September 11, 2024, 08:18:02 AM

Author Topic: Campaign Refits  (Read 3482 times)

Offline Sigoroth

Campaign Refits
« on: September 18, 2011, 10:30:37 PM »
For the most part, these are very sucky. A refit is supposed to be an improvement. These don't end up being an improvement because of the exorbitant cost involved, combined with the random nature of the refit. While I can see the randomness being apropos as you can't always guarantee the available resources nor, in the case of the crew refits, the effect combat experience will have. However, since your refit has already been earned by trial by fire, so to speak, why then does it cost you more points? You've paid already. Yes, the ship would be a bigger prize to the enemy and this could be reflected by increased VPs, but since you've had to earn the refit and it's random it shouldn't cost any more points.

Also, since ships are not, for the most part, new, but instead have usually been through several campaigns then it stands to reason that refits should be a part and parcel of ordinary fleets. So, for one-off games I think that refits should be available. Though here they can cost points. Either individual costs based upon actual value, allowing the refits to be selected, OR an averaged cost and some level of randomness, be it totally random or allowing the player to choose the chart and then a random roll or whatever.

The two concepts can even be combined. Such that at the start of a campaign you could have some ships with refits, costing extra points, but then earn some more "free" refits as the campaign progresses.

Offline AndrewChristlieb

Re: Campaign Refits
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 11:33:21 PM »
They should have a set cost like nids. some of these are much better than others plus it doesnt make sense for something to cost more because its on a different ship. I agree with refits on one off ships, most ppl will let you play them anyway so why not make it official. In a campaign tho I would say only allow them to be earned as thats one of the best aspects of the campaigns.
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Offline fracas

• WarMancer
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 12:32:34 AM »
I don't see a point for refits in campaigns. Afterall, why aren't these available already in oneoff games?
The only thing you should gain in a campaign is leadership, repair points, and additional ships.

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 12:39:40 AM »
I don't see a point for refits in campaigns. Afterall, why aren't these available already in oneoff games?

Not sure I understand this. Are you citing the absence of refits in one-off games as a justification for dropping them from campaigns? Refits happen, improvements are made over time, ships undergoing extensive repair or overhaul are often given newer, better systems to give them an edge over their foes. If you're going to have a campaign, representing a period of time then I don't think it's unreasonable to represent this process. Of course, if you take it to its logical conclusion then existing ships should have refits from previous campaigns. Hence the notion of allowing them in one-off games.

Offline fracas

• WarMancer
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 03:03:13 AM »
Except that tech in 40k is locked by fluff (with the possible exception of the tau)

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 03:05:49 PM »
Thats not quite true in the fluff, Fracas.

Offline AndrewChristlieb

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 04:59:33 PM »
? The fluff makes obvious and direct references to the fact that ships were refitted in campaigns. 

Offline fracas

• WarMancer
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 08:02:28 PM »
Refitted with better technology?

The fluff for imperial in the year 40k has tech advances based on rediscovery of old technology.  Most impetial and chaos ships are thousands of years old

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 09:33:29 PM »
Refitted with better technology?

The fluff for imperial in the year 40k has tech advances based on rediscovery of old technology.  Most impetial and chaos ships are thousands of years old

Yes, quite often ships in 40k are refitted with better technology. It's just that technology is recovered ancient tech rather than newly researched tech.

Offline AndrewChristlieb

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 10:36:26 PM »
All of the alternate ship types in the bbb at least were refits during the war. Targeting matrix on the mars, novas on tyrants ect.