August 04, 2024, 11:22:36 PM

Author Topic: Let's fix Battlefleet Bakka  (Read 89544 times)

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
Re: Let's fix Battlefleet Bakka
« Reply #180 on: February 10, 2011, 07:13:02 PM »
3+ is/was a MMS mechanic. :)

Offline PugO

• Lurker
« Reply #181 on: February 10, 2011, 08:26:02 PM »
The reason the old Bakka list was never made official is because it was crap. A very large portion of this crap came from FDTs. Either way, I see no reason for all this bitching that the new Bakka list isn't like the old Bakka list. If this Bakka list was like the old one it wouldn't become official. Because the old one was crap!

Just out of curiousity, what is your fleet list when using Bakka's original list? Same request also for you Baron, if you don't mind. Maybe from there we can produce something that can get back the Bakka feel.

Mine is Dauntless X3, Endeavour X 2, Hammer of Scaro (yes, it's blue), Enforcer X3, Cardinal, Gothic and firestorms.

Dauntless' supporting heavy ships. People have been using that formula outside of Bakka for years.

Hmm.. I think I see part of the problem then: The Dauntless' don't support the heavy ships, the heavy ships support the Daunt in a bakka fleet.  It's backwards to how a regular IN list works.  Put forming line out of your mind, think Nelson at Trafalgar or Perry in the latter phases at Put-in-Bay.  The heavy ships are there for the coup de grace.  Close rapidly, blast at close range with WB and torps, then hit them with massed lance fire.  Looking at the Baron's list it looks like he goes torp heavy.  Basically it's a trade for a much bigger intial shock for more kills over time with lances.  

I will say that without FDT the Dauntless' get chewed up too badly against carrier heavy opponents, even massing turrets.  With FDT you can effectively mass during the movement phase, which means that the usual trick of trying to put waves of AC in the Dauntless' path of movement doesn't work.   You end up spending all your LBs on fighters to clear the way for th ships rather then clear the way for torp attacks.  

I think it's a good alternative as well. I think you are limited to buying just one turret for 10 points right now which I agree is a bit expensive since the fleet is supposed to be about better ordnance defenses and the 10 point cost seems to push people away from bulking up the defenses rather than pulling them to boost it.

The problem is that we're working within some rather strict guidelines.  The two options that the HA has given us are Add Turrets at disgusting cost, which is not going to work, or Take FDT, which does work as originally written (reducing bombers) but seems to generate random amounts of hate.  

Personally, I like how FDT used to work, and think it's the better solution of the two.  The problem with additional turrets is that not every class has two turrets.  Some have 1, some have 3.  If you give a 1 turret ship +1, you've improved it somewhat, if you give a 3 turret ship +1 you're pretty much creating a monster as far as AC goes.

The Endeavour and Endurance will not really work as flak ships.  They're too slow, and too easy to kill.  Against, for example, a decent AC heavy Chaos fleet, they'll most likely be torn apart, because at these speeds they'd have to move in front of the fleet, making them easy to pick off with 60cm fire and leave the rest of the fleet flapping in the breeze.  Worse, they won't be able to respond quickly to changing situations with AC, and so would be easy to fake out into going in the wrong direction.  
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 08:28:22 PM by PugO »
'The advent of tanks on the modern battlefield allowed commanders to penetrate the enemy from the rear.' - A college textbook on the history of war.

Offline Admiral_d_Artagnan

« Reply #182 on: February 10, 2011, 10:35:29 PM »
Hmm.. I think I see part of the problem then: The Dauntless' don't support the heavy ships, the heavy ships support the Daunt in a bakka fleet.  It's backwards to how a regular IN list works.  Put forming line out of your mind, think Nelson at Trafalgar or Perry in the latter phases at Put-in-Bay.  The heavy ships are there for the coup de grace.  Close rapidly, blast at close range with WB and torps, then hit them with massed lance fire.  Looking at the Baron's list it looks like he goes torp heavy.  Basically it's a trade for a much bigger intial shock for more kills over time with lances.  

Sorry, to clarify what I meant, I was saying that multiple Dauntless' + minimum Heavies have been in use for many years outside Bakka. This normally means Emperor and 3 Dauntless or more.

I will say that without FDT the Dauntless' get chewed up too badly against carrier heavy opponents, even massing turrets.  With FDT you can effectively mass during the movement phase, which means that the usual trick of trying to put waves of AC in the Dauntless' path of movement doesn't work.   You end up spending all your LBs on fighters to clear the way for th ships rather then clear the way for torp attacks.  

Yes and so I was proposing either improved direct fire or the 3+ to hit. Nate however has issues with both. Personally, I see none as this is just a draft for a fleet with some special rules to compensate for losing something. Much like special rules of other races. Nate should really be more flexible when it comes to this. Or maybe re-rollable turrets.

Personally, I like how FDT used to work, and think it's the better solution of the two.  The problem with additional turrets is that not every class has two turrets.  Some have 1, some have 3.  If you give a 1 turret ship +1, you've improved it somewhat, if you give a 3 turret ship +1 you're pretty much creating a monster as far as AC goes.

