October 10, 2024, 05:17:40 AM

Author Topic: [WM] a bit of High Elves  (Read 83200 times)

Offline David Wasilewski

• Warmasterplaytest team
Re: [WM] a bit of High Elves
« Reply #135 on: March 25, 2012, 09:44:34 AM »
Beautiful - rich and striking colours. Who says you can't put the effort in on painting 10mm!

The scale of 10mm allows for units made up of proper numbers i.e. a 2 unit Silverhelm brigade = 24 cavalry figures!

Welcome back into the fold.

Dave

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • Loc: Worcester, MA
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #136 on: March 26, 2012, 02:17:31 AM »
Thanks guys.

Glad to see people like them and that they've helped to expand the hobby. I've always liked work logs for this reason, it's nice I got to flip it around this time.

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #137 on: March 30, 2012, 06:18:06 PM »
I picked up where I left off with the Reavers a month or so back. I managed to get the base coats down for the horse flesh and tack. I should be able to get a wash and highlights on them this weekend. After that I'll move on to the flesh, red and white.

HAVOC was this past weekend and I picked up some of the Army Painter flock. I like it because it's not the ultra-fine foam/sawfust powder. Here's my first trial with it. Thoughts? I'm still planning on putting the tufts on as well, but I think it's going to be a lot easier to put this stuff down first.

Also, I was digging through some old models and found my dragons from the 6mm Dragon Lords line. Aside for the wings (too dinky) I thought the Purple Dragon would make an excellent Giant Eagle mount proxy. I've since named him Eagon the Dragle and managed to get a High Elf character off of a horse and on him, complete with headswap. I'm picking up some wings that I think will work for him tonight.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
  • Ben Sibbald | Newcastle, UK
« Reply #138 on: March 31, 2012, 01:21:43 PM »
Wait a minute - are you not spraycoating these minis at all? O.O
My Personal & Modelling Blog >>http://theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #139 on: March 31, 2012, 02:56:00 PM »
They got a glosscoat and two dullcotes.

Offline Vermis

• Mini Sculpture
« Reply #140 on: March 31, 2012, 06:29:49 PM »
I've got a couple of thousand points of HE to build and paint for a game, meself.  This topic is a huge inspiration and motivation.  I don't know if I'd go as far as painting the eyes and printing teeny-tiny decals for the shields, though!

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #141 on: March 31, 2012, 11:26:39 PM »
Come on! Why not? All the cool kids are doing it!

Offline Stuart Bleything

« Reply #142 on: April 01, 2012, 08:53:03 AM »
Your army looks spectacular , well done . Once a long time ago i would have painted the eyes in as well . Now unfortunately for me , my eyes are not as good .

Again well done .

Stuart

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #143 on: April 03, 2012, 05:43:49 PM »
The dragon looks pretty good. Are you going to use some HE draon wings?

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #144 on: April 03, 2012, 06:01:17 PM »
I found a pair of wings I liked from a Reaper mini. They're sitting on him right now waiting for some putty work.

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #145 on: April 06, 2012, 09:36:15 PM »
The Reavers are coming along, which is good because I heading out to Adepticon on the 18th. I did the leather flesh, tassles and pantaloons this week. Next up is the white, silver, bows and fletchings.

I still have to convert the banners on these guys too, hopefully I can get to that this weekend.

I got the wings for Eagon, I think they worked out pretty well. They still need a bit of putty work though, and I think I need to pin his sword arm as it breaks too easily. That'll be a blast...

Offline jchaos79

• Veteran member
    • Loc: Vigo, Galicia, Spain
    • Fortunes of war
« Reply #146 on: April 07, 2012, 07:28:01 AM »
Those wings fit the dragon so good. Also good job with swap of the raider.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
« Reply #147 on: April 07, 2012, 01:08:38 PM »
Wow I am seriously considering copying your paint scheme!  though I am too noob to do your fiddly modelling things I think heh.

Offline Dave

• Mod
    • The Epic Gamer
« Reply #148 on: April 08, 2012, 01:55:32 PM »
I was pretty happy with how well the rider sat the dragon. Until I put the wings on it looked like it was part of the same model. I had to clip some of the rider's robes to fit the wings in though. I puttied up the dragon over the weekend (and pinned the sword arm, it was a lot easier then I thought) so the robe work is next then the painting.

Copy away Stormwind. Let me know if you're using the new GW paints, I'd like to see how the tones are different if so.

Offline Stormwind

• Veteran member
« Reply #149 on: April 08, 2012, 03:29:57 PM »
I'm afraid that over the past year, despite barely painting anything more than some Epic tanks, I spent £100 on GW paints in anticipation of diving into things...  Now I feel gutted as all reports of the new paints are that they are superior, hindered only by the unutterably stupid naming system.

I will be braving the bullshit patter of the GW store in my town though, to buy a handful of new paints, especially for elves both Warmaster and Warhammer - and perhaps for my Space Wolves too. Number 1 is their high pigment white.

Right now - I am trying to find HE colour schemes that really fit what i have in mind.  I wanted my army to have - if not a seaguard flavour specifically, one where they look like they're marching across white sand to repel enemies.

I found this test model did someone online and the lack of red really sells it to me.  Man, I wish models were cheaper so I didn't feel so self conscious about "test models" x-D