September 12, 2024, 08:16:43 PM

Author Topic: List of flawed ships  (Read 290373 times)

Offline lastspartacus

Re: List of flawed ships
« Reply #915 on: February 23, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
An all lance ship...why do I imagine a battery sitting on a flight base? ^^

Offline Admiral_d_Artagnan

« Reply #916 on: February 23, 2011, 10:30:11 PM »
If that's the case then the Gothic BC should be fine at 210 even without the power ram.

Weapon Batteries on top? Or are we sticking with Lances?

Lances. If it were batteries on top, I'd push the broadsides to 45 cm.

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #917 on: February 24, 2011, 01:20:09 AM »
still think it should at least have the option for 45cm lances....

comparable to the dominion... so +50pnts?

+30 pts at most. Consider a range bump of 15cm to 6 WBs = +10 pts, the equivalent to lances would be +15 most likely. Times two = 30 pts. For convergent evidence we can also consider the Dev/Styx comparison. Dev + 2 dorsal 60cm lances (& CB status) = 220 pts. +15cm range on prow WBs x 2 = +10 x 2 = +20 pts = 240 pts. Styx swaps out 2 45cm broadside lances in exchange for AC #5 & 6 for +20 pts. With Dominion at 260 pts, swapping AC #5 & 6 for 2 45cm broadside lances should cost 20 pts less (ie, 240 pts).

Further, comparing to the Armageddon we see a typical Gothic/Lunar comparison with the exception of the range shift on the Armageddon's WBs. I would account that as worth +5 pts. For justification of this value, consider the targeting matrix on the Mars. Though this is superior to simply ignoring a range shift it is rarely worth the cost for the Mars and most people don't take it. On the other hand, even if it just ignored range shifts, it would be close to being worth it on the Overlord, since this ship has +33% more firepower than the putative strength 6 WB we're using here and benefits over a longer range (30cm rather than just 15cm). Assuming true at +5 pts per 15cm per 6WBe then this works out to be a value of 13.3 pts for the Overlord, when just ignoring the range shift. When we account the left shift when within 30cm then this pushes the actual value over the 15 pt cost.

So given the targeting matrix is worth it on the Overlord though not quite worth it on the Mars and given typical Lunar/Gothic comparisons and given the Dev/Styx comparison and given the typical range upgrade costs for WBs, and given that the Armageddon pays +5 pts over the typical range upgrade costs due to it having lances then I conclude the cost of +5 pts per 6WBe per 15cm to be about right. At least, to do otherwise would be quite incongruous.

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #918 on: February 24, 2011, 02:05:33 AM »
You believe the max dorsal hardpoint is S3. I believe it's possible especially with the reduction of the torp strength. More space in the prow area to add one more dorsal lance.

Hmm, I'm with RCG here. If you want to talk right out of the box, ie, PK style, then sure, we can do just about anything. If we're talking a more modular weapon configuration a la typical IN ships then I think that precedent should be observed wherever possible. It makes for a stronger case anyway. You open yourself to attack if you don't. In this case you've explained where you're getting the extra lance from (prow) but I would still say no to 4 dorsal lances. This is for a few reasons.

1). Of the dorsal weapon hardpoint options the lance one is by far the strongest. Even if we deliver parity in terms of increasing the maximum possible WBs in this slot to 9 (as I firmly believe we should) then the lances is still the strongest option.

2). You are going beyond the strongest in this hardpoint. This will establish precedent for 4 dorsal lances for other designs. A bad idea.

To get around this you could split the weaponry. You could make it 3 dorsal lances and 1 prow lance. This spreads the load as far as crits are concerned and doesn't set a bad dorsal hardpoint precedent. However, I do believe it still sets a bad prow precedent. So far all prow lances in IN/Chaos ships have been F only, not LFR: Despoiler, Hades, Murder, Dauntless (don't even bring up that piece of poo the Defiant). Secondly there is only one precedent for mixed prow torps/direct weaponry with the increased prow armour; the Endeavour. To achieve this the ship loses two thirds its torps and only picks up 1 third its potential WB equivalent (going off the versatile LFR Chaos alternative to torps). So, if you were going to do this then I could see a 3 torp, 3WB LFR (45cm because it's a BB) prow armament with the 6+ armour no probs. Less if you're using a cruisers prow to model the ship (I don't know if you're thinking half plastic or half metal or what). If you're using a BB prow and think that the Endeavour loses too much for is mix (not an entirely unreasonable argument) then I could see 4-6 torps maybe on top of the 3WB@45cmLFR. I would be less inclined to a swinging lance and/ore 60cm range.

