August 05, 2024, 03:21:37 PM

Author Topic: Flawed Faq/Ruleset  (Read 10141 times)

Offline Plaxor

• Tyrant of BFG:Revised
    • BFG files
Re: Flawed Faq/Ruleset
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 06:19:55 AM »
I'm pretty happy with where they are. They aren't OP (although some people think they are), it just takes different tactics to fight them.
They especially aren't OP in missions.

If anything they would need to be cheaper, but they aren't something that needs to be competitive, they're just.... well a fun and characterful weapon.

Torpedoes are much more competitive, even with the size reduction (which I don't think matters all that much)

Offline RCgothic

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 08:00:00 AM »
Nova cannons. From the several huge threads on this forum, it seems no one is particularly happy about their current state.

No, most people are happy with their current state, and a vocal minority won't let the argument lie.

As for BMs, 1 D6 for removal per 10 in play?

Offline Vaaish

• Digital Equinox
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 08:20:44 AM »
Torpedoes are much more competitive, even with the size reduction (which I don't think matters all that much)
It's not necessarily the size, it's more the mechanics of the new implementation that's at fault. If you have more than one dice for the strength on a marker it gets messy on the table and alternative means aren't much cleaner (writing it on a slip of paper, marking it with a penny, etc.). It quite simply does not scale well and provides less incentive to combine a salvo unless you are in shotgun range.

One d6 per maker still halves the size of torpedo spreads and make it easier to read on the table.
-Vaaish

Offline Gron

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 10:48:26 AM »
NC's: I'm happy with their current state, but as it turned out I stopped using them all together. This made everyone even more happy (including myself).

BM's: Remove 1D6 per 750pts (or part thereof) played should keep them at bay. I've printed out two additional colour sheets of BM's and glued them to simple cardboard and it is not uncommon to run out of BM's even then in a 1500pt game :/

Offline Eldanesh

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 11:15:43 AM »
BM: additional D6 reduce the number of blastmarkers way to fast: 3D6 (Plasxors suggestion) or 4D6 (gron) in a 3k Game will remove an average of 21/28 markers every turn - this is more than you usually produce.

I'll sugest 1D6 up to 1500 Points plus one additional every 750P. Eg. D6+2 in a 3k game (for an average of 11 markers removed each turn)

Or two alternatives:

- the simple solution: after removing D6 BM's you can remove any additional marker your opponent agrees with (so you'll usually remove any "unimportant" bM)

- roll a D6 for each BM. On al roll of 5+ (4+?) the marker is removed.
This system guarantees a "constant" removal of markers regardless of point size played. And it is random (a fact I like - it is strange that always that BM disappear which the player wants to disappear  ;D)

Offline commander

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 12:33:52 PM »
So this is my thread that I'm starting for my pdf workthrough of the rules. These are things that should be changed about how the rules work. I think this might be opening up a can of worms..... but please, feel free to list your ideas.

All right... voting started....

Overlapping not allowed [Horizon, Plaxor, RCgothic]

==> No overlapping.

MMS (official) [Horizon, Sigoroth, Plaxor]

==> No opinion, yet.

Blasmarkers v1 (marker spec) [Horizon, RCgothic, Plaxor (should still maintain some stuff from faq 2010)]

==> v1 please

Torps 1 marker per d6 [Horizon, Plaxor]

==> Counters can be printed noting their S, just as 'old' markers differed in width.

Base size according to class [Plaxor]

==> Rather depending on number of shields: up to 2 = small; 3+ = large

Unrestricting Teleport attacks [Plaxor]

==> If you mean if the conditions are met (target ship shields down and within 10 cm), yes but NO to multiple teleport attacks from the same ship at the same time.

Tiered BM removal [Plaxor, RCgothic]

==> Can live with that.

Offline Plaxor

• BFG files
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 04:56:02 PM »
Some nice suggestions Eldanesh.

According to my suggestion it would be 21 per turn at 3001 points.

for every 1000 points, or part.

So if you're playing 1000 points, then it would be still only 1d6

1001-2000 would be 2d6

2001-etc.

It accounts for the fact that people generally play 500, 750, 1000, (and then jump to) 1500, 2000 point games. Only really removing 3d6 in very large games, when people are playing with upwards of 3000 points.

However I could see adding a modifier to the roll depending on the points value of the game. Like D6+x (for every 1000 points or something)

I don't think that rolling randomly for each marker is a good idea, as it removes a certain little 'tactic' to the game of where you leave BMs.

Offline Gron

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 08:23:14 PM »
Just realised that the worst contributing factor that pours a bucket of BM's on the table is solar flares. Somehow these mostly occurs in the first or second turn (when I play at least) and after this they are hardly removed at all. Perhaps just not place BM's generated from this at all but resolve everything like they would have been there as normal.

Offline Xyon

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 09:22:19 PM »
That would hamper cool torp tactics. Pity. Not hitting is fly on.

Yeah, but my alternative torp idea would give a different dynamic to torps, it would change torp tactics, but you would not need to keep track of stuff.     Players would probably try to line up more ships to be hit by torps as well.        If a s6 torp wave hits 3-4 ships,   and gets to use all of its 6 strength  against each ship (minus turret hits, or maybe change turrets so they automatically hit torps) then they're generally more effective,  even if you have to remove the whole marker after that one turn of attacks.   And of course, like I said, you would not need to keep track of the changing strength.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 07:46:05 PM »
Blastmarker removal: no change. It works fine as is to me.

Can someone explain me a problem with it?

Offline Plaxor

• BFG files
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 10:52:52 PM »
Roy,

Blastmarkers work fine currently, it's just annoying that I have to have 8000 blast markers on the table to play 2000 points.

Also it doesn't make sense that you would remove the same number of blast markers at 500 points as you would at 3000. At higher points levels it means that blast markers stay on the table longer compared to lower points levels.

Since most of us don't like having the pile o blasts, it's a simple fix.

Edit: Changed Horizon's name to Roy. Sorry for getting it wrong. (I don't know where I got that Idea)

Also most people remove BM's that 'don't matter' in larger games anyways.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 11:02:01 PM by Plaxor »

Offline Admiral_d_Artagnan

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 10:58:13 PM »
Horizon isn't Ray but Roy if I am not mistaken.

Offline RCgothic

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 11:03:13 PM »
I like the "Blast markers removed on a 5+" idea.

Offline Plaxor

• BFG files
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 11:16:55 PM »
I like the "Blast markers removed on a 5+" idea.

It's not a bad thing, but rolling like that can be very hard to keep track of, and it removes a certain tactical advantage/strategy that one can use.

Offline Xyon

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2011, 12:15:35 AM »
It also takes longer to do it that way as you have to point to each one and roll a d6 instead of rolling the total amount you remove.