October 10, 2024, 03:15:28 AM

Author Topic: [WM] a bit of High Elves  (Read 83192 times)

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • Loc: Worcester, MA
    • The Epic Gamer
Re: [WM] a bit of High Elves
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2011, 03:50:28 PM »
I took last week off but unfortunately didn't have too much time to paint (miniatures anyway) most of my time was taken up by projects like this:

My Grandpa wanted his shed's roof stripped and repainted so I went to work, the above pic is after the primer coat on my 1:1 scale shed terrain. My Aunt noted that it would've probably been easier to buy a new shed but I digress...

I did manage to finish the touch-up on the chariot and bolt thrower crew though, again I'm noticing some things I missed though thanks to the macro. I'm hoping to print out some banners for the bolt throwers this week along with shield designs for my Silver Helms to finish them up.

I started on the horses too, using some dry brushes. I'm planning on stippling some gray on the white ones, not sure what I'm going to do with the duns yet. The bays are one step ahead of the rest though and I think they came out alright based on my source pictures.

Offline BlackEd

« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2011, 05:05:35 PM »
They look grteat!  I can't wait to see them in person!

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2011, 07:32:08 PM »
Hoping to have them done in time for January. We'll see.

Offline David Wasilewski

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2011, 08:26:13 AM »
Very nice detail!
How many points all together will the force be?

Dave

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2011, 01:53:31 PM »
Looking at 2k at the moment:

8 Spearmen
4 Archers
2 Silver Helms
2 Reavers
2 Chariots
2 Elven Bolt Throwers
1 General
2 Heroes
2 Wizards

I have enough to do half of that again, but I don't think I'd be doing it anytime soon (we've yet to play more than 2k). Some BoFA eagles and a converted dragon might find there way onto my painting table next year though, assuming I can get my hands on the former.

Offline David Wasilewski

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2011, 02:09:24 PM »
You want to come and play with our group. Everyone goes for 4K armies and I have gone for a "double" army of 8K of Orcs and Goblins.

Dave

(Warmaster........ for men)  ;D

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2011, 02:30:37 PM »
8k? That would take me two years to paint! Do you need a moving dolly to transport it all?

Offline Brutalrage

« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2011, 05:45:30 PM »
where is this group? such big armies = awesomesauce <3

Offline David Wasilewski

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2011, 06:01:48 PM »
It has taken me and a friend (the best painter in our group, who I pay) just over a year between us to paint them all. Another month or two and they should all be finished.

For my 40th birthday (end of Nov) we are having a gaming weekend 8K of Orcs and Goblins vs a combined force of 4K Araby and 4K Dwarves.

There will be lots of pictures oh yes!

We are based in Chorley, between Preston and Manchester in the UK

Dave

Offline calmacil

• Loc: Nottingham, UK
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2011, 01:36:14 PM »
Elves are looking great Dave  ;D  I'm jealous of your elves having chariots, wish dark elves had chariots  >:(

8K of Orcs and Goblins vs a combined force of 4K Araby and 4K Dwarves.
That is going to be great, i thought i had a few orcs (but i've only got 6k worth)

How many days are you expecting it to take?

..... there's a really good batrep in a fanatic magazine that is 6 armies, each with 5k.... and it took them 2 days

Offline David Wasilewski

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2011, 04:04:06 PM »
We're going to set it all up and do the first turn on the Friday night, before going out for curry and beer.
On saturday we will be playing all day and going out again in the evening.
Sunday morning we will do the last couple of turns then pack everything away to go home back to our wives, bleary eyed.

A friend of ours has access to a large flat that our group has been given permission to sleep at on the Friday and Saturday night for free and there are restaraunts and pubs nearby.

One of the lads has been designated the oficial photographer so there should be loads of pictures being posted up end of Novemberish.

We've been planning this and painting the forces for it for the last year!

Dave

Offline Brutalrage

« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2011, 08:41:10 PM »
We're going to set it all up and do the first turn on the Friday night, before going out for curry and beer.
On saturday we will be playing all day and going out again in the evening.
Sunday morning we will do the last couple of turns then pack everything away to go home back to our wives, bleary eyed.

A friend of ours has access to a large flat that our group has been given permission to sleep at on the Friday and Saturday night for free and there are restaraunts and pubs nearby.

One of the lads has been designated the oficial photographer so there should be loads of pictures being posted up end of Novemberish.

We've been planning this and painting the forces for it for the last year!

Dave

id give my left leg to have such a kick ass and active crew in my neighborhood :(

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2011, 01:55:03 PM »
I started on the chariots this week rather than try and finish the horses. I got the basecoat for the wood down and did the white and red lacquering on the front of the chariots. With my army colors I had a choice between Candy Cane Elves or Japanese Elves given the design on the front of the chariots, I chose the former. Hopefully I should be able to finish these guys up next week as I'll have a couple extra nights to paint.

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2011, 03:23:59 PM »
Nearly done on the chariots. All that's left is to wash and edge the bases, glue everything together and hit it with dullcote to take the glosscote shine away. The horses all ended up getting washed with Devlan Mud, in the end I think the Coat D'arms horse tone paints came out pretty realistic.

All that remains for the Bolt Throwers is to get some banners designed to put on them. I've been trying to finish up the decals for the Silver Helm and Reaver pennants before I print them out though. Find designs for that is a little troublesome.

I also finally based the spearmen too. All they need is another dullcote layer and the grass.

Offline David Wasilewski

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2011, 05:20:27 PM »
BANZAIIIIII

Excellent work on the chariots - you have achieved very bright, contrasting colours that work!

Dave