October 18, 2024, 01:15:55 PM

Author Topic: [WM] DaveCs various warmaster projects  (Read 43546 times)

Offline DaveC

Re: [WM] DaveCs various warmaster projects
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2009, 02:57:07 PM »
Thanks, Yeah I've seen the Eureka Rhinos but I haven't ordered any as I had already sculpted my own to the size I wanted for the Ogres (although the maine is a bit to big on mine) At some point I must get some to see how they compare size wise but they make a great alternative - still left with the problem of sculpting the legs though  :'( I used ebob Dwarf dollies to make the leg armatures so that I have something to work over.

I always sculpt very smooth armour for some reason it's just my sculpting style when it's painted it'll look a lot more worn. It looks like it will be next week before I get around to the painting.

Offline DaveC

« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2010, 06:51:55 PM »
Only 3 months late but I finally finished the Bruiser and Butcher this evening.

Second Butcher:

Fairly similar to the first Butcher just a few little details different. I had intended to give all the characters different coloured trousers but the red just seems to fit for the butchers so I kept them red.

Bruiser on Bull Rhinox:

I hope the details show up better now that its painted. I had orginally planned to do the saddle cloth in red and Gold but it wouldn't work with the purple trousers so I went for green and gold instead.

All 5 Command pieces together:

Sorry it went a bit out of focus here and there.

Thats all the characters I'll ever need finished only Greasus left to do but he is for later. I have the slave giant half done and the gorgers are undercoated so I hope to have more to show soon. I'm planning to concentrate on Warmaster for a while so hopefully I'll have more frequent updates.

C&C welcome as always.

Offline pw

« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2010, 07:26:01 PM »
I've seen some fantastic WM stuff on here but I think this army is my favourite. Not only are your conversions/sculpts brilliant representations of the WHFB models, but your painting is also spot on.

Of course, seeing all this good stuff reminds me that I'm still waiting to hear on your once-mentioned plan of sculpting up an army for the rest of us to use!

Offline DaveC

« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2010, 08:14:52 PM »
Cheers pw, the Warmaster scaled Ogres are great for painting just big enough to do some detailed work but small enough to hide any errors or lazy bits.

As for producing the army for sale I haven't given it much more thought. Thats not say I'm not ever doing it, it's just not part of my plans for now. I may skip my summer holiday this year to save money and if I'm at home for 2 weeks it might be an interesting project to fill my time.

You've just reminded me that I actually have another Bruiser ready for sculpting:

This shows how I go about turning a BOFA hill troll into an Ogre character. The legs are filed down, the head and arms have been replaced with ebob hobbit/dwarf armature bits. I'm in no rush to finish him I have more than enough characters but I do want another bruiser on foot to give me the maximum flexibility when choosing characters.

Any Ogres I may produce will be fully sculpted by me not conversions of existing minis.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 08:48:32 PM by DaveC »

Offline azrael71

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2010, 08:37:38 PM »
Great work as always dave.
I hope the army does come to production.

Offline fracas

• WarMancer
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2010, 10:00:38 PM »
damn fine work there!  :)

Offline DaveC

« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2010, 06:22:04 PM »
I've finished the Slave giant (just need to base him) and I'm half way through the Gorgers so I'll hopefully have pictures next week.

I picked up the final Bruiser last night and started adding some details. I finally called it a night at 4 this morning and finished him this evening. He's is totally different to my original concept which was based on the Tyrant with the great weapon. The only thing thats remained is the great weapon. He started evolving into a pirate and then ended up more like an Empire Maneater so I swapped the club head for a spare war altar piece and gave him an empire shield gut plate. There's lots of little details that probably won't show up properly until he's painted like the rings and the eagle and scroll work on the shield.

Thats it absolutely no more Characters!!!

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2010, 06:44:06 PM »
I like the style! also love the hat, gives him a great look

Offline Guthwine

« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2010, 06:48:10 PM »
The details are amazing as usual! Another fine masterpiece!
Warmaster:
- Bretonia
- Dwarves
- Highelf WIP

Epic:
-Imperial Guard
-Necrons
-Space Marines WIP

Offline azrael71

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2010, 07:50:57 PM »
 :o Great work  :o

Offline vincent

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2010, 08:58:45 PM »
 :o :o :o :o :o

Offline Geep

« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2010, 02:18:38 AM »
This is probably my favourite log on this site... Your sculpts are great and very detailed, and you have painting skills to match.

I just recieved some of your goblin warmachines through the mail- The pieces are very well done and I can't wait to paint them (they even impressed my girlfriend for a second- it's been a long time since she's looked at a model with an expression other than woe)
How do you go about casting these?

Offline DaveC

« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2010, 04:05:53 PM »
Thanks all I appreciate the comments. jchaos it was the hat that really set the character of the model. It's from the Empire greatswords kit. I tried sculpting a pirate hat and I was happy enough with it but when I tried on the empire hat that was it.

Glad you like them Geep thats probably the last of them I'll be able to cast the molds have started to warp so it's very difficult to get a proper cast done.

I use a 2 part RTV silicone to make the mold. The molds are done in 2 pieces, the green is set into plasticine with one half exposed. A box is built around the piece  (i use lego for the box) to hold the silicone while it sets. The silicone is poured and allowed to cure for 4 to 6 hours. The plasticine is removed from the other side and the mold is coated with release agent (otherwise the silicone would just stick to other half and trap the green) The box is reset and the other half is poured and allowed to cure. Thats the mould done you need the cut pouring channels and air vents into the mold.

Here's a picture of my Rhinox mold:

The protruding bits help to align the mold and hold it together while casting.

I cast in white metal using gravity casting. I don't have a centrifuge and couldn't justify the cost, I lose very little detail gravity casting but then I've had lots of practice. I've tried resin but it's not great at this scale and I like how metal sets very quickly. The molds are only temporary and will warp/burn out over time.

Hirst arts has a good tutorial if you want more detail.

http://www.hirstarts.com/moldmake/moldmaking.html

I still haven't based the Slave giant but here he is prebasing:

I keep getting distracted by other things (Damn you God of War 3!). I've been painting some warhammer scale Empire stuff this week so nothing else has been done. I have the shortest attention span and just seem to keep jumping from project to project. I have no idea how I ever managed to paint 4500 points of Daemons but I do have another 3000 points to paint  :'(

No idea when my next update will be as I'm really liking working on the larger scale at the moment

Offline vincent

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2010, 04:22:45 PM »
This Giant is very nice.
May I ask you where it comes from?
If you've not sculpted it I would be interrested to get a couple of them :)

Offline Carrington

« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2010, 04:38:13 PM »
This Giant is very nice.
May I ask you where it comes from?
If you've not sculpted it I would be interrested to get a couple of them :)

That's a Battle of Five Armies Giant: discontinued GW.