September 12, 2024, 04:18:17 AM

Author Topic: New to gothic- revised ork help  (Read 2782 times)

Offline scar face

New to gothic- revised ork help
« on: September 06, 2011, 04:00:39 PM »
Hi, I'm pretty new to gothic and me and my friends are using the revised rules, so I'm using the ork fleet rules below:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B1Nr32u9sF3EYTRjY2EzZDgtYjdkZi00ZGM2LTk2OGEtMmRjY2U2MWY5ZjAz&hl=en_US

Could someone give me a quick summary of what is worth taking (and not) in this revised ork fleet and a breif ideas of what tactics to use.

thanks,

scar

Offline Pembo

• Pembo's Battlefleet Gothic
Re: New to gothic- revised ork help
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 04:43:15 PM »
Hey there, i've not really played much with orks so I can't really offer much useful advice i'm afraid.

However those rules look like a previous draft to me. All of the revised fleet lists can be found here.

http://tinyurl.com/23nul8q

:)

Offline scar face

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 05:19:55 PM »
All I can find on your link is just the ork clan one which doesn't have much detail in :P

scar

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 10:24:29 PM »
The "revised" documents are fan made, sometimes incomplete and sometimes a little outrageous. A few kinks need to be ironed out. Just letting you know. The Klan rulez however are, well, "semi-official". That is, they were made by the HA, with some community feedback, but have not been ratified by SG and also have a few kinks that need to be ironed out. Current official rules are those in BBB (Big Blue Book) and Armada.

All that out of the way, I don't have a lot of experience with Orks and so have not given them much thought. The revised documents were originally meant to balance ship costs, internally within a given list and externally to make all races viable, as well as amend some ship profiles to be more consistent with the models (such as the Despoiler) or its class (such as the Retribution). As such your choice of ship should be, more than ever, a personal decision. So just about any ship should be usable. Some new ship classes and rule changes also got slipped into these documents that I am personally not a fan of, and which I think goes just a little beyond the original mandate.

On the other hand, the "official" versions don't ever seem to have balanced ship profiles, or even sensible ones sometimes, or well thought out fleet composition restrictions, but they do seem to be reasonably characteristic. I mention this with the Ork Klan rulez specifically in mind. So if I were you I'd use those Klan, upgrade and character rules rather than the ones from the revised document. You could use ships from the revised document.

If you were to do this I'd aim at creating a ramming and boarding based fleet, and choose ships and upgrades accordingly. Otherwise I don't have much in the way of advice.

Offline scar face

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 10:07:51 AM »
Thank you for the advice-

I didn't realise that the document that I was using was fan-made and not semi-official.

scar

Offline fracas

• WarMancer
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 10:43:34 AM »
Turret upgrades are helpful since all (?) orks ships have 4+ armor against bombers
This will also allow you to not waste reload fighter bombers for defensive caps

Offline kevinrose

• Lurker
    • starfall
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 10:49:05 PM »
hmm... kind a tricky i dont know how to follow this one.

Offline Taggerung

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 05:02:50 AM »
The fleet list you posted is something called BFG Revised, as Sig pointed out. It was originally called flawed fleets. It was pretty much how he described it as a way to balance out the fleets, especially orks, because well...orks suck in normal BFG. That looks to be the most up to date version as I helped work on the ork list. My own group uses these lists exclusively because they are better than the standard fleet lists. A lot of stuff just makes more sense and some absurdely overcosted items, and undercosted items were balanced out.

I would recommend giving them a try and see how your group likes them!