August 04, 2024, 11:20:54 PM

Author Topic: Flying blast markers - ideas  (Read 3971 times)

Offline Valhallan

Flying blast markers - ideas
« on: January 21, 2011, 05:46:55 AM »
So I threw together a few bucks and bought some foam balls, thin black mat board, a box of toothpicks and bag of cottonballs. The plan was to make 1 large and 1 medium planet. then 2 smalls, and 4 moons. mini balls to hack into rocks for asteriods, cotton balls for blastmarkers and sections of gas clouds. and toothpicks to raise it all up.

well, everything was going to plan until i tried to *paint* a cotton ball. it appears to be destined for failure. I know we have some pretty clever hobbiests out there and I was hoping for input on how to make real flying blast markers - preferably cheap - easily and en-mass.

any suggustions?

Offline Plaxor

• Tyrant of BFG:Revised
    • BFG files
Re: Flying blast markers - ideas
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 06:12:46 AM »
What I do for planets is:

1.Get a shit-ton of elmers glue.
2. Apply elmers glue over entire sphere several times. As in wait for it to dry, then apply again. usually this takes at least 8 layers. Eventually it will have a nice hard shell which is easy to paint.
3. Get 2 small pieces of pipe, one that fits inside of the other, Jam the larger one into the ball, and glue it in.
4. Make a wooden circle approx the same diameter as the styrofoam ball, drill a hole for the smaller pipe into it, and glue it in.

Basically with that you get a nice looking planet that won't be easily damaged and you can remove, and easily keep track of its location.

Still haven't come up with a good method for rings.... but I'm thinking circular cut outs of felt.....

Asteroid fields, you get some styrofoam balls, gouge them out and paint them brown and highlight. Try to make it look as irregular as possible, and remove all the 'round' edges. I usually just jam a flying base into them and call it done for. Although one thing you can do is wrap a piece of paper around the flying base stem, and glue inside the hole. then jam the flying base in there. Then you can remove the flying base and have a durable 'hole' for the base to go into.

When placing them on the table, usually the best thing to do is to put an asteroid at each of the corners of your field and that defines the area. Although I have seen things done with string and paper.

For dust clouds I just printed out a bunch of pictures of space nebulas and stuff that looked cloud like on cardstock and cut them out to variable sizes within the 'random' rolls for size.

Blast markers, well some companies make cool ones, but what you can do is get cotton balls, glue them to appropriately sized cardboard pieces, or 40k small bases, and then spray paint them first red (or orange) then black. Afterwards pull them from one part and stretch them out just enough to show the red again, and a little white.

Hopefully that is helpful!

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 11:31:42 AM »
Wow, 3d blast markers?  Thats so awesome.  A fully 3d bfg game...

Offline Valhallan

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 07:28:26 PM »
good call plax.

now i just need a sh*t ton of spray paint.

and yeah, a fully 3D bfg game is what i've always wanted. it'll look... well... friggin sweet when its all done.

about rings... well if the foamcore idea works out for basing a-fields and gas clouds - and since I'll only have 1 large planet - then making preset inner a-field and gas, and outer a-field and gas should cover pretty much any possibility. foamcore preset rings i think are the way to go. (perhaps cutting them into pi/4 sections for easier storing).

Offline il Mozzo!

• Lurker
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 08:57:39 PM »
IMHO

Those ones, at Armorcast.com

Maybe the answer!

Offline Admiral_d_Artagnan

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 10:52:45 PM »
Popcorn. Different flavors. Those you remove from the table, you eat.  ;D Unless the table is dirty of course.

Offline patghiggins

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 03:27:06 PM »
These look cool

From Litko, they ton of cool stuff
http://www.litkoaero.com/products/Flak-Markers-%28Set-of-3%29.html

« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 03:32:36 PM by patghiggins »

Offline Carrington

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 03:36:28 PM »
Steel wool is probably a better bet than cotton balls for home-brew blast markers.

Offline Zelnik

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 03:50:44 PM »
How about this.  Take a flight stand, clip the top and file a notch into the stem, place and glue blast marker into place. 

Those flak markers look amazing, but they are HUGELY expensive.

The armorcast explosions look great, but they are a little rocky for my tastes.

Offline Valhallan

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 11:44:36 PM »
agreed either too rocky or too flat for my initial liking.

just started using steel wool glued up to look like a big boom. - btw, if any of you all are trying this. don't use super lite grade steel wool its the hard shi* to paint. still... looks decent though. I'll post pics if its worthy after i'm done...