Yes we did buff the FP12 of the Ret but we reduced the range to 45 cm to get that firepower. If the Ret's firepower was buffed AND the range remained at 60 cm (which I believe SHOULD be), you would have a case. As it is you do not.

Here I again agree with RCG. Range is nice. Firepower is necessary. 18WB@45cm may be "equivalent" to 12WB@60cm in terms of what a hardpoint could provide, but the former is by far the more potent option. It is definitely a buff.

Your point 1 assumes the dorsal lance is reduced to 3. If you keep it, it works almost as well. FP12 firing at 60 cm gives the Invincible one more round of firing with all its weapons (FP12 which is 6 dice against a closing target backed up by Str 4 lances) vs a Ret which loses its WBs if the target is beyond 45 cm and has a difference of 3 dice with the WBs when they engage at 45 cm against a closing target (9 vs 6). I am fine with FP12@60 cm for what is essentially a light battleship.

Yes, 12@60cm seems fine for a BL to me too. I admit to not having read the entire discussion up to this point, and only have a vague sense of what profiles we're talking about, but isn't this a fast BB? If so then FP 12 broadsides + 3 dorsal lances + 6 prow torps seems sufficient to me.

Eldar have battleships at 10. Should Eldar battleships have 12 hits then by your logic? How about the base Nid hive ship? Starts out at 10. Yes people bump the HS up to 14 but hey, no reason why you can't keep the 10 hits. Demiurg. 10 HP battleships. I don't see any reason why an IN ship cannot have something similar esp with the speed addition. I don't think losing 2 shields is enough to offset the mass penalty if the Invincible is still the size of a regular battleship even if you reduce the dorsal lances to 3.

Heh, well I do believe Eldar BBs should have 12 hits. They're large enough, they're made of Wraithbone and the Eldar are technologically advanced. I don't see why they shouldn't have 12 hits. In terms of balance I would make them behave a little differently and make their loss have a greater impact but I don't see why they shouldn't have 12 hits. The Stronghold is a very large ship and should really be 12 hits. It's silly that it's only 10. The Custodian is big enough, in my estimation, to qualify for 12 hits (certainly more than twice the size of a Protector!) but presuming that it was left at 10 hits I would see its classification come down to cruiser rather than BB. As for the Hiveships, well without easy access to the refits I think they should just be 12 hits.

So, to be honest, I don't see any current BB in the game worthy of the moniker as deserving to have less than 12 hits. While some races may call a smaller ship a BB, to me the game should treat that ship as a cruiser. The only way I could see a BB being less than 12 hits presently is if some backward race hadn't mastered movement well enough to be able to turn even their CG sized vessels before 15cm. But even then, it's pretty much a special rule of a dumb arse race.

#6. 2 dice to determine critical hits is a ridiculous system when compared to the identical average result of crits on a 5+.

No, your way makes you ship crit easier since you need a 5+ and blow up faster since you get +1 to your crit roll. 2 rolls needing 6s are not easy to achieve much less getting rolls of 10-12. Any hits that get through your version's 2 shield means rolls. My version at least needs to have 1 go through 1 more shield. Yes 1 "6" can come up faster than normal. 2 "6"s are also possible. 5+ and +1 to crit rolls are more dangerous on a ship though than rolling 2 dice for crits.

Hmm, wait on d'Art, what's your version of the crits? Isn't it 2 rolls for every hit? If so then this will have the exact same average number of crits as critting on a 5+. Critting on a 5+ will give 12 crits out of 36  hits. Rolling twice will give 10 x 1 crit + 1 x 2 crits = 12 crits out of 36 hits. Maybe I'm misremembering.

Offline Admiral_d_Artagnan

« Reply #919 on: February 24, 2011, 02:22:49 AM »
Hmm, I'm with RCG here. If you want to talk right out of the box, ie, PK style, then sure, we can do just about anything. If we're talking a more modular weapon configuration a la typical IN ships then I think that precedent should be observed wherever possible. It makes for a stronger case anyway. You open yourself to attack if you don't. In this case you've explained where you're getting the extra lance from (prow) but I would still say no to 4 dorsal lances. This is for a few reasons.

Mainly, I just think its possible but I don't mind the dorsal lances to get down to Str 3.

Here I again agree with RCG. Range is nice. Firepower is necessary. 18WB@45cm may be "equivalent" to 12WB@60cm in terms of what a hardpoint could provide, but the former is by far the more potent option. It is definitely a buff.

