August 04, 2024, 11:23:28 PM

Author Topic: Inquisition DRAFT v1.5 (HA)  (Read 42708 times)

Offline Admiral_d_Artagnan

Re: Inquisition DRAFT v1.5 (HA)
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2011, 10:19:27 PM »
@Zelnik: It's not about hate. I had a GK army before. I just don't see GKs meriting a Battle Barge. Strike Cruisers would be enough to transport the whole kit and kaboodle anywhere they're needed. They never had a Battle Barge when they were created so they wouldn't get hand me downs. The IN fleet which the Inquisition could appropriate is enough if they needed to exterminate a planet. That's just my position. Nothing about hate. If i think based on background they have a dreadnought, hey, I would push for it. But as it is, I just don't think they merit one at this stage.

@lastspartacus: sure there's no risk. There's been defections of true battleships, even moreso with the lesser stuff. From IN to SM Chapters. And you think a ship with psykers even with Sororitas won't defect?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 10:22:57 PM by Admiral_d_Artagnan »

Offline Zelnik

« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2011, 10:24:23 PM »
Where does it say the grey knights don't have a barge?

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2011, 11:27:40 PM »
Doubt its ever happened.  And its a lame reason not to better protect it :)  You could argue the same for every defensive implement.  But thats not how the Imperium does things.

« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2011, 11:37:43 PM »
Where does it say the grey knights don't have a barge?

Where does it say that they do?

« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2011, 11:39:44 PM »
Doubt its ever happened.  And its a lame reason not to better protect it :)  You could argue the same for every defensive implement.  But thats not how the Imperium does things.

Again, it already is better protected than an IN battleship. Anything more and they would have a hard time taking it down it it does defect. So it may be a lame reason but still a valid reason nonetheless and a reason I have given. You haven't given any valid reason why it should have 6+ all around armor.

Offline Zelnik

« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2011, 11:59:39 PM »
Are you serious? did you just say that?  REALLY?

Admiral, if someone asks you to back up your statement, you either show evidence or say "i have none". Every damn argument you make from this moment foreword had better have evidence backing it up or you will be ignored from this moment onward.

you don't just go "who says they do?" It lowers the intellectual level of the forum and makes you look like a troll.

back up your claims.

But to answer your question: They are a space marine chapter.  Every space marine chapter GETS A BARGE.  Even the newest and most untested chapters get barges.  Grey knights are sent to invade demon worlds, rogue chapters and anything involving demon infestation. Some of these things REQUIRE a barge (especially exterminatus missions)

Offline lastspartacus

« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2011, 12:22:38 AM »
SM lances method of argumentation much?

But I possess no vitriol like the above statement :)

« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2011, 12:31:05 AM »
Are you serious? did you just say that?  REALLY?

Admiral, if someone asks you to back up your statement, you either show evidence or say "i have none". Every damn argument you make from this moment foreword had better have evidence backing it up or you will be ignored from this moment onward.

you don't just go "who says they do?" It lowers the intellectual level of the forum and makes you look like a troll.

back up your claims.

But to answer your question: They are a space marine chapter.  Every space marine chapter GETS A BARGE.  Even the newest and most untested chapters get barges.  Grey knights are sent to invade demon worlds, rogue chapters and anything involving demon infestation. Some of these things REQUIRE a barge (especially exterminatus missions)

Not all the new Chapters get BBs. Claims work both ways as well as ignoring arguments. So, show/back up your claim as well. You show it, I'll change my position. Otherwise, we're just both in the same boat of having no evidence to back things up.

The way GKs work, they normally are called in along with the Inquisitors to assist them. Rarely does the whole GK go into one battle together. With Exterminatus missions, they can get assistance from the IN assuming the SC is not enough.

« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2011, 12:32:16 AM »
SM lances method of argumentation much?

But I possess no vitriol like the above statement :)

Yeah and those lances have to go through 5 shields before it starts eating into the ship's structure. Means at least 2 Gothics, most likely 3. Not that easy. At which point, the defecting Black Ship goes into warp and a shipload of Psykers is now lost.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 05:04:14 AM by Admiral_d_Artagnan »

Offline Zelnik

« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2011, 06:23:24 AM »
Directly from Lexicanum

Most chapters control two or three Battle Barges designed to deploy a fighting force to planets in a rapid fashion.

