October 09, 2024, 11:17:40 PM

Author Topic: [WM] a bit of High Elves  (Read 83179 times)

Offline calmacil

• Loc: Nottingham, UK
Re: [WM] a bit of High Elves
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 03:30:18 PM »
wow!!! now that's what i call batch-painting.  :o

Very high standard as well, impressive 

I find it difficult enough painting one unit at a time.

Offline Brutalrage

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 07:06:54 PM »
remarkable!

very pretty!!!

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • Loc: Worcester, MA
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 08:41:51 PM »
Thanks guys.

Ya, painting in batches really helps. It'd take 1.5-2 times as long if I was doing it unit by unit, and I'd end up wasting a lot more paint too from all the unused stuff that dries up.

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 02:34:05 PM »
I managed to finish the white as well as the flesh on these guys this week. I ended up with a few extra painting nights due to a body surfing injury last weekend that ruled out climbing for this week. So, I turned to the tiny elves instead.

I also started the red on one of the strips, that'll be next week's project if I get to paint at all while on vacation.

I'm still hoping to have them done by the end of July, any thoughts on basing? Right not I'm leaning towards sand/pebbles with a quick base coat and drybrush followed by some kind of flock.

Not sure what I'm going to start on next, it'll either by the spearmen since I have so many of them or maybe the Chariots and Bolt Throwers for a "break".

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 07:07:25 PM »
Work continues on the archers. The red and bows are now done. What's left are the quivers, fletchings and hair. Looks like it'll be taking one week longer than July as I didn't get a chance to paint last week while on vacation.

Here's some close-ups of all the variants. I'm going to have to do a round of touchups once everything is done, I was definitely sloppier with these than I was when I was doing the test strip.

Offline David Wasilewski

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 08:08:04 PM »
Very nice! It takes Iron Discipline to batch paint Warmaster figures in large numbers.

Nice "ash wood" effect on the bows.

Dave

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 09:33:58 PM »
Tell me about it, my resolve weakens every time I work on them. One last push though ought to do it though.

Thanks, it was actually taken straight from GW's HE painting tutorials. Khemri Brown base, Kommando Khaki stripes and thinner Bleached Bone stripes. The khaki paint I have isn't very opaque though, so I might switch to Dheneb Stone next time.

Offline azrael71

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2011, 10:15:05 PM »
More outstanding work mate.
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 01:58:32 PM »
Thanks man.

I managed to finish up the painting on the archers this week and get them on the bases (which are magnetized :)). Soaking the cardboard strips in a little bit of water loosened up the white glue enough so they just pealed off.

I would have started the basing on them last night but the sand I have is a little too fine for 10mm I think. I'm going to see what else I might have laying around before I commit to anything.

Next up are half of my spearmen (spearELVES to be racially considerate...). There's more of them per base but they're armored much heavier than the archers so I'm hoping they'll go quicker with less paint having to be put on them thanks to them being silver already.

Offline David Wasilewski

• Warmasterplaytest team
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2011, 03:01:07 PM »
If I can be cheeky and offer some advice.......

With archers I like to snip them apart so they can be staggered slightly rather than all be in pairs of one behind the other.

It's a pain but as you have put so much effort into painting them already, I think just a bit more time and they could be even better.

Dave

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2011, 03:47:31 PM »
I thought about doing that back when I was assembling but the problem is five out of six of the variant poses are attached by more than something that can really be snipped. Often time whole arms or parts of the body are attached to the bow of the archer in the back.

I already replaced nearly 300 spears with pins, I wasn't about to mess with 96 archers. :P

Offline fracas

• WarMancer
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2011, 04:15:57 PM »
I mount my archers 5 strips to a stand to get a crowd

But each strip isn't as nicely painted :)

Offline calmacil

• Loc: Nottingham, UK
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2011, 05:04:59 PM »
Those archers are superb, very high standard. They'll look good on a battlefield. :)

Well done pushing yourself to paint so many. I also struggle with painting figures, takes all my willpower to pick up a paintbrush and start painting. I personally find films in the background or painting with a friend the best way to paint.

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2011, 03:48:42 PM »
Thanks guys, here's a little bit of progress.

I started work on my first four units of Spearmen this week. The silver is basecoated, washed and drybrushed, and the flesh basecoated and washed as well.

I also did the white basecoat on one of the strips while I was waiting for the flesh wash to dry. I ought to be able to get the white and flesh done next week hopefully.

I also worked on the basing for the archers a bit, thoughts? I'm planning to hit these guys with another coat of dullcote and then maybe use some static grass or flock, haven't decided which yet.

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2011, 07:38:20 PM »
Didn't manage to get pictures taken last week until last night, so here we are. Not much progress last week, the white basecoat took a lot longer than I thought. It was the command strips that slowed me down.

Hopefully the white highlights will go quicker this week but it already looks like I'll be painting these into September though.