September 11, 2024, 04:21:23 PM

Author Topic: Teleport attacks & Ork Gubbins  (Read 2128 times)

Offline Sigoroth

Teleport attacks & Ork Gubbins
« on: September 11, 2011, 07:08:24 PM »
Looking at the Ork Klanz document and trying to make a H&R dedicated Ork ship, tricked out as much as possible. Then I saw that the Tellyporta Gubbin costs a whopping +30 pts. Obviously this is a typo and it should read +5 pts (in fact, most of the upgrades should cost a hell of a lot less). But even presuming it was a reasonable cost I was wondering if I would even bother wasting an upgrade slot to get it considering the current teleport attack restrictions. Apart from only getting 1 per ship (certainly not worth paying 30 pts to upgrade) and at 10cm range and needing to down the target's shields, which is all fine, you can't be on orders, or crippled and even then can't attack a ship with more hits. This last requirement is absurd. If a few a-boats hold enough men to attack a battleship then so does any ship capable of launching a teleport attack in the first place. The change to allow teleport attacks when on LO or RO was a step in the right direction, but this silly restriction should be dropped too.

As for the other gubbins, the Soopa Boostas and Extra Power Fields could afford to come down by 5 pts, Looted torps and lances by 10 pts and Mad Meks and Maniac Gunners by 20 pts. Similarly Bad Moonz and Deathskullz klan upgrade costs should come down too. Bad Moonz'd be 10 pts, 20 pts for Deathskullz.

Oh, and if you were wondering, the H&R Ork ship I came up with was a Deathskullz Gorbag's Revenge turned into an Assault Karrier, with Mega-armoured Boarding Parties and Tellyporta. This ship gives an average of 8 assault boats and 6 boarding torps, as well as a 30cm TP attack, all with +1 to the H&R roll. Also has roughly the same broadside as a Lunar, + ~9WB forward. Unfortunately, this ship comes in at 405 pts. Even revising the points costs down as I've suggested it still comes to 370 pts.

Offline AndrewChristlieb

Re: Teleport attacks & Ork Gubbins
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 09:28:02 PM »
370 sounds about right for that, 405 isn't terrible either but it does seem a tad high.
I don't make the rules, I just think them up and write them down.

Offline Kelsik

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 06:52:27 PM »
Since when has a ork boarding party ever been concerned they would be outnumbered? Da more humie gits da better da choppin.

The teleport attack restriction makes no sence for any fleet.  The point of a teleport assault is to beam a assault team directly to a target of opportunity on a critical system.  A target ship is vast and can not cover every hallway and bulkhead with overwhelming force all the time. (I won't sy the same for the nids).  its reasonable to just ignore the teleport restriction.

Offline Pringsp

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 10:38:28 AM »
370 sounds about right for that, 405 isn't terrible either but it does seem a tad high.
i agree