This information comes DIRECTLY from the BFG rulebook.

I am asking for -one-.

Shut up, admiral and troll somewhere else.

Offline Plaxor

• Tyrant of BFG:Revised
    • BFG files
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2011, 06:30:10 AM »
The Grey knights don't seem like they would use a battle-barge. They're slow for one thing, and another it doesn't seem likely that they would need a large contingent of grey knights ever. In the fluff the few times that they are mentioned there is never more than 30 in one place (although we will be seeing differently with the new GK codex... ugh... ruined my favorite 40k army, Inquisition with inducted guard).

So battlebarge isn't something necessary for them, or even likely, as they are so alien to any other marine chapter out there.

Offline Zelnik

« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2011, 06:43:57 AM »
So they attack space marine homeworlds, demon worlds, or other barges with strike cruisers alone? why do i not believe this?

They are still a chapter, alien and mysterious, but they still have access to all of the same toys.

Offline Sigoroth

« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2011, 06:50:47 AM »
I imagine that if the GKs are chastising another SM chapter it would be with the support of the IN. They are after all, meant to be the ones holding all the cards in space. Doesn't make much sense for a force dedicated to defeating SMs (amongst other things) to be riding around in ships that give the SMs a fair fight.

Offline horizon

• Veteran member
  • Destiny Infinity Eternity
« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2011, 06:52:16 AM »
Heya,

Grey Knights, tidbits:
Most of the Chapter's strength is spread through the Imperium, ensuring that the fighting skills of the Grey Knights can be quickly called upon by the Ordo Malleus wherever a daemonic incursion may occur. These small forces are often stationed thousands of light years from their fortress-monastery for decades at a time, and are usually organised into small teams that have trained and fought together for their entire lives.
Most of the Chapter's strength is spread through the Imperium, ensuring that the fighting skills of the Grey Knights can be quickly called upon by the Ordo Malleus wherever a daemonic incursion may occur. These small forces are often stationed thousands of light years from their fortress-monastery for decades at a time, and are usually organised into small teams that have trained and fought together for their entire lives.
The Grey Knights have a special preference for the use of teleportation, or more specifically the use of deep strike technology. There is a beautiful irony in using the origin of the enemy as a means of transport, and then proceeding to purge the surrounding area of their taint.
Chapter fleet
Like other Space Marine chapters, the Grey Knights' primary mode of transportation is the strike cruiser class of ship that is exclusive to the chapters of the Adeptus Astartes. The Grey Knights' ships however are specially modified in several ways. One is the hexagrammic and anti-daemonic wards that are built into the entire ship from bridge to landing struts and every bulkhead in between, similar to those that are placed under the skin of the Grey Knights themselves that lend the ship added protection from the forces of Chaos. Also, the Grey Knights' strike cruisers are equipped with significantly more advanced armour than the ships of other chapters. This is to allow them to close with more powerful foes and reach their destination safely since the Grey Knights have to fight more powerful enemies than the standard Adeptus Astartes chapters. Finally, the landing and drop pod bays are enlarged to be able to deploy larger numbers of marines faster.
The modifications to their ships are made possible by two factors. The first is their fortress monastery's location in the rings of Saturn, its close proximity to Mars, the greatest forge world in the Imperium of Man, allowing access to technology that was forgotten or is impossible to replicate anywhere else in the Imperium (this could also explain the high quality of all Grey Knights equipment). The other reason is the resources that the Ordo Malleus gives the Grey Knights due to their close working relationship as the Ordo's Chamber Militant.

So:
small in numbers per station. Elite. Special Strike Cruisers.

I think they will use more Strike Cruisers indeed. with special teleporters (teleport through shields?), faster, extra anti-daemon protection. And to their stealthy tactics a barge is less suited.

Offline Plaxor

• Tyrant of BFG:Revised
    • BFG files
« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2011, 06:58:37 AM »
I dunno about those quotes... Mars loses at making plasma weapons... Ryza is win in that field... every decent plasma-armed thing came out of that forge world.