August 04, 2024, 01:25:45 PM

Author Topic: IA10  (Read 27050 times)

Offline lordgoober

Re: IA10
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2011, 02:31:35 AM »
More precisely,  what's not legal from IA 10 is the transport and the fleet lists.  The ships are going to be part of their respective racial fleet lists. As I said,  I don't know if it's going to wholly work or not and if it ends up a screwup then I'll apologize to everyone there if something blows up. 

Offline BaronIveagh

• Dark Reign
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2011, 04:07:12 AM »
So they can be taken as reserves by SM, Admech, and RT.

Will the Cardinal be permitted for IN?

Damn, you know, Rogue Traders get all the cool toys.
non nobis domine non nobis sed nomine tua da na glorium

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2011, 10:37:48 AM »
Sig, do you see that little symbol down at the bottom of the forgeworld site?

you know what that says? games workshop.

It's part of GW, that means it's rules are viable in official play. You can say "no your a jerk" to forgeworld users, but your more likely to play fewer games.

You can split hairs about it, but they are way more official then our opinions and feelings. They are even more official then the High admiralty. Do I like all their rules? no. Occasionally they come up with something pure gold (XV-9's and the tau crisis suits), and sometimes they are "flying to potato" stupid. 

Rubbish.

Offline BaronIveagh

• Dark Reign
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2011, 06:04:08 PM »
Sig, do you see that little symbol down at the bottom of the forgeworld site?

you know what that says? games workshop.

It's part of GW, that means it's rules are viable in official play. You can say "no your a jerk" to forgeworld users, but your more likely to play fewer games.

You can split hairs about it, but they are way more official then our opinions and feelings. They are even more official then the High admiralty. Do I like all their rules? no. Occasionally they come up with something pure gold (XV-9's and the tau crisis suits), and sometimes they are "flying to potato" stupid. 

Rubbish.

Sadly, not rubbish.  The same people that make what the HA does official also make what this does official.  It's why Dakka was up in arms over the Achilles.  It's stupid tough. 

Most convention tourneys just have a blanket FW Yes/No policy, so just allowing the ships instead of the list is actually more restrictive then most.  Most GW run 40k tourneys permit FW as long as you meet the Super Heavy requirements (IE your list is high enough points for a SH detachment) since most people can't actually afford to field the FW lists.  They're too expensive. 

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2011, 01:28:42 AM »
Sadly, not rubbish.  The same people that make what the HA does official also make what this does official.  It's why Dakka was up in arms over the Achilles.  It's stupid tough. 

Most convention tourneys just have a blanket FW Yes/No policy, so just allowing the ships instead of the list is actually more restrictive then most.  Most GW run 40k tourneys permit FW as long as you meet the Super Heavy requirements (IE your list is high enough points for a SH detachment) since most people can't actually afford to field the FW lists.  They're too expensive. 

Yep, it's rubbish. Just because it has a GW logo on it doesn't mean it's official. Official is something that you can take to a tournament and not have to worry about whether it will be acceptable or not, because it's official. Tournament organisers weighing up whether they'll allow FW rules just goes to show they're not official.

GW shunted the BFG project, along with a heap of other games, across to SG. SG then instituted a rule review board constituting 2 SG employees and 3 fans. Then they instituted a process whereby rules would be published and then feedback received from fans before being ratified, abandoned or adjusted. This system worked well enough. The Necrons, Nids and Kor'vattra Tau are testament to this (if you think they have balance issues now, look at their original iterations).

While this process has slipped quite a ways it is still the case that new rules have to be ratified by the HA (who now consist of the 3 fans and 1 overworked and under-invested SG employee) before being official. "Ratified" now basically means either approved by the 3 active members of the HA and rubber stamped by SG or simply just put up on their website in pdf form.

Offline BaronIveagh

• Dark Reign
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2011, 02:16:22 AM »
Yep, it's rubbish. Just because it has a GW logo on it doesn't mean it's official. Official is something that you can take to a tournament and not have to worry about whether it will be acceptable or not, because it's official. Tournament organisers weighing up whether they'll allow FW rules just goes to show they're not official.

Sig, Tourniment organizers can restrict whatever they want.  I remember one, I want to say Dragoncon, but it's been a while, where I didn't get to compete in the 40k tourney because Tournament Organizers had prohibited Codex: Imperial Guard and Codex: Tyranids. 