Yes, 12@60cm seems fine for a BL to me too. I admit to not having read the entire discussion up to this point, and only have a vague sense of what profiles we're talking about, but isn't this a fast BB? If so then FP 12 broadsides + 3 dorsal lances + 6 prow torps seems sufficient to me.

Oh, I agree. I would prefer firepower more, especially on a true battleship like the Retribution. As the Invincible is a battleship light or true battlecruiser, I think FP12@60cm is enough. What RCG wants is for the Invincible to have FP15@60cm which I think would tread onto the role of the Retribution.

Heh, well I do believe Eldar BBs should have 12 hits. They're large enough, they're made of Wraithbone and the Eldar are technologically advanced. I don't see why they shouldn't have 12 hits. In terms of balance I would make them behave a little differently and make their loss have a greater impact but I don't see why they shouldn't have 12 hits. The Stronghold is a very large ship and should really be 12 hits. It's silly that it's only 10. The Custodian is big enough, in my estimation, to qualify for 12 hits (certainly more than twice the size of a Protector!) but presuming that it was left at 10 hits I would see its classification come down to cruiser rather than BB. As for the Hiveships, well without easy access to the refits I think they should just be 12 hits.

So, to be honest, I don't see any current BB in the game worthy of the moniker as deserving to have less than 12 hits. While some races may call a smaller ship a BB, to me the game should treat that ship as a cruiser. The only way I could see a BB being less than 12 hits presently is if some backward race hadn't mastered movement well enough to be able to turn even their CG sized vessels before 15cm. But even then, it's pretty much a special rule of a dumb arse race.

Well, at the moment, I am only looking at the available stats. But even them, the Invincible being discussed is a fast battleship or true battlecruiser. I just don't believe it should have enough hits as a true battleship.

Hmm, wait on d'Art, what's your version of the crits? Isn't it 2 rolls for every hit? If so then this will have the exact same average number of crits as critting on a 5+. Critting on a 5+ will give 12 crits out of 36  hits. Rolling twice will give 10 x 1 crit + 1 x 2 crits = 12 crits out of 36 hits. Maybe I'm misremembering.

Yes, 2 crit rolls per hit. The average number of crits will come out the same, yes, but the my problem with RCG's version is it also adds a +1 to the crit roll. So easier to reach the high crits. Penalizes the ship twice on top of only having 2 shields.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 03:12:05 AM by Admiral_d_Artagnan »

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #920 on: February 24, 2011, 03:00:23 AM »
Just looked at the poll results. Shame on you people, thinking that Nothing Does Exist. Where did you get your brains, a lucky dip bin at a Sunday market? Next you'll be nattering on about the speed of darkness and using mirrors to reflect cold ...

Offline Taggerung

« Reply #921 on: February 24, 2011, 03:34:54 AM »
Nothing exists as a concept, and a word...so yes it does exist.

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #922 on: February 24, 2011, 04:20:07 AM »
Nothing exists as a concept, and a word...so yes it does exist.

The concept might exist, but not what the concept conceptualises. A word is a word, not what the word means.

To clarify further, if you had said "does the word nothing exist" the answer is yes. If you had said "does the concept of nothing exist" the answer is yes. The question wasn't either of these however. If we were to follow your logic then the answer to the question "does God exist" would have to be yes, since both the concept of God and the word God exist.

Another refutation to the question "does nothing exist" is "no, some things exist" (ie, I exist, and I am not nothing therefore "nothing exists" is a false statement).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 04:31:03 AM by Sigoroth »

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #923 on: February 24, 2011, 06:31:36 AM »
Good call.

Offline RCgothic

« Reply #924 on: February 24, 2011, 12:28:25 PM »
To bring people up to speed on the Invincible, these are the two proposed profiles:

Admiral's:

Battleship 10 Shields 3 Speed25 Turns 45 Armour 6+/5+ Turrets 4
Prow 6 Torps
Dorsal 4 Lances@60cm L/F/R
P/SB Weapons Batteries FP12@60cm
Special Rules: May not come to new heading, rolls 2D6 per hit to check for Crits.

Mine:

Battleship 12 Shields 2 Speed25 Turns 45 Armour 6+/5+ Turrets 3 or 4.
Prow 6 Torps
Dorsal 3 Lances @60cm L/F/R
P/SB Weapons Batteries FP15@60cm.
Special Rules: May not CTNH, suffers Critical Hits on a 5+ and a +1 modifier on the critical hits chart.

Basically, the original profile of the Invincible (You can find it in the additional ships compendium), was meant to be a True Battlecruiser, but they screwed up a bit and only made a fast-cruiser with unfixed Retribution level firepower.

