September 11, 2024, 04:36:45 AM

Author Topic: Fighter Rules - BFG:R  (Read 23846 times)

Offline Phthisis

Re: Fighter Rules - BFG:R
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 04:47:53 PM »
@RC

But then youre wasting a whole wave to do what 1 lone fighter could do per turn.  The wave has to stop when it hits an enemy marker, whether it makes its save or not.  So a wave intercepts a torpedo salvo and takes it out.  A fighter has a 50% chance to survive and the other markers are a waste...  Very inefficient use of AC and easy enough to counter.  You have a much better chance of dealing with enemy ordnance if its fighters alone.

Really the only use for a save in a squadron is to protect them on the way in.

Alternatively, a save vs bombers would be better than what we have now.

Offline RCgothic

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 07:02:50 PM »
4 fighters vs 8 bombers. 4 bombers survive.

3 fighters 1 bomber vs 8 bombers. 2 bombers survive.

That's why that system won't work.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 07:09:23 PM »
We should do a pool system. Later more...

Offline Phthisis

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 07:44:54 PM »
@RC

Each fighter takes a bomber at least with a 50% chance of taking a second.  Thats an average of 1.5 per fighter, not 2.  So average 3.5 bombers left.  Of course, there's a possibility of 5 bombers surviving which wouldn't happen with 4 fighters.

Also, your fighters are now stuck moving 20cm because of the bomber.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 07:58:23 PM »
Ordnance Pool.

Okay this system is not new. I am just gonna re introduce it.

All Official Rules apply to fighter-aboats-bombers

Turret Suppression : per faq 2010 but only surviving fighters add an attack (this is wing commander/xwing ;) ).

Nate Montez rip off...

SET-UP:
Before the start of a game, each player assembles a number of attack craft counters equal to twice the number of launch bays available to the fleet, in any combination desired.

In mixed fleets that field special ordnance types, no more than twice the number of bays carried by the ship launching the special ordnance can be fielded, counted against the total for the fleet.
For instance, if a fleet has a total of twelve launch bays but only one cruiser equipped with torpedo bombers, up to twenty-four markers may be assembled for the fleet, but no more than eight torpedo-bomber markers may be taken, counted against the total.

When calculating for fleets that have variable launch bays (such as Orks), assemble a number of attack craft markers equal to twice the maximum number of bays available.
For instance, two 'Ammer battle kroozers (each with D3+1 launch bays) would count for sixteen total attack craft markers.

This "store" or Space Wing of attack craft is all the fleet will have available in the course of the battle.

ORDNANCE PLAY:
As attack craft are removed from play for any reason, the markers are NOT returned to the fleet's Space Wing, they are set aside until the End Phase.

END PHASE:
* After all critical damage is repaired by both fleets and all hits are tallied(Huh), each fleet discards (removes permanently from play) one attack craft marker of the owning player's choice from the fleet's Space Wing for every launch bay permanently lost due to starships becoming crippled, destroyed, etc.

* Afterward, each fleet rolls a D6 for each attack craft marker removed from play for any reason. For every roll of 1, an attack craft marker of the owning player's choice is discarded. However, the number already discarded due to lost launch bays may be counted against this total.

In other words, if a player loses two launch bays in a given turn and then rolls a single 1 in the end phase for discarding removed attack craft, he only loses two ordnance markers, not three.

NOTE: Obviously, only the ship equipped to carry special attack craft such as Thunderhawks or torpedo bombers may launch them, so if that ship is lost in the course of the battle, ALL the special ordnance markers attached to that ship must be discarded, even if it exceeds the maximum number of ordnance counters that must be discarded.
For instance, during set-up an Imperial player fielding a single Emperor battleship decides to max out on assault boats and adds 16 of them to his Space Wing. If in the course of a battle the battleship is lost, all sixteen of them must be discarded at the End Phase even if only eight launch bays were lost that turn.

Offline zaxqua

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 09:26:35 PM »
genius. pure genius. that is THE best ordinance idea I have ever heard.

Offline RCgothic

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 09:32:34 PM »
Really really dislike.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 03:59:35 AM »
lol

I like it. It makes for tactical thinking on what you deploy and use.

Offline Admiral_d_Artagnan

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2011, 02:59:06 PM »
Definitely a good start and should be the case really. AC shouldn't be unlimited.

Offline Phthisis

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 04:10:25 PM »
Hey, while we are at it, lets limit the amount of ammunition the ships have.  And lets keep seperate hit points levels for crew and ship structure.  Oh, and lets seperate each ship into sections and account for damage so if you take too many hits there the weaponty goes out and can't be repaired.    :'(

You know, one thing I like about BFG is that the ruleset is relatively simple and uncomplicated.

Offline afterimagedan

• Loc: Chicago IL, USA
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2011, 04:33:54 PM »
I would like to be able to play this game in a day, not several. Can we keep the micromanaging down?

Offline RCgothic

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2011, 04:45:37 PM »
The above two posts epitomise my objection.

I'm actually think it would be cool to develop a more complicated game surrounding perhaps up to three cap ships. A BFG:Necromunda if you will.

Similarly, I wonder about a streamlined BFG:Epic.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2011, 08:49:56 PM »
Then play Battlefleet Koronus, only for the space combat. hehe

Offline Admiral_d_Artagnan

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2011, 11:47:10 PM »
The rule provided by Horizon will not slow things down especially since the number of AC will dwindle down as the game goes on.

I don't mind running out of torps. WBs and Lances will generally have enough ammo and power to fight at best a 6 hour (a player turn being the equivalent of 30 minutes) combat in space.

Objections answered.

Offline Phthisis

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2011, 01:55:37 AM »
Sure.  No extra time at all.  That whole extra phase twice a turn will just whiz by.  Tough decisions get made quickly.  And having to come up with an AC roster before every game won't take any extra time either.

If you want to include AC micromanagement in your games, be my guest.  I want to finish a game in 3 hours.  Don't force this on every player.  Make it optional.