August 03, 2024, 07:17:06 PM

Author Topic: 1500 Chaos Fleet Help?  (Read 29545 times)

Offline Zhukov

Re: 1500 Chaos Fleet Help?
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2011, 06:29:09 PM »
Why are you guys arguing about this? It all really comes down to this:

Murder is 170 points.
Carnage is 180 points.

The ship worth more points is a better ship one on one. On the other hand, the Murder is picked more often as a staple to the fleet because:

1. The fluff says so.
2. The psychological barrier of spending points.

This whole... discussion... is pretty pointless. We could sit here and argue tactics all day, but the fact is there are a near infantismal ways of playing the game BFG. People have used Murders effectively and people have used Carnages effectively. Just as people have used Devastations and Slaughters effectively.

Can this just kinda.. end?? I'm tired of seeing bickering and nonsense on these boards, especially with some new names in the discussions.

-Zhukov
I am Zukov's Klaw.

"Oh mah gawd its like a giant veil was just lifted off my face and the beautiful maiden before my eyes just turned into a hideous Ork with a giant, bloody choppa."

Offline left of west

« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2011, 06:45:59 PM »
Fair, but what is "infantismal?"  Is that "infinitesimal"--meaning "immeasurably or incalculably small?"

I think there are actually quite a few ways of playing BFG. 

« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 06:48:33 PM by left of west »

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2011, 06:51:53 PM »
Fair, but what is "infantismal?"  Is that "infinitesimal"--meaning "immeasurably or incalculably small?"

I think there are actually quite a few ways of playing BFG. 

I think he means infantismal as a yoke of infant and dismal, thus there are "whiny baby" ways of playing BFG!  ::)

Offline left of west

« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2011, 06:56:03 PM »
Hm.  That could be it, I suppose. 

Offline Phthisis

« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2011, 01:33:01 AM »
But we all know what Zhukov meant.  There are a lot of strategies to choose from in BFG and as different ships are better at certain tasks than others, it makes sense that a ship you don't like may actually be pretty good when used in a different context. 

For example, I keep hearing about how you have to get close in to IN because they can AAF and shotgun torpedo you first turn and then you can't get away.  Orks can do the same thing (really really well).  Sigiroth brought up the same issue in the dice probability thread. 
Seems like a bad idea to me, since even if you get a turn before they come at you they can clear CAP off one ship and aim all the torpedos at it.  This would be even worse with Carnages because they have to be squadroned all together to avoid right column shifts due to blast markers.  If the IN targets a Carnage with the torpedo shotgun, you have the rotten choice of letting the Carnage die (1st turn, yikes!) or bracing to save it but nerfing your gunnery for a crucial turn. 
Also, getting in close and fighting at broadsides against Orks or IN with Carnages seems like a bad idea as well for the same reason.  You can't brace if one ship is going to take a beating.
These tactics don't appeal to me as I'm not a risk taker.

Thing is, I don't play that way.  I don't deploy at 60cm away from the IN.  I deploy abeam 75cm away from the IN fleet. Even if they roll all 6s on their AAF, I'm still at least 1cm out of range for a torpedo shotgun (unless somebody is fudging it). So this gives my opponent two big decisions to make: Do they AAF or not and do they launch torpedos or not? 
If they AAF and launch, I move around their flank and lance the nearest ship.  As I move a bit closer they will likely be in 45cm range and could be either abeam or closing.  As I have to turn, I can't LO, so the Murder gets better performance than the Carnage at this range.  I launch enough fighters to swat down any torps that would be hitting me in the ordnance phase and give CAP on the likely targets of topedos the next turn. The rest are assault boats to park in the way of the near ships so they either run into them, have to turn bad to avoid them, or have to use up fighters instead of putting them on CAP.  The next IN turn they have to RO (and I didn't go on SO at all), deal with my assault boats and turn into me to fire torps.  Thing is that the ships farthest away from me probably don't have a good bead on me without firing through their own ships, so they either have to forgo some of their torpedo fire or spread their torpedos out.  Either way, I've just avoided the shotgun and done some damage.
If they AAF and don't launch, I LO and fire away. They have a good chance of arriving inside my 45cm band. Then instead of launching fighters for CAP I send out waves of assault boats and sit in front of their ships.  They can either move forward into my assault boats or stay back.  As my assault boats moved 30cm, if they don't touch my waves then they are out of range for torpedos since both ABs and torps move 30.  If they do touch my ABs (I take space marines), then there is a chance they will have their prow armament disabled and can't launch torps anyway.  This isn't a dodge of the shotgun per se, but it reduces it's effectiveness and I get to cause a lot of damage and havoc in their fleet... which sets me up well for the next turn.
If they move forward and launch torpedos, then I swat the torpedos and LO.  There's no chance of them shotgunning now because next turn they can't both AAF and RO. 
If they move forward and don't launch torpedos, then I know they may try to shotgun the next turn.  In this instance I usually move 25cm straight ahead and turn at the end of my move.  I may AAF some ships in the rear of my formation. If they AAF they can't turn to face me to launch them shotgun style, and will be so close I won't be in their forward arc.  Maybe I'll be in gunnery range, but their weaponry is halved.  If they don't AAF I will still be out of torpedo range (75-40 is 35).  Then I can LO and cause havoc with my assault boats same as above.

