September 12, 2024, 04:14:53 AM

Author Topic: Tau Fluff Questions  (Read 9566 times)

Offline Sigoroth

Re: Tau Fluff Questions
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2011, 01:44:48 AM »
Hollow ship, less durable.

No less hollow than the transports of other races, no less hollow than the Explorer, which has 3 times the hits.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2011, 03:48:54 AM »
Good to know.  Sounds like they just wanted a 4 hit cruiser.  And IIRC the tau MO before the kororvesh was weaponized commercial ships rather than a dedicated military fleet, so it wouldn't be that structurally compromised, you would think.

Offline AndrewChristlieb

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2011, 02:02:31 PM »
The explorer was converted to military use tho, I imagine they put extra bracing etc to beef it up, not to mention that it is bb size. The only other transports that are close to this size in game are the imperial heavy transports 6 hits (or ten upgraded).
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2011, 06:18:57 PM »
And when trying to fill out the fleet, see the retail costs of a battleship, cruiser, and light cruiser are the same. W. T. F.

This fleet has me absolutely bumfuzzled. Yay kororvesh! :)

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2011, 07:36:34 PM »
The explorer was converted to military use tho, I imagine they put extra bracing etc to beef it up, not to mention that it is bb size. The only other transports that are close to this size in game are the imperial heavy transports 6 hits (or ten upgraded).

The same is true of the Merchant. Both are cargo ships refitted to military use. And when you compare the Merchant to the Imperial heavy transports the latter are smaller and yet have more hits, despite being cargo ships.

Offline AndrewChristlieb

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2011, 07:57:31 PM »
I didn't realize the merchants were larger than heavys. Hummm I guess chock it up to gw's idiocy. Kinda like how the taus purpose built battleship has less hits than a converted transport....
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2011, 11:22:09 PM »
I didn't realize the merchants were larger than heavys. Hummm I guess chock it up to gw's idiocy. Kinda like how the taus purpose built battleship has less hits than a converted transport....

Yes, the lack of hits of all 3 of the Kor'or'vesh's capital ships is disturbing. However, this isn't down to GW idiocy this time, but rather FW's inability to grasp the intricacies of scale.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2011, 12:33:09 AM »
You think the kororvesh vessels look like they have larger hits Sig?  That confuses me on all but the 4 hit Emissary, which I can see.

The ultimate answer to it all is the one put forth at the beginning of the BBB, the one that states that everything is not to scale and is only a representative model of the ship in the stem.  Of course, thats not very satisfying an answer, when you know that they COULD easily do it to scale if they wanted to, and most of the ships seem to be to scale.

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2011, 02:32:34 AM »
You think the kororvesh vessels look like they have larger hits Sig?  That confuses me on all but the 4 hit Emissary, which I can see.

No, but if you're going to construct a CL you'd go for a 6 hit one, not a 4 hit one, yes? Similarly, if you wanted to construct a line cruiser then 8 hits would be the norm, not 6 hits. And a new battleship should also be 12 hits, not 10 hits. All this would have been possible had Forgeworld any concept of scale and did not always make their ships so small. The GK strike cruiser is tiny, the FW Tau ships are tiny and the Eldar CLs were probably first intended to be full cruisers but only ended up light cruisers due to size.

If Forgeworld had made the models larger the Emissary would be 6 hits, the Protector 8 and the Custodian 12. These would be much more appropriate for the fleet.

The ultimate answer to it all is the one put forth at the beginning of the BBB, the one that states that everything is not to scale and is only a representative model of the ship in the stem.  Of course, thats not very satisfying an answer, when you know that they COULD easily do it to scale if they wanted to, and most of the ships seem to be to scale.

Indeed, unsatisfactory.