Remember though there is no limit (yet as far as I can read). If you purchase 2 turrets for +5 each instead of the prohibitively expensive +10, that makes that ship quite resilient to ordnance. 

The Endeavour and Endurance will not really work as flak ships.  They're too slow, and too easy to kill.  Against, for example, a decent AC heavy Chaos fleet, they'll most likely be torn apart, because at these speeds they'd have to move in front of the fleet, making them easy to pick off with 60cm fire and leave the rest of the fleet flapping in the breeze.  Worse, they won't be able to respond quickly to changing situations with AC, and so would be easy to fake out into going in the wrong direction.  

You can't account for all situations. You have to do the best with what you have. The same situation can happen with your list against Chaos. Chaos can just stay far off and pick off your Dauntless' with heavy WB and Lance fire. Those are still just light cruisers.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 01:05:27 AM by Admiral_d_Artagnan »

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #183 on: February 11, 2011, 01:24:54 AM »
I don't think +1 turret for free in a bakka fleetlist, with little or no AC in the fleet, would be a problem.

Failing that, 5 points.  My vote is we go with one of these.

« Reply #184 on: February 11, 2011, 02:10:19 AM »
At this point, I'd prefer Bakka get:

1. 3+ to hit with turrets for free, then +10 per additional turret or
2. Re-rollable turrets for free, then +10 per additional turret, though this still feels a bit overcosted.

Offline flybywire-E2C

• BFG HA
« Reply #185 on: February 11, 2011, 02:27:18 AM »
Plaxor should not do popularity polls. This ain't highschool.

gLee! club BFG. :)

On Bakka,
in the version I d/l it still has the old FDT rule. Am I missing something?

The stats for the Dominion are WRONG.

Nate, it should be:

Prow torps str6
port bays str2
starboard bays str2
dorsal lance str2 @ 45cm lfr
port lance str2 @ 45cm
starboard lance str2 @45cm

///
I also think Emperor should be replaced by Oberon.
Jovian out imo.
Vanquisher/Victory, I like Victory more. Both ships kinda fill same role with all the lances...

Hi Horizon! Yep, the Dominion profile is the subject of a very poor cut and paste. However, for the same 260 points I upped the dorsals to 60cm (no other changes). With all other Imp BC's in the game having 60cm dorsal lancs, I believe the seat of a Segmentum Forgeworld and the producer of the Mercury can manage to put these on its analogue of the Mars. :)
Check out the BFG repository page for all the documents we have in work:
http://tinyurl.com/23nul8q
:) Smile, game on and enjoy!           - Nate

Offline flybywire-E2C

• BFG HA
« Reply #186 on: February 11, 2011, 03:10:55 AM »
I've read some of the more recent posts, and we seem to have once again devolved to name calling, flame-stoking and other such juvenile wastes of time. Okay, I admit "Team Horizon" was actually sort of funny. The rest of it though- really? We're all aduls or courtesy of the Internet at least can pretend to be. 'Nuff said.

In any case, Bakka 1.3 is on the street. Not as many changes this time, but they are still significant. The Dominion profile was corrected, and the Mercury "goes pop" has been toned down a bit. The biggest change is in the fleet list, where AdMech cruisers can be taken as battlecruisers and don't count as reserves. This keeps the FDT's fluff-true while allowing FDT's to be present in enough numbers to be characterful, if not entirely common. Before anyone panics because, "oh my gosh, now there will be Dictators EVERYWHERE!!" keep in mind that AdMech Dictators before adding FDT's are 255 points each, only 5 points cheaper than a Dominion, which as a Bakka BC can already be taken one for two Silurias for your min-max fiends out there.

On a side note, we're getting pretty close to the finish line with these projects so the document provides a sneak-peek at the final format and style of all the projects we will be sending to GW.

Enjoy! Oh, and easy on the flames already! :( ???
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 03:13:03 AM by flybywire-E2C »
Check out the BFG repository page for all the documents we have in work:
http://tinyurl.com/23nul8q
:) Smile, game on and enjoy!           - Nate

« Reply #187 on: February 11, 2011, 03:47:40 AM »
Turrets are really too expensive, Nate. +5 should be good if its just adding turrets. If you give additional boosts like the ones I propose (though not necessarily only my proposal), then you can put it at +10/turret.

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
« Reply #188 on: February 11, 2011, 04:27:16 AM »
I agree with D'art. The turrets need to be +5 points regardless of the Overlord having to pay 10 points. If you want to have people stock up on them that's what needs to be done.

Second, with the availability of the dominion, please delete the Mars. All you are doing is adding another ship with a NC in easy reach and the dominion already fills the role the Mars has. There isn't any need to keep the mars and it'll make Bakka more flavorful if it's removed. Besides production is supposed to have ended on the Mars and if they lost most of the fleet to the Nids, they won't be likely to have more sitting around.

Third, Please pull the cobra as well, the viper uses the EXACT same model and removing one will help reduce confusion in mixed squadrons. The cobra really isn't needed in this list.

