September 16, 2024, 12:15:13 AM

Author Topic: BFG:R  (Read 5798 times)

Offline korhil

• Lurker
BFG:R
« on: May 20, 2011, 01:10:11 AM »
I see a lot of talk on this forum about this Battlefleet gothic: revisited that some people have come up with and it seems to be a fairly sizable overhaul of the majority of the game.

What I'm wondering is if there is a PDF document somewhere of the entire BFG:R source material. Somewhere I can read it all without having to sift through the forums.

Thanks.

Offline Plaxor

• Tyrant of BFG:Revised
    • BFG files
Re: BFG:R
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 01:19:35 AM »
My signature. Sections are divided into each WIP, eventually they will be combined into a single document/book.

Offline korhil

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 11:04:16 PM »
Fantastic thanks.

A couple of queries. Was looking through the Imperial document and noticed:

Space marine strike cruiser has no shield value.
Invincible class heavy battlecruiser is an interesting ship. Is it really a battleship? If so perhaps it should be a light battleship instead of heavy battlecruiser.

Also on the Special Qualities page of the Rules document; Bombard says "Weapons with this are also subject to Hunter" but nowhere on the page does it define the "Hunter" special rule.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 11:29:34 PM by korhil »

Offline Plaxor

• BFG files
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 04:39:31 AM »
Wow, you found almost all my 'typos'.

These documents are all works in progress, and I try to fix as many errors as possible when I revise one.

The Strike cruiser should have a shield value of 2.
Hunter means that the weapon hits ordnance on a 4+

The Invincible might change places, although it would either be classified as a Heavy Battlecruiser or Fast Battleship. The rules will not change.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 07:01:41 AM »
Apocalypse class battle cruiser. ;)
should be Armageddon.

Offline korhil

• Lurker
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 08:34:13 AM »
Ive got a teeny weeny little request.

I know it goes against the Armada rule book but i'd love to see the Dauntless added to the Adeptus Mechanicus fleet list  ;)

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 05:23:42 AM »
Why?

Offline korhil

• Lurker
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 09:27:02 AM »
Well Adeptus Mechanicus ships are generally very expensive. I know there is a good reason for this. However I have always liked the Dauntless and was very dissapointed to find that I couldnt use them when I was considering making an AM fleet.

Dont get me wrong I'm not looking for a way around the fact that AM are more expensive, I just like the Dauntless a whole lot more than the other Endevour pattern light cruisers. They all feel under-armed when compared to the lance Dauntless.

Plus with all the cool new ships people have come up with that have made their way into the fleet lists it seems a bit unfair that the AM fleet list (read available ships) is unchanged. No Enforcer / Siluria / Ignus etc.
It makes sense that the AM, being based on Mars and overseers of the primary imperial shipyard, would have access to almost any ship class they desire.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 09:42:11 AM by korhil »

Offline Plaxor

• BFG files
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 09:41:23 AM »
Plus with all the cool new ships people have come up with that have made their way into the fleet lists it seems a bit unfair that the AM fleet list (read available ships) is unchanged. No Enforcer / Siluria / Ignus etc.

Older lists are unchanged. You'll notice that there isn't any new ships in the Armageddon fleet or Bastions fleets.

Admech is one of those older fleets. Only Tartanus (wardens) and Battlefleet Bakka have access to these newer vessels, however in trade they lose some of the older vessels.

Offline korhil

• Lurker
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 09:47:06 AM »

Older lists are unchanged. You'll notice that there isn't any new ships in the Armageddon fleet or Bastions fleets.

Except the Space Marine fleet list. And ofc the other races who only have 1 fleet list.

Admech is one of those older fleets. Only Tartanus (wardens) and Battlefleet Bakka have access to these newer vessels, however in trade they lose some of the older vessels.

Ok that makes sense. Perhaps what the AM need then is a 2nd fleet list. Maybe some sort of STC recovery fleet. A fleet that would prioritise multiple smaller ships over single larger ones in an attempt to keep the STC fragment better hidden amongst the fleet.
Playing on the increased security idea, prohibit the list from taking any allies, reserves or ships with launch bays but give all ships the Fast Tracking Turrets upgrade for free (and still allow a paid for upgrade). Whats more secure than the order "Shoot anything that doesnt look like one of our ships." Suitably AM I think.

Note: I couldnt find anywhere the definition for "Fact Tracking Turrets"I assume it allows turrets to reroll misses?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 09:59:31 AM by korhil »

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 08:45:43 PM »
Dont get me wrong I'm not looking for a way around the fact that AM are more expensive, I just like the Dauntless a whole lot more than the other Endevour pattern light cruisers. They all feel under-armed when compared to the lance Dauntless.
The Endeavour may have issues but that statement in untrue.

A Dauntless can do its best with a focus of 3 lances in one arc.

An Endeavour (AdMech!) can do a maximum focus of 6wb+2wb+1lance in one arc. At 30cm 1 lance equals 3weapon batteries.
Thus an Endeavour has a focus of :  6+2+3=11

Dauntless 3x3 = 9.

See? Endeavour has a higher focusable firepower.

AdMech does not need all ships, they only take what they deem best. ;)

Offline korhil

• Lurker
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 11:27:38 PM »
1 lance may equal 3 WB as far as ship characteristics go but i'd take the lance anyday. 1 lance just seems to have better damage potential than 3 WB.

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 07:00:48 AM »
1 lance may equal 3 WB as far as ship characteristics go but i'd take the lance anyday. 1 lance just seems to have better damage potential than 3 WB.

Well if we take your words at face value then you are axiomatically wrong. However, what I think you mean is that the lance will typically have a higher damage output. This is true. It will average more hits in most circumstances. However, try shooting into the engines of an Ork cruiser on LO at close range into the sun in any of the 1st 4 battle zones. Then tell me which one you'd prefer.

Offline RCgothic

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 07:48:25 AM »
If you want it to be lances, then you can take an AdMech Endurance instead. ;)

1 Lance and 3 WBs are equivalent vs AV5 moving away, or abeam at close range. However, lances will deliver their hits reliably, whilst WBs will deliver their hits in less frequent bunches, which are more useful for circumventing shields and brace checks.
In addition, Lock On gives a 66% bonus to WBs needing to roll 5+, but only a 50% buff to lances re-rolling 4+. Then if you manoeuvre cleverly, you can get a further 43% boost over lances by achieving beneficial column shifts.
The maximum damage potential of 4 lances is 4. The damage potential of 12WBs is 12. I know which I'd rather have on my main gunships. That isn't to say lances aren't useful for when you're out of position, facing space marines, or taking the last hit off an already damaged ship, but they're far more likely to be damaged if you've got a good broadside in with WBs first.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 09:06:54 AM by RCgothic »

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 07:56:36 AM »
Ha, yeah,
Endurance AdMech = max focus = 2 lances + 1 dorsal lance + 2 prow batteries. Thus 3 lances (as Dauntless) + 2 batteries. hehe.