GW shunted the BFG project, along with a heap of other games, across to SG. SG then instituted a rule review board constituting 2 SG employees and 3 fans. Then they instituted a process whereby rules would be published and then feedback received from fans before being ratified, abandoned or adjusted. This system worked well enough. The Necrons, Nids and Kor'vattra Tau are testament to this (if you think they have balance issues now, look at their original iterations).

While this process has slipped quite a ways it is still the case that new rules have to be ratified by the HA (who now consist of the 3 fans and 1 overworked and under-invested SG employee) before being official. "Ratified" now basically means either approved by the 3 active members of the HA and rubber stamped by SG or simply just put up on their website in pdf form.

Sig, I hate to rain on your parade, but there's a lot more strings to it then that.  FW also reserves the right to produce offical minis and rules for them for every game GW has made to date. 
FFG has gained an unnatural power over BFG through the use of a mythic substance known as Cashium to basically urinate on BFG's fluff, if they want to.  In theory, FFG could even publish a totally legal, BFG list for the Calixis Sector and the only thing the HA could do in the short term would be to bend over and take it. 

Offline Zelnik

« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2011, 02:19:49 AM »
I am going to ask lordgoober if he will accept my ham sandwich rules for the adepticon tournament.

Offline lordgoober

« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2011, 06:10:05 AM »
You want me to drop a space colony on your head?   :o  ^_-

Offline BaronIveagh

• Dark Reign
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2011, 02:50:31 PM »
Ooooh... colony drop... *gets into his Gundam*

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2011, 03:14:57 PM »
Sig, Tourniment organizers can restrict whatever they want.  I remember one, I want to say Dragoncon, but it's been a while, where I didn't get to compete in the 40k tourney because Tournament Organizers had prohibited Codex: Imperial Guard and Codex: Tyranids. 

Well they were fuckin' morons then. That's their problem and nothing to do with this discussion.

Sig, I hate to rain on your parade, but there's a lot more strings to it then that.  FW also reserves the right to produce offical minis and rules for them for every game GW has made to date. 
FFG has gained an unnatural power over BFG through the use of a mythic substance known as Cashium to basically urinate on BFG's fluff, if they want to.  In theory, FFG could even publish a totally legal, BFG list for the Calixis Sector and the only thing the HA could do in the short term would be to bend over and take it. 

If it doesn't get passed by SG, it aint official. Don't give a flying fuck whether FW boohoo at that or not. They want their rules official, they gotta get 'em approved.

Offline BaronIveagh

• Dark Reign
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2011, 03:59:03 PM »

If it doesn't get passed by SG, it aint official. Don't give a flying fuck whether FW boohoo at that or not. They want their rules official, they gotta get 'em approved.

Sig, maybe you missed it, but SG's rules get ok'ed by GW, not the other way around. 

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2011, 04:07:53 PM »
Sig, maybe you missed it, but SG's rules get ok'ed by GW, not the other way around. 

I doubt that very much.

Offline BaronIveagh

• Dark Reign
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2011, 01:23:33 AM »
I doubt that very much.

I wouldn't.  I read the process.  GW has final say so. 

Oh, and there is this....

As far as we are concerned, it’s all official as-is if GW says it is. If Forgeworld actually comes out with any models to support these new rules, I will be quite happy and might even buy some.

From the HA.

Offline Zhukov

« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2011, 01:48:38 AM »
As far as we are concerned, it’s all official as-is if GW says it is. If Forgeworld actually comes out with any models to support these new rules, I will be quite happy and might even buy some.

???  :o  >:(  :'(

It's nice to see the possibility of new models, but I really doubt these guys even play the game themselves before they write rules for anything.....

-Zhukov
I am Zukov's Klaw.

"Oh mah gawd its like a giant veil was just lifted off my face and the beautiful maiden before my eyes just turned into a hideous Ork with a giant, bloody choppa."

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2011, 01:15:53 PM »
I wouldn't.  I read the process.  GW has final say so. 

Oh, and there is this....

GW wouldn't even have a clue what's happening the realm of BFG. Hell, I imagine they barely have an idea at SG. They'd just take what the HA gives them, rubber stamp it and put the file up.

From the HA.

Yes, this is Nate being a politician. Firstly, GW doesn't say it's official. Point me to one line saying "the ships and lists produced by FW for BFG are official". If FW comes out with models for the ships of course he'll be happy. Most people will. It means we can produce real rules to go with the ships.