Fourth, why the reserve thing with the Marines? that really isn't needed and doesn't even provide anything useful. If you are using reserves to get Admech for FDT and take a Jovian, you won't have slots for marines and if you go marines you really aren't gaining much since the best you will be doing is taking a strike cruiser. Leave the marines list out of this one. We can use the Dominion list if we want or the armageddon list too. This is just options for the sake of options.

Finally. The change to the Mercury is appreciated, but if you are going to say that the upgraded powerplant gives it stronger weapons you still have to reconcile it with the Overlord that does not have the special powerplant and yet has the same firepower at the same range for just about the same price. A ship that blows up easily really needs a reason to do it and +5cm speed really isn't a good enough reason. So far you've not even commented on why you don't want to see the weapons improved or any changes to make the explosiveness a reasonable trade off.

Some dialog and explanation would be nice to see on this because so far it feels like the list is being pushed despite misgivings.
-Vaaish

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #189 on: February 11, 2011, 05:41:43 AM »
5 point turrets! 5 point turrets! :p

Offline RCgothic

« Reply #190 on: February 11, 2011, 06:44:07 AM »
Again, my main comment is going to be that allowing torps as a -20pt refit on the Mercury/Victory is a gift. Nova Cannons are worth about 10pts over 6 torps, thus the Dominator. The other ships pay 20pts because it's a choice to take the non-primary option and thus pay more.

So if you're trading out torpedoes for a nova cannon with no options, the torpedoes are worth 10pts less for a S6 and break even when you swap them out for S9 torps. If the torps are the option, you're looking at a free swap for S6 and actually CHARGING 10pts for the S9.

Both the ships in question are already overcosted as well, so giving them torps so cheaply just guarantees that only the torp versions will be taken as players try and claw back some of the value.

The Mercury wording change is appreciated, but I also have to say: What firepower? It doesn't outgun the Overlord at 235pts. FP10 is what you'd expect from a BC anyway. If it were FP12@60cm, or S4 lances@60cm, that would just about qualify as up-rated firepower. FP10 doesn't.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 06:47:08 AM by RCgothic »

Offline Plaxor

• Tyrant of BFG:Revised
    • BFG files
« Reply #191 on: February 11, 2011, 09:40:06 AM »
*Agrees with RCgothic again*

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #192 on: February 11, 2011, 09:49:12 AM »
To an extend.

The Dominator is unique.
It must take the NC.

The others have a 20pts upgrade.

Now question is about Mercury, it is no longer a must, thus an option. Thus diffence between torp/nc is 20pts.

Which is a must in this case.

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #193 on: February 11, 2011, 10:57:10 AM »
Is there any fluff to suggest that the Bakka fleet has an unusually high number of AM or SM ships? Because if not, then they shouldn't have SM ships as reserves, and they shouldn't have access to AM ships as standard.

Also, why would you want to include the AM in order to field the FDT? This thing is a crap rule full stop. It should be dropped kicked out of the game. Also, it's just not that great a rule. Why would I take an AM ship, pay full price for the "random" upgrade and then pay 5 pts over the top to take the worst upgrade?

The RAW regarding FDTs still aren't clear either. According to them every ship in Bakka has 2 FDTs as standard. I doubt this is the intention, as you say that Bakka can't service and maintain FDTs later on. Delete the "two turrets on a ship are exchanged for FDTs".

Regarding those that want cheaper turrets, I disagree. Current IN fleets taking 1/4 of their fleet as carriers pay around +40 pts over what a straight gunfleet would. I see no reason why Bakka shouldn't pay the same in extra turrets to defend those 4 ships instead of AC, since it gets more guns in return and doesn't need to worry so much about RO. Particularly as they have the option of not taking the turrets. Also, shifting from 2 turrets to 3 turrets is a significant jump up in defence against bomber based fleets. If you were going to make it +5 pts it would have to be a mandatory purchase for every capital ship in the fleet, at the very least.

The Mercury is still overpriced and useless, and the Victory is still outclassed in all regards by the current Ret and soundly thrashed as a stand-off vessel by the Apocalypse (again, current version).

I would drop the Mars, Cobra and Sword from the list to reduce redundancy and confusion and to promote character. It seems more characterful if the list had to depend more on the older Havocs than the ubiquitous Sword. The Mars is just more NC spam given that there's a fine alternative in the Dominion. With the fleet having access to the Mercury, Dominator and Victory, we're already seeing a large amount of potential NC spam. Not that I particularly care, but it has been a stated goal of yours to reduce this type of thing. Besides, I like the idea of the list being forced off the beaten path slightly. This sentiment applies to the Cobra too, but this is more important, given they use identical models.

Offline Plaxor

• Tyrant of BFG:Revised
    • BFG files
« Reply #194 on: February 11, 2011, 11:04:57 AM »
I agree with Sig on the viper thing. I didn't include them in my document for the reason that THEY ARE THE SAME MODEL! I guess its not that big a deal, but its just annoying. At least with the Havocs you know that the infidels in that IN list are not infidels.