October 28, 2024, 11:21:00 AM

Author Topic: First time GM running campaign - any advice?  (Read 5451 times)

Offline squattingmouse

• Lurker
First time GM running campaign - any advice?
« on: May 19, 2009, 06:01:54 PM »
Right then......

I've volunteered to run a short campaign for our Mordheim group in the summer hols (I'm a teacher and I'll have the time to run it then).  So far I've laid some ground rules -

1) NO space marines - I have a plan for a scenario involving them under my control
2) 28mm scale as we all have some 40k models that are suitable and to save issues with scenery
3) It's not about winning it's about the story and I will not try to kill someone off unless it serves a dramatic purpose
4) Awards will be given for in character actions and feats of bravery.

I'll save the details of my intended plot line (the sneaky players may be reading this) and someone more experienced is giving me advice on setting it all up but I was wondering if there is anything else?  I've downloaded all the rulebooks and all three source books to read through again as I deleted them a while ago, created(ish) my setting and I think that's it....

Oh and anyone got the genestealer rules?  I can't find them anywhere and need a point of reference for something I'm creating (mwuhahahahaha).
"If at first you don't succeed then next time hit it with something bigger"

Offline Kaled

• `Twas brillig, and the slithy toves...
    • The Inquisitorial Archive
Re: First time GM running campaign - any advice?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 07:48:28 PM »
You might want to give all the character sheets a once over before players convert their characters.  Players of 40k are used to using a lot of power and bolt weapons, whereas in Inquisitor those are powerful weapons easily capable of taking someone out of the game with one hit.  You might want to negotiate such things as weapons, equipment and armour with the players.  It's also worth reminding them that Inquisitor is not just about combat, and there are sometimes other ways to achieve your objective - sometimes a character with little obvious combat prowess can be the key to 'winning'.  Another thing I'd suggest is to limit people to 2-3 characters to start with and don't have more than about 10 models on the table in total (preferably less) - otherwise the game will slow to a crawl, especially if you and your players are new to it.

For me, one of the best things about Inquisitor is it gives you the opportunity to explore the universe away from the warzone - you don't have to pick archetypes from a codex, you can have anyone in the Imperium in your warband, so I think it's worth encouraging players to not just use models taken straight from their favourite army and to think outside the box.

If you're looking for more resources, you might want to have a dig around on The Conclave - you should find some useful links from there (including the 'stealer rules).  PM me if you sign up and I'll make sure your account is activated.

- Dave
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

The Inquisitorial Gallery

Offline squattingmouse

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 08:12:22 PM »
We were going to generate characters in one session all together before the start of the campaign.  I was going to stick a point limit on warbands.  I have reserved the right to doctor kit/profiles.  All I'm asking for at the moment is if they're puritan, moderate or radical and their main characters philosophy.

Thanks for that - I'll get back to you on conclave membership as I may have tried whilst this forum was down......

Offline Kaled

• `Twas brillig, and the slithy toves...
    • The Inquisitorial Archive
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 09:29:43 PM »
We were going to generate characters in one session all together before the start of the campaign.  I was going to stick a point limit on warbands.  I have reserved the right to doctor kit/profiles.
Don't use the ready reckoner - it's worse than useless as it doesn't give a good indicator of the 'power' of a character and can be very misleading and abused easily.  Generating characetrs as a group is a better idea, as is doctoring equipment & profiles once generated.  If I were you I'd also reserve the right to change things after the campaign starts if a particular character turns out to be stronger/weaker than expected.

I'll see what I can do about your Conclave membership...
I like to remember things my own way... Not necessarily the way they happened.

The Inquisitorial Gallery

Offline squattingmouse

• Lurker
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 09:48:37 PM »
Thanks for that - I'll start thinking of excuses for limiting equipment.  I already have one witch hunter warband who have asked for one normal sized flamer......