Admiral's Profile would work fine if we were going for a Light Battleship, but that's not what we're going for.

So how have I arrived at my version profile for a true battlecruiser? In the following, I'll go through the design process and a comparison with Admiral's:

Hits:
True Battlecruisers are as big as Battleships, with the same crew complement. They'll do you the same damage if they ram you or board you, and they'll have comparable damage control capabilities. These things all demand 12 Hits.

As for Xenos battleships having 10 hits, as Sigoroth said there's actually a pretty good case to be made for them having 12 hits. But even so, these are different hulls and so you can get away with different hits. Invincible uses the exact same hull as Retribution. There's no getting around the fact that every capital ship based on that hull has 12 hits, and there's no reason to set a precedent.

Admiral raised the idea of a supertanker that displaces the same as the battleship Yammato. I wouldn't give that 12 hits would I? Well actually I would. It's got the same mass, and it will do you the same damage if it hits you. It would definitely lose those hits much faster, and I'd probably give it AV1+ or Av2+ combined with special rules that halve its damage rolls and boarding value.

At this point I have to eat humble pie and admit I screwed up my math for my earlier toughness analysis. Nevertheless, here's how they compare against each other:

Retribution: 12 hits + 4 shields - (1/6*11) critical hits * 0.49 hits per critical = 15.1 hits 1-turn endurance.
Admiral's: 10 hits + 3 shields - (1/3*9) critical hits*0.49 hits per critical = 11.5 hits 1-turn endurance.
RC's: 12 hits + 2 shields - (1/3*11) critical hits*0.75 hits per critical = 11.14 hits 1-turn endurance.

Both are significantly weaker than a Retribution, though there's less than half a hit in it. But if you're taking that much firepwoer in one turn, you'll likely be braced, in which case mine has an additional 2 hits it can save against, gains an extra hit in comparison to Admiral's and so wins by more than half a hit. Mine is also stronger against things that ignore shields, like torps, AC, ramming and boarding. Admiral's is much stronger in a battle of attrition - 2 gothics will kill mine in about 5 turns. 2 Gothics would kill Admiral's in about 9. Admiral's is a good Light Battleship. Mine's a better Battlecruiser.

Weapons:
The purpose of True Battlecruisers also mean they are armed similiarly to Battleships - that's the whole point of them - strong enough to outgun anything smaller than them, fast enough to outrun anything tougher. Admiral has been his usual conservative self and recycled the original profile's weapons - but here's the thing. A profile can't have S4 Dorsals. It just can't. The maximum dorsal hardpoint is S3 Lances. As for Hardpoint bleed-over, I seem to recall a certain someone being particularly inflexible about allowing the Defiant the same thing, so I'm not letting that argument fly unless we're willing to re-open the Defiant's armament.

With S3 Dorsals, Admiral's Profile outguns an Armageddon by less than one lance - not by enough that the Armageddon wouldn't fancy having a go. FP12 is just too low.

So my profile proposes FP15@60cm and 3 Dorsal lances. This is actually less broadside firepower@60cm than Admiral's 4L and 12WB proposal, so that can't be the objection. The objection seems to be that it's somehow stronger than a Retribution's FP18@45cm. I think this is rubbish - the Retribution's FP18 can expect to score an additional hit in 3/4 of cases, and the extra 15cm of range isn't so impressive as to more than make up for that - expecting just one hit against capital ships abeam at long range. The two are equivalent. The reason mine doesn't have FP18 is that as a battlecruiser Invincible is going to be far less at home in the centre of an enemy fleet - the range is important.

Another possible objection is that IN WB hardpoints go 6@30, 5@45, 4@60 - this is nowhere near universal, with the Mars, Armageddon, Emperor, Oberon and Fixed Retribution all providing counter examples, so that's not a strong objection either. FP5@60cm per hardpoint is perfectly acceptable.

The final objection is that it goes after the Retribution's role - this really won't be the case, because the Retribution is a Linebreaker and the Invincible is stand-off. This is slightly down to the weapons having less strength/more range, but mainly down to the Invincible just not being able to hold its own in the centre of a hostile fleet. The Retribution is better for leading a charge of line breakers, whilst the Invincible is better in a harrassing role.

Other:
So it's 12 hits, and has the firepower of a proper battleship and not just a light one. What can be done to make it into a True Battlecruiser? Speed 25, obviously. The game's Armour doesn't have fine enough grades to distinguish the armour of a battleship from the armour of a cruiser, so the armour of a battlecruiser isn't going to be distinguished either, it's still going to be 6+/5+.