When a Chaos fleet is turning around a flank wide like this, usually their opponents have to make some tough choices for SO to try and keep up and get their weapons to bear.  Do they RO, CTNH or Fire Retros to keep me from getting behind them?

So essentially I dodge the shotgun or counter it while setting myself up for the rest of the game. In case my positioning is bad, my Murders don't have to be squadroned to be effective, so I can brace one without bracing the rest.  Most of this fighting is going to be done in the 30-45cm range because the IN or Orks is trying to get to 30 to torpedo me and I'm trying to stay just out of range.  Once I'm around their flank they have functionally the same turn radius as I do and will find it hard to get in close. After I come around the back, then I can sometimes get to use my prow lances in addition to my side armor.  Abeam at 45cm is the sweet spot for the Murder, and I believe Chaos in general, and the lance Murders have some mathematic advantages over the Carnage at this range. I'm abeam the whole time so nobody is getting closing shots on me. 

I play this way.  This is why I prefer Murders.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2011, 07:02:00 AM »
Heh, always these people talking strategies for the cruiser clash scenario.

Tssk tssk.

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2011, 09:21:57 AM »
@Phthisis

75cm does not put you outside extreme shotgun range. Max speed (44) + torp speed (30) + target base (1.5cm) = 75.5cm. On top of that is the width of the torpedo marker and firing ships base if you're playing by original rules.

Also, sure, you can set up at 75cm sometimes. Other times you'll necessarily be closer. But it's hardly important. If I'm the IN player then I simply move to 60cm out. You can keep the distance and shoot or turn away and put yourself outside your own gun range by up to 10cm. Of course, if you do you're going to end up being chased and running out of room. If you maintain your range to be able to shoot then it's yet again the AAF/shotgun scenario.

As for "flanking", that whole bit is just a load of crap. You might be able to pull off that sort of manoeuvre if you're Necron. Chaos certainly doesn't have the speed for it.

Also, where on earth did you get the idea that I said that you had to close against IN? I said that as the game progresses you will get close. There's nothing you can do to avoid this. The ranges will drop. This is not what you want to do however. By using Murders you play into the hands of the IN fleet by using closing ships. Even if you're using them abeam like a Carnage, then the Carnage has more range and more firepower when it does drop down to 45cm. If you're using the lance variant Murder then it's very nearly the same firepower in the 45cm range bracket as a Carnage, but when you get down to the 30cm range bracket (and yes, you will), the Carnage has more firepower and when the opportunity arises you can move in for the kill with a Carnage. If I'm playing against Chaos I'm afraid of getting close to Carnages. I'm not afraid of lance-variant Murders at all.

Offline Phthisis

« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2011, 05:15:27 PM »
@Sigiroth
I said that you said Chaos has to GET CLOSE not that we have TO CLOSE.  You are saying its impossible to stay more than 30cm away, arent you?

Maybe I'm wrong but so far I haven't seen this happen.  Lets say that I pass a IN cruiser abeam at 35cm and start to circle it around the back.  How does the IN cruiser get to within 30cm so that I can't keep my distance?

There is a .08% chance my opponent will roll 24 for movement.  I'm not worried.  I could set up at 76cm just as easily.

If you move to 60cm in order to AAF and shotgun I will AAF, CTNH or FR in order to place my ships where they will likely be out of your fire arc and I can place assault boats in your way to make you choose between not going on AAF or taking a bunch of criticals, possibly losing your prow armament.

At 30-45cm, Murders have 2 lances and 1 WB,  Carnages get 3WBs.   Murders are better in every way at 30-45 and even better on LO.  If I can stay there, which I have done so far, I can avoid enemy fire and perform better than the carnage.

If I'm playing IN, I know the Carnage is nastier than I am at close range so its my prime target.  But since you have to squadron them for them to be useful you can't brace.  So my strategy is to force you to brace or lose your Carnage. 

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2011, 08:17:47 PM »
Weird phthisis, I am really wondering how your games go. They don't seem to make sense at all to me. IN or Chaos wise.

Offline Phthisis

« Reply #99 on: March 19, 2011, 08:44:03 PM »
I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have.    What part sounds strange to you?

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2011, 09:00:04 PM »
Well, first of all: scenario selection. We do not always play cruiser clash ya know.
Imperial Navy cruisers have a shorter turn range, thus can turn easier into you. If you keep moving away you are setting him up for AAF in your rear.

Quite weird also:as Chaos you prefer Murders, as IN you fear Carnages more.
So you are saying that when you play with IN you can come within 30cm but when you play with Chaos your opponent cannot.

Offline Phthisis

« Reply #101 on: March 19, 2011, 09:32:26 PM »
Oh, that.  We play cruiser clash a lot because it's our favorite mission.  Both sides have equal points and is pretty easy for pick-up games. 

