September 11, 2024, 04:22:24 PM

Author Topic: Eldar and Imperial fluff questions  (Read 7508 times)

Offline lastspartacus

Eldar and Imperial fluff questions
« on: September 16, 2011, 01:47:17 AM »
So working on a project, and I was wondering if there was any fluff speaking of Eldar warp travel.
Do they solely rely on webway portals, or are they capable of warp travel as well?  I assume it would be dangerous.
Do they not have Gellar field technology?

What do stellar webway portals look like, are they ever mentioned?  Simply subtle, stealthy balls of technology floating in the middle of space?

How fast is webway travel in relation to warp travel.  I know that is a tough question due to the randomness of warp travel.

On the Imperium:  I know different battlefleets, in current rules and in fluff, have different typical traits that set them apart, such as Battlefleet Armageddon having more battlecruisers, I recall one of them mostly shunned AC, one fancied grand cruisers, etc. 
Who knows the most about which and what?

Offline AndrewChristlieb

Re: Eldar and Imperial fluff questions
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 02:32:56 AM »
As far as imp battlefleets the only ones that are in bfg (semi official) are gothic ::) armageddon which you hit on more cb and I think space marines can be taken as part of the standard fleet, and bastion which favor big guns over launch, only one emp allowed per fleet and it must be the dominsta astra iirc and one other ship that was unique (one only per fleet) that was basically a styx on the new platform.
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Offline AndrewChristlieb

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 02:37:12 AM »
Sorry bastion is the one with the cg's and bakka? Is the anti launch one

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 04:07:35 AM »
Battlefleet Bakka has/d the launch bay 'issues'.

Kar Duniash is known for  a higher number of Dominators then other sectors. So fleets getting ships from Kar Duniash would have more Dominators then the one in the Gothic sector.

The Doom of the Eldar pdf has substantial info on webway portals. Have you googled it? 40k lexicanum? 40k Eldar codex?

Offline Zelnik

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 06:22:27 AM »
I think you have that wrong way around, Horizon, since dominators can only be taken in Gothic sector, and no other ^_^

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 06:30:32 AM »
No no.
There was one Dominator in the Gothic Sector.
It is written Kar Duniash has more Dominators.
We have no official fleet list detailing the Kar Duniash Sector/Segmentum.
So I assume Kar Duniash based fleets have more Dominatos.

;)

Offline Dan_Lee

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 11:42:36 AM »
I remember reading somewhere (I can't remember where though), that the eldar can use warp travel, but only do so for short distances and in an emergency, as their souls glow much brighter than other races and so they attract daemons to the their ships too much. I assume this means they have Gellar fields, but they are taxed heavily by more daemons trying to get into the ship.

As for the appearance of webways, its one of the things that seems to be never mentioned. Some authors think of them as giant wraithbone constructions (i.e. dawn of war), while others think of them as invisible holes in reality. Perhaps both types exist.

In terms of speed, I imagine webway travel can be just as variable as warp travel, as many webway tunnels are damaged or destroyed, forcing the eldar to take long meandering routes to avoid blockages (as occurred in the second gothic war novel).
Various BFG and other gaming articles that I've written can be found (and downloaded for free) on my website, www.danleeonline.com. Enjoy.

Offline Lex

• Global Moderator
  • I wonder...
    • Loc: Bergen op Zoom, Netherlands
    • Warmuster . BitzBox
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 11:58:47 AM »
Realy large ones might be anchored by Eldar construction/artefacts scatered on astroids. moons and for a BIG hole maybe even planets.........

Nice setup for a campaign setting id say .....  8) 8)

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 01:02:12 PM »
No real info in print, but oh well.

Another question on Eldar.  What exactly IS the void stalker anyway?  I know it can be used by both craftworld and corsair eldar, but is it a pirate ship or a craftworld ship in purpose?  I ask because the aesthetics are seemingly corsair, but possibly simply because it came out before the craftworld eldar had their own unique look.  Would it be a considered mainly a craftworld fleet battleship?

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 01:09:28 PM »
Another question on Eldar.  What exactly IS the void stalker anyway?  I know it can be used by both craftworld and corsair eldar, but is it a pirate ship or a craftworld ship in purpose?  I ask because the aesthetics are seemingly corsair, but possibly simply because it came out before the craftworld eldar had their own unique look.  Would it be a considered mainly a craftworld fleet battleship?

?
The Void Stalker is only available in the Corsair list. Nowhere in a Craftworld list.

Design wise it is Corsair anyway.

/// the thing is, corsairs leave craftworlds. Do they forge their own ships or take existing ones with them? I suspect the first. Going on the path of outcast is different then stealing.

However, Yriel did just do that: steal a ship.

Offline AndrewChristlieb

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 02:59:01 PM »
I always thought that the Eldars ships would differ form one craftworld to another and that the corsair fleet was just indicitive of the Eldar ships from around the Gothic sector.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 10:09:54 PM »
I simply found it curious that the corsairs could manage or have a use for a battleship class vessel, being the resources that entails.

I just assumed they requisitioned one from a craftworld when things got serious.  I didn't realize craftworld couldn't use void stalker.  Funny.

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 12:18:06 AM »
The Void Stalker is a corsair build and design. Corsair Eldar having a BB does not preclude the CWE from having one. A CWE BB may be even more powerful than a CE BB. At the moment we don't have CWE battleships simply because SG has not released a model for it. The Wyrmship design is meant to fill this void, but of course it requires a suitable conversion.

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
Right, it just surprised me that corsairs in an asteroid pirate base could have the facilities to construct a BB.  But all that really informs me is that corsairs are better equipped than I thought, just choosing to live away from their craftworld.

On the subject of DE, I know their ships are different, but they follow the same principles, yes?
Would they qualify for MMS or is that too powerful for them. I know they don't use solar sails, but I figured their vessels would be of comparable speed, if not star-dependant.  It has always confused me honestly the great disparity between their means of doing things, far more far apart than imperials and chaos.

Offline AndrewChristlieb

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 09:32:13 PM »
Dark eldar only make one move altho their single move is very fast.