artwork is stunning.
Makes me want to start playing, just need to find an opponent.

Offline m4jumbo

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 05:18:09 PM »
Wow, that is amazing.  Very nice work.

Offline Starsylph

• Lurker
    • Loc: London
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2016, 01:12:46 PM »
This is an astonishing peice of work - truly inspirational and worthy of its place amongst the Gothicomp hall of fame - I am also incredibly inspired by your Eldar entry too, i'd love to pick your brains about technique and method if you have the time?