IN cruisers and Chaos cruisers both have to move 10cm before they can turn.  Chaos usually has to move an additional 2.5cm after their turn.  The IN can make a tighter turn, but since the Chaos cruiser is on the outside of the turn, a tighter turn just keeps the IN cruiser farther away from the Chaos cruiser.  Both ships can make their full move before they turn.  For IN it's 20cm and turn 45.  For chaos its 25cm and turn 45.  The Chaos cruisers can keep a wider turn and therefore the IN cruiser can't ever close the distance.

Can you describe to me how an IN cruiser can AAF behind me while we are circling?

I don't play IN.  What I was saying is that the Carnages are a better target because of 2 factors.  First, it has to move inside the INs gun range to be truly effective.  Second, you have to squadron all the Carnages together so I'm either getting some easy VPs by focusing firepower on one or I'm making my chaos opponent brace with a lot of ships simultaneously and significantly reducing his offensive power in the following turn.
Murders can operate outside of 30cm, which is outside of most IN cruisers range.  Its harder for IN to concentrate fire on Murders and if there is enough firepower to make one Murder brace, the rest are unaffected and still able to fight at full power.  So a group of Murders are more survivable/more effective at close range and can engage better at long range.

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
@Sigiroth
I said that you said Chaos has to GET CLOSE not that we have TO CLOSE.  You are saying its impossible to stay more than 30cm away, arent you?

Again, no. Chaos doe not have to get close. They will get close. It is the enemy that has to close. It will happen as a matter of course. There is no way of staying at range.

Maybe I'm wrong but so far I haven't seen this happen.  Lets say that I pass a IN cruiser abeam at 35cm and start to circle it around the back.  How does the IN cruiser get to within 30cm so that I can't keep my distance?

Firstly, I have no idea how an IN player could possibly get themselves this far out of position. It doesn't matter anyway, since one BR would break the circling quickly.

There is a .08% chance my opponent will roll 24 for movement.  I'm not worried.  I could set up at 76cm just as easily.

I was merely correcting your mistake, not commenting on the likelihood of rolling all sixes.

If you move to 60cm in order to AAF and shotgun I will AAF, CTNH or FR in order to place my ships where they will likely be out of your fire arc and I can place assault boats in your way to make you choose between not going on AAF or taking a bunch of criticals, possibly losing your prow armament.

Assault boats are so naff. I would not be concerned about them at all. If you take a prow system off-line, oh well, I'll fire those torps later. Besides, my carriers would have launched fighters forward to clear CAP anyway. So whatever is left over from doing so would go to reduce your a-boat waves. If I'm really concerned by a particular wave, well, that's what Cobras are for. Oh, and there's no way you're going to get out of my front arc, no matter what order you use. All the IN has to do when they set up at 60cm is point themselves slightly leading your fleet. You can use your movement to avoid a straight line ram, not to get out of a firing arc.

At 30-45cm, Murders have 2 lances and 1 WB,  Carnages get 3WBs.   Murders are better in every way at 30-45 and even better on LO.  If I can stay there, which I have done so far, I can avoid enemy fire and perform better than the carnage.

If the majority of your battles spend a majority of the time in the 30-45cm range band (which is just absurd) then the Murder is comparable to the Carnage. The Carnage still has better firepower at 60cm (since you're abeam rather than closing) and if the enemy cunningly manages to pull off the simple and actually gets closer to you then the Carnage is better. Even when stuck in the 30-45cm range band the Carnage can still actually exceed the Murders' damage output. You note that the Carnage only gets 3 dice from its 16WBs when using the far right column. Well, this is only against a single target. You will also get another dice against another target. So, assuming you're shooting at more than one ship per turn you get the same total average hits, more when on LO.

If I'm playing IN, I know the Carnage is nastier than I am at close range so its my prime target.  But since you have to squadron them for them to be useful you can't brace.  So my strategy is to force you to brace or lose your Carnage. 

So, the Carnage is a threat but the Murder isn't? So why are you taking a Murder? If you're going to always be using the far right column on the gunnery table as you seem to suggest then why do you need to squadron your Carnages? You don't need to worry about clean shots apparently, since you're always using the far right column anyway.

The upshot is this, if the Carnage is sufficiently threatening to the IN to make them the target of choice and they have to form squadrons then they are more damaging than Murders. So if you want to take individual Murders and play them abeam like a Carnage for the trade-off of firepower for ... well whatever you seem to be getting out of that arrangement, then that's up to you. The Carnage however is the better ship.

Offline Taggerung

« Reply #103 on: March 19, 2011, 10:08:41 PM »
Ok guys...You won't convince each other, so just stop it.

Phthisis, you like the murder.

Sigiroth, you like the carnage, we get it.

Please just stop this useless argument.

Offline Zhukov

« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2011, 11:23:44 PM »

Infinitesimal, meaning immesurable, is obviously what I meant :P

-Zhukov
I am Zukov's Klaw.

"Oh mah gawd its like a giant veil was just lifted off my face and the beautiful maiden before my eyes just turned into a hideous Ork with a giant, bloody choppa."