August 05, 2024, 01:20:54 PM

Author Topic: Inquisition cruiser and Grey Knights barge question.  (Read 3757 times)

Offline Zelnik

Inquisition cruiser and Grey Knights barge question.
« on: April 13, 2011, 07:52:39 PM »
It states that the grey knights barge gets the same upgrades as the strike cruiser, does this include the +1 shield?

Do the unique upgrades (+1d6 AAF and re-roll boarding actions) apply to inquisitorial cruisers in a pure grey knights fleet?

Offline Zelnik

Re: Inquisition cruiser and Grey Knights barge question.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 07:56:12 PM »
Also, according to the rules, it can replace its LC3 thunderhawks for 5 more bombardment cannons or another 6 torps... am I right?

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 06:17:16 AM »
(moving over from the news thread)

After reading though the rules for that section, I would have to say no, the battlebarge doesn't get those upgrades. It follows the profile for the marine BB in ALL respects so what you see in the marine listing is what you get for the GK BB. That being the case, it rules out the possibility of the extra shield entirely as that is a natural part of the SC profile and not even listed as being special to the GK or an option. You would no more assume that a lunar would have three turrets because three turrets are listed in the profile of a Vengeance.

It also says the BB only gets the GK special rules listed on p51. These are entirely different from the upgrades given to the SC.
-Vaaish

Offline mostholycerebus

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 10:44:26 PM »
It also says the BB only gets the GK special rules listed on p51. These are entirely different from the upgrades given to the SC.

The version I have says:

This ship follows the standard profile for battle barges in all respects. Additionally they benefit from all Grey Knights special rules listed here and on p.51.

On the page that lists rules for bonus AAF dice, Thunderhawk Anihilators, and boarding rules.  Leads me to believe that Grey Knights battlebarges get all of those.  Any word from the developers/HA?

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 04:33:21 AM »
I think you missed a bit there, the rules say GK do NOT have access to annihilators :)

That aside, it could be oversight although the following sentences lead me to believe it is intentional, the 5d6 AAF is specifically listed for strike cruisers and not all GK vessels. The only thing that I can see the BB getting is the boarding rules as those are applied to GK as a whole.

The upgrades I was referencing were for the Replace launch bays section.

Also as written, GK strike cruisers are insanely fast on AAF since they roll PLUS 5d6 for AAF, not a flat 5d6. As written, it gives GK strike cruisers a total of 9d6 CM on AAF.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 04:37:05 AM by Vaaish »
-Vaaish

Offline Zelnik

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 04:59:24 AM »
I REALLY think that is a typo..

9d6 AAF? that is ramming and boarding first turn stuff.

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 05:11:27 AM »
I agree :) I've emailed Ray about it since Nate seems AWOL. In the mean time, I think the Orks may be changing their motto to "the silver ones go faster!"

Of course, it could just be homage the Spess Mahreeens...
-Vaaish

Offline Bryantroy2003

• For the Gloriously Golden Dead Dude!
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 02:09:12 PM »
Who do I have to kill to get those engines on my Overlord?
You actually read this stuff?

Offline RayB HA

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 07:17:43 PM »
Hi Guys,

Sorry I've been away from the community for so long, I should have far more time to devote after May. :)

Anyways: GK SC is supposed to have +5D6cm on AAF just like a Dauntless. Not +9D6cm!

Where exactly does it state how a GKBB is upgraded?
Either way it should be Re-rolls to H&R attacks and the affects against chaos in addition to normal SM rules.

Cheers,

RayB HA
+++++++++++

When I joined the Corp we didn't have any fancy smancy tanks! We had sticks! Two sticks and a rock for an entire platoon, and we had to share the rock!

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 12:56:47 AM »
Thanks for dropping in!

The problem is it doesn't. It just says that the BB gets the special rules listed in the SC section and on p.51. The discussion has been what constitutes those special rules. Whether it was just the reroll for boarding and the chaos effects or if it got the extra d6 for AAF like the strike cruiser and could swap out it's torpedoes.
-Vaaish

Offline mostholycerebus

• Lurker
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 06:19:21 PM »
I think you missed a bit there, the rules say GK do NOT have access to annihilators :)

You got me.  They even specifically picked out my Crusade fleet, good rules writing there. 

That aside, it could be oversight although the following sentences lead me to believe it is intentional, the 5d6 AAF is specifically listed for strike cruisers and not all GK vessels. The only thing that I can see the BB getting is the boarding rules as those are applied to GK as a whole.

Yeah, I found that confusing.  The special rules specify 'Strike Cruisers" so you could argue that the BB doesn't get the AFF bonus, but in that case +15 points seems high for a nebulous boarding bonus.  Getting the Ordos Malleus Inquisitor Lord bonus rolled in there seems a fair buy, and makes more sense.