September 12, 2024, 10:13:25 PM

Author Topic: Terrain placement system  (Read 3206 times)

Offline Plaxor

• Tyrant of BFG:Revised
    • BFG files
Terrain placement system
« on: December 18, 2010, 05:49:14 PM »
Hey, after playing a game last night where we had no terrain whatsoever, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a more consistent terrain system.

I was thinking something along the lines of escalation. Like the first section that you roll it's a 2+, and if you get a piece of terrain then the next is a 3+, but otherwise it would still be 2+. Then continuing, so the third would be 4+ fourth would be 5+ and fifth would be 6+ etc.

Offline BaronIveagh

• Dark Reign
Re: Terrain placement system
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 06:00:03 PM »
Well, I can say that on my freakishly large table, we use the same system they use for 40k (We roll and then the highest picks location for terrain first, and then the next highest and so on.)

Mind you, we can fit a lot of terrain, though we do double the number of allowed planets.  Though personally I think that the rules should allow for things like binary planets.
non nobis domine non nobis sed nomine tua da na glorium

Offline Plaxor

• BFG files
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 06:02:34 PM »
  Though personally I think that the rules should allow for things like binary planets.

Yes. I usually play that if I roll another planet while setting up I just place it anyways. There are a lot of different things they know about solar systems now that they didn't know 10 years ago.

Offline Plaxor

• BFG files
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 08:12:42 PM »
Like Hot Jupiters for example. There are so many others though, brown dwarfs, although you could argue that a 50cm planet would do fine for that, but it would be good to have radiation bursts, in fact Jupiter has so much magnetic and radioactive effect you could argue radiation bursts around it.

Offline Valhallan

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 02:24:42 AM »
interesting that this popped up without me... I just finished a course on astrophysics, and have been setting up terrain according to Lagrange points whenever I get a planet (sun-planet system) and moons (planet-moon systems). google up 'Lagrange Points' and research a bit on how interstellar objects find equilibrium between gravitational fields...

when i'm lazy i split up the board into 2x2 foot chunks and they have terrain on a 4+ (scattered from the center of the square).

Jupiter's mag field wouldn't cause radiation bursts per say, but might cause communication breakdown within' is area of effect (which happens to be bigger than our sun) so I wouldn't recommend trying that one out.

hot jupiters are cool, showing that gas giants can actually form in the so-called 'habitable' zone instead of exculsivly at large distances from a local star. most likely these are just failed suns (*most* stars are actually binary stars). it could be cool to try a battle pretty close in (flare/mercurial) where there are two sun side edges - though this would be too much of a boon to eldar. it could make some really deadly WB fire though.

maybe more later.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 07:22:46 PM »
I think the rulebook system works fine.

Offline Plaxor

• BFG files
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 01:22:19 AM »
It does work fine usually. I just was brainstorming a system where there would always be something.