But we still have to make it more fragile to be a battlecruiser - this means fewer shields, possibly fewer turrets, and some special rules. I think 2 shields captures the feel of a battlecruiser better - with 12 hits, 3 shields is nearly a battleship.

Both Admiral and I have adopted 1/3 of hits cause criticals (though my 5+ is much neater than his 2D6), whilst I've got an additional +1 modifier on the Critical Chart. Admiral calls this excessive punishment (though without it my version has significantly stronger 1-turn endurance than his), whilst I call it fluffy for a Battlecruiser to be extremely vulnerable to mishaps.

And there you have it.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 04:39:51 PM by RCgothic »

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #925 on: February 24, 2011, 01:38:08 PM »
Heh, talk about a subjective recap.

;)

Offline RCgothic

« Reply #926 on: February 24, 2011, 01:46:48 PM »
It was only meant to be a recap of what the 2 profiles were.

The rest is me clarifying my argument for my profile over Admiral's, which has been due since he posted in defence of his views yesterday.

Also, I would propose that the picture of the Slaughter Class be photoshopped to have 1WB deck and 1L deck and solve this 'combi-deck' nonsense.

Offline Valhallan

« Reply #927 on: February 24, 2011, 08:02:36 PM »
if the proposed invincible has 15 WB at 60 and 3 dorsal lances, then it is solidly better than the ret on broadsides - at range, which it's speed makes sure of. then i'd have to say it would have to cost 360. drop maybe 20pnts for less shields, and -10 for rough crits, and your looking at 330ish.

dropping the FP to 12 at 60 makes it so it still outguns CB's, CG's (well, on par with a repulsive, but faster). I see no problem with this. in fact isn't that the broadside of a fixed despoiler? so there should be no real arguement.

12 hits, 2 shields, 3 turrets, 25cm move
6 prow torps
3 dorsal 60cm lances
FP12 at 60 broadsides.

either of the funny crit rules, and 300-325 points range.

______
sig, the question was not ' for all existance: nothing' (if that was the case, then your 'i exist' arguement works). but rather for all existance, there exists nothing. so you'd have to claim that everything exists to negate nothing existing at all...

but then again nothing is part of everything, so it must exist, however if there is a nothing, something doesn't exist.

Offline RCgothic

« Reply #928 on: February 24, 2011, 08:35:37 PM »
if the proposed invincible has 15 WB at 60 and 3 dorsal lances, then it is solidly better than the ret on broadsides - at range, which it's speed makes sure of. then i'd have to say it would have to cost 360. drop maybe 20pnts for less shields, and -10 for rough crits, and your looking at 330ish.

dropping the FP to 12 at 60 makes it so it still outguns CB's, CG's (well, on par with a repulsive, but faster). I see no problem with this. in fact isn't that the broadside of a fixed despoiler? so there should be no real arguement.

FP15@60cm is not better than FP18@45cm.

The Invincible with FP15@60cm will expect to score 1 hit with its WBs against 5+ capital ship abeam at range 45-60. That's 2.5 hits total compared to a Retribution's 1.5. In every subsequent turn, the Retribution is rolling 1-2 more dice than the Invincible, easily making that initial 1 hit back. In addition, when it breaks the enemy's line it will be scoring 7.5 hits per turn in comparison to the Invincible's 4.5 if it closes to within 30cm and stands off - otherwise the Invincible is stuck with 2.5hits per turn.

In addition, the Retribution will probably be closing whilst the Invincible is firing abeam - whilst the Invincible is firing broadsides at 45-60cm and scoring 2.5hits per turn, the Retribution will be in position to fire its torps - these can do up to 2.6 hits PAST shields (plus hits against secondary targets) in addition to its 1.5hits from lances.

The assertion that the Invincible would be more powerful than a Retribution is preposterous. And an Apocalypse can do 4 hits per turn at the same range as it - it blows the Invincible away. Even an Oberon competes strongly in terms of guns (with attack craft in addition!)

As Sigoroth said, Range is nice, Firepower is a neccesity.

Also, my proposed version has less firepower@60cm than Admiral's original proposed version with 1 more lance and 3 fewer WBs, so I'm sure absolute power really can't be an issue.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 09:08:25 PM by RCgothic »

Offline RCgothic

« Reply #929 on: February 24, 2011, 09:41:36 PM »
Blast Marker removal:

We currently have blast markers being removed by points. I don't think this is quite right - in large games, the initial skirmishes and final mopping up blast markers will vanish nearly instantly.

I think it should be a D6 for every 10 blast markers or part thereof in play. It makes sense that the more there are, the faster they disappear, and